Free Badge to all special edition owners..

deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
Pretty self explanatory,a new free badge to all the community members who bought the special edition and backed the game before it was even a game.

Comments

• CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    How about a free badge for all new joiners who manage to battle the long learning curve against vet-players and reach their 1st 200hours of play?
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    How about a free badge for everyone that happens to be me? :D
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Pretty self explanatory,a new free badge to all the community members who bought the special edition and backed the game before it was even a game.

Black armour.
    And I do like the idea of a badge based on how many hours you have played :)
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    Yeah I do not think a badge for that is really needed because you already received the Black Armor. It's a tiny bit like people who bought the Deluxe Edition, except that the Black one is prettier.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    edited June 2014
    well i have 2000 hours in NS2 and no badge even though i bought the special edition :( since many consider team balance based on badges it would make sense to have 1.

i really like the idea of service badges which show how many hours you have invested, it would probably be a decent indicator of skill within the game, the more hours you have logged in the game the different badges you accumulate
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    About the time in hours that could be a good idea to assign maybe one badge, but I disagree to give badges for people who bought the game before its official release. Unfortunately, you have no badges, but when your map will be done, I'm pretty sure you could receive a sweet Squad 5 badge, the purpose as far as I know of Squad 5 is to reward community players who did a lot for NS2, but yeah, it's out of subject here.

Giving badges depending of your play time on NS2 isn't a such good idea, for people who played so much, why not? but at the contrary, it's just giving badges to everyone and I do not think a bunch of badges for everybody is needed & wanted.
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    well i have 2000 hours in NS2 and no badge even though i bought the special edition :( since many consider team balance based on badges it would make sense to have 1.

If you ordered the Special edition before it went on sale on steam you should have got black armour. That in its self is a good enough award as it will never be given out again.

As for hours log, the mores hours log should not be an indicator of how good a player is, if anything all it should indicate is a player who understands the game and should know how to play and read to game.
    edited June 2014
    i do have black armor but no black skulks :( so when on alien team there is no sign of my dedication to ns2

i do think hours played is a better indication than kill count, usually those with a high amount of hours know how to play and work as a team where as those with a high kill count arent always the most experienced or reliable in a team situation
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I agree about a badge for deluxe edition(not black armor) and a badge for rookies who stick around
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I still think a Beta player badge would be awsome! The free Deulxe upgrade and copy to give out were great, but I dont use the Deulxe skin, and the player I gave the free copy too no longer plays :(

This way, Beta players would get a badge, and special order players would get a badge+black armor.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    I have the feeling in near future I can be proud to not have a badge
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    edited June 2014
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    I agree about a badge for deluxe edition(not black armor) and a badge for rookies who stick around

So... badges for practically everybody except the early supporters? o_O

Y'all are just jelly of our pretty armour B-)

EDIT: having said that, I don't really want a badge. As somebody said, we already have our black armour. But that shouldn't exclude us from future rewards like badges as long as they're being given to other deluxe edition purchasers. It would be like giving a badge to the standard edition folks and using "but deluxe edition people have special armour" as a reason to exclude the deluxe edition folks from it. It doesn't really make sense. Of course y'all have special armour - you got the deluxe edition and the standard folks didn't. And of course we have special armour - we preordered early.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    My armour is so black... When you turn off the lights my aquamarine lights lights are still aquamarine...

/me runs off
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Decoy wrote: »
    So maybe something like a badge that updates.. Starts out with 50 hours, then 250, 500, 750, 1,000+ It could just be one badge that would change color.

Maybe like...
    50 hours - White
    250 - Blue
    500 - Bronze
    750 - Silver
    1,000 - Gold

I dunno. We'd have to talk it over with the CDT. I'm not opposed to the idea.

But please, please base it on the steam playtime. I don't want to play x amount of hours again like for the commander badge.
    Decoy seems to have the most logical idea, but it's kinda like Reinforced or NS2WC badges. But when you buy Deluxe Edition or even before the game release, nobody talked about badges & you know you won't get any badge when you buy the Deluxe Edition so that's pretty useless to give badges if they bought such version. Anyway, everybody can remove/disable badges in the Hive.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think those would honestly be useful so you can can get a rough idea of who has how much experience.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    Paid more on an investment before the game was released than some other badges... and yea, black armor doesn't carry over to aliens. Honestly, IDC much. But I have felt like the pre orders (even before a released alpha) people get little to no recognition for really starting the funding on a game as an investment to the new company. People get this game for pocket change. We shelled out... 40? 50? Just a lot more. Lol

Anyhow, more shiney stuff isn't terribly necessary.
    1000 is easily reachable btw. I think a bigger difference between each category could be better.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Pelargir wrote: »
    1000 is easily reachable btw. I think a bigger difference between each category could be better.

Once you get over 1000 hours, does it even matter anymore? I do agree though that ns2 players are really hardcore on the hours, and many have 1000+.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    It would be nice to have all badges options in the "custom character" section.

Enable/disable badges.
    All armor styles (not only Kodiak stuff).

...and so on.

One menu... everything.
    james888 wrote: »
    Once you get over 1000 hours, does it even matter anymore? I do agree though that ns2 players are really hardcore on the hours, and many have 1000+.

I think it is. For instance, someone with 1.000 hours doesn't play like someone with 2.000 hours. The difference between both is smaller compared to somebody with less than 500 hours or something, even if most of the time it really depends of the involved players. And there's a lot of people who currently have more than 2.000 hours in NS2.
    But I don't know, anyway, it's only an example.
  • TinkiTinki Join Date: 2013-12-03 Member: 189715Members
    A badge with IG hours is a great idea, this could prevent a lot of stack games a be a reward for new players

Maybe 200/500/1000/2000+ . Since the learning curve is not linear 250/500/750/1000 won't be representative and the 2000h+ badge could be more a "thks for playing this much" than "you are better than 1000h players"
    Thread title must change.
    Pelargir wrote: »
    james888 wrote: »

I think it is. For instance, someone with 1.000 hours doesn't play like someone with 2.000 hours. The difference between both is smaller compared to somebody with less than 500 hours or something, even if most of the time it really depends of the involved players. And there's a lot of people who currently have more than 2.000 hours in NS2.
    But I don't know, anyway, it's only an example.

How involved a player is, is a key term here. I only play pubs, so therefore my 1250 hours don't go as far towards improvement towards a comp player with another 1000 hours. I feel like I have only minorly improved since about 300 hours too. That only shows the weakness in showing experience in hours.
    perhaps the hours could be measured in both pub and comp play although it would probably mean everyones clock would begin at 0 for the badges at least on implementation
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Don't let NS2 head down the TF2 path :(
    All this hour stuff won't work. Plz stop. I have 2500 hrs BC I bought the alpha. I'm pretty good, but not as good as ns div1 or maybe div 2 player with half my hours.
    As I said, hours played is not a good indicator of skill level and should never be used as such,
    What it could b used for is a basic understanding of the game for everyone maybe it would help in a way to help even teams out so they have an even amout of hours played?
    Making games not as stacked as much as players would know who has plate the game and should know what to do etc.
    Plus it's a nice reward for dedicating slot of hours to playing ns2 :)
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow