Water mod : Why it's not official?

UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
...Or at least implemented in NS2.

I find that it can add a lot to the game and to mapper (yes i plan that). If it is working properly; why not including it ?

More generally it would be great to have some entities that allow to change something like gravity, view effects etc... When player enters the entities the "setting" apply.

Comments

• SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Because it would never pass the quality checks. There is no swim animation, there are still bugs, there is sounds from the original ns game.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Do we really need a specific swim animation?
    Take a marine running and turn it 90°.
    For skulk it's the same as running...

well...
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Do we really need a specific swim animation?
    Take a marine running and turn it 90°.
    For skulk it's the same as running...

well...

lol that won't look too good...
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Better than nothing...
  • CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
    Do you realy need a pool in a map?!?
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    CarNagE1 wrote: »
    It's worlds more than just a "pool". It's water splashes, sounds, drains, structure damage, water spouts.
    CarNagE1 wrote: »

I would say "more than that". But i doubt development would go as far as industrialize the entity stuff i described above.

Water allows more "light games" than the usual "atmospheric" and / or metal (reflection) stuff.

• lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    edited June 2014
    Since when is the underwater part of a shooter a good thing? Generally they're the weakest part of any game in the genre.

Even assuming there's a use for being underwater in a map, it's a very expensive feature to implement in an acceptable, modern way.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited June 2014
    @Mouse had to drain ns_hydrocity of all it's water, I don't like that!
  • NS-SoldierNS-Soldier Join Date: 2013-01-16 Member: 179856Members
    natural selection 2 players does not know how to swim
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    Actually wow I never really thought about it but imagine what a water patch could do for maps in this game as far as a new map environment goes. Instead of all the clean style maps we have now there could be leaky pipes and puddles ect. Really create that warn down rusty space base environment.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    ZEROibis wrote: »
    Actually wow I never really thought about it but imagine what a water patch could do for maps in this game as far as a new map environment goes. Instead of all the clean style maps we have now there could be leaky pipes and puddles ect. Really create that warn down rusty space base environment.

The mod would need a lot of work before it really felt like a part of the game. I played around with it a little while back, but it always felt jerky and just odd to move underwater. Not to mention the art would need a bit of a spit shine (ie water rolling down the screen when you get out).
    BeigeAlert wrote: »

The mod would need a lot of work before it really felt like a part of the game. I played around with it a little while back, but it always felt jerky and just odd to move underwater. Not to mention the art would need a bit of a spit shine (ie water rolling down the screen when you get out).

Water rolling down the screen is not supposed to be there.
    SamusDroid wrote: »

I mean it would be added.
    edited July 2014

Not every game needs unrealistic water dripping off a screen. I don't see water dropping on my face when it's wet ;)

Not every game needs unrealistic water dripping off a screen. I don't see water dropping on my face when it's wet ;)

Well if we're talking about unrealistic, let's get rid of the distortion filter when you're underwater. Have you ever opened your eyes underwater? There's no distortion there! Maybe blurring... but no distortion.

It was just an example. All I'm saying is the art would need a bit of work before it really *felt* official.
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    my point was less large bodies of water to swim in but more drippy and slow moving water you would find in ruins.

I guess what I am getting at is when you think about it all the maps right now in ns2 have a lot of shine in them like the places are very new. It would be cool to see some old 100 year old abandoned base we are fighting in with water leaks ect adding to the environment.
    my point was less large bodies of water to swim in but more drippy and slow moving water you would find in ruins.

I guess what I am getting at is when you think about it all the maps right now in ns2 have a lot of shine in them like the places are very new. It would be cool to see some old 100 year old abandoned base we are fighting in with water leaks ect adding to the environment.

Oh I see. This could be done without the water mod, though. What the water mod does is add swimmable areas... not necessarily anything to do with any visuals... though it does add some visuals.
    Or just water high enough to immerse a skulk but not a marine (up to the knee). It wouldn't require swimming animation, but surely some visual.

At least something that can add more possibilities (artistically) and not something to observe behind a glass (or grate).