Exosuit Jets.

ArmymongerArmymonger The spacebearing Country of America Join Date: 2014-04-04 Member: 195135Members
So one of my Really favorite ways to play as a marine is in a Exosuit, I mean...Who doesn't love the Twin vulcans? (Aside from you Aliens...:P)
But One of the strangest functions on the Exosuit is not its Fist...

Its the Jets!

I honestly Have NO use for these pint sized boosters on the Exosuit, At most I can use them to traverse the map at a slightly faster rate than WALKING...
But I prefer to walk because it allows me to respond faster to a sudden alien out of nowhere to spool up my twin barrels and rip them a new one, Precious seconds can mean a kill.
In addition, Why would you even use the Jets on an Exo to Go UP????
The amount of Power and time it takes to Get over a Short Arm rail is So terrible that I don't even WANT to try Jumping over. And there are Usually Guardrails or BOXES much higher so it either takes double the time to Jet over or POINTLESS all together.

I can only see people Using the Jets to Avoid a Skulk Biting your Knees.... but like I said, The amount of Power and the abysmal Height Is still in range of a Skulk, and TO ADD INSULT TO INJURY... the Exo instantly Drops once the jets burn out, So all that time Trying to buy some wiggle room was a waste anyway.

Is there Some kind of Ground pound like the Onos Do to Marines when the Exo Drops from a Full jet height that Stuns Aliens or Crushes them?

Comments

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Using the jets to avoid a skulk is futile. Using jets to get out of a little hole is useful, but rarely needed. Using the jets to move when you know there are no skulks near you can be good, and yes those times exist. Exos crush eggs, the ground pound thing you were asking about.
  • ArmymongerArmymonger The spacebearing Country of America Join Date: 2014-04-04 Member: 195135Members
    I knew about walking over Eggs with an Exo, But that function to me is Something extra, A good exo player knows not to enter in a hive alone, nor do they want to actually be in that far without a team and to be honest, Im pretty sure Im not going to be looking at my feet when in a hive, So crushing Eggs with my feet? Purely Accidental.

But that wasn't what I was questioning, Onos have that ability where they can Slam the Ground and It makes All Rines Around it Fall on the floor. Does Falling at full jet height in an Exo do the same thing?
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2014
    Yes.. it used to move in any direction and was high useful / possibly OP ... as it made Exos much more combat viable.
    But it was determined at that time that it felt like it was GG when Exos came out, so it It added so they were relegated to travel usage only and they lose 75% of their top speed while firing.

edit:
    Fun thread to catch up on:
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/134335/making-exos-viable-again
  • CuelCuel Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181295Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2014
    Jets can be used to gain some distance when your guns are about to overheat, and you need a small second to let them cool (it can even be the difference between killing an onos or dying). And make it easier to aim at the skulks around your feet

By yeah since the ridiculous nerf I barely play exos anymore, much higher survivability with jp/shotgun
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Bring back my unbeaconable tank killing machines :\
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    I use them quite often to jump over crates or railings. It is faster than walking around an obstacle. There are also a few very nice spots you can climb on as Exo and you are out of Onos range. But many people don't do anything with it in that regard because they are a) uncreative or b) scared to suicide them.

And yes, I still hate the Exos (fps eating weld me bastards) -> <3HA4EVER
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    jets get you on the command chair where skulks and oni have a harder time reaching you. :)
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    http://www.accessams.com/Handicap_van_specs/Sprinter_ALS_wheelchair_van.jpg

I want one of these to lift exos onto structures :)

Or use it to study dead onii.

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    RapGod wrote: »
    http://www.accessams.com/Handicap_van_specs/Sprinter_ALS_wheelchair_van.jpg

I want one of these to lift exos onto structures :)

Or use it to study dead onii.

Definitely a bit random, but.... trojan onos?
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited May 2014
    They are for the most part, just there to play with. It's rare that they would have more than slight use. Mostly lets you get around a bit faster.
  • ArmymongerArmymonger The spacebearing Country of America Join Date: 2014-04-04 Member: 195135Members
    So quite frankly, at one point in time Exos were literally able to Dance with Onoses thanks to their Exo jets? I honestly can't see this image in my head. That shows how New I am.

It kinda surprises me that one Nerf completely turned the exo into a Decent Onos counter into something like an Old man needing support. Great at a long distance but Without Backup, its a dead Exo.

The Modular Exo mod seems Really awesome though, I might try it.
    Armymonger wrote: »
    So quite frankly, at one point in time Exos were literally able to Dance with Onoses thanks to their Exo jets? I honestly can't see this image in my head. That shows how New I am.

It kinda surprises me that one Nerf completely turned the exo into a Decent Onos counter into something like an Old man needing support. Great at a long distance but Without Backup, its a dead Exo.

Exo's could never dance with oni as you mention. They just had enough firepower to even make an onos think again about poking his head out. A regular marine always had more maneuverability than an exo.

Modular exo is pretty great though. One can have a pretty fast exo, or an armored exo. It is up to them.
    That was a horrible time. The firepower + several MACs and rines welding it was enough to just stand in a door and kill a whole alien base and every Onos in range. But I think the Railgun-Exo that could run backwards faster than a skulk forward (in a time when skulks on a floor were still fast) was the most horrible thing in ns2's history :P
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2014
    There was a slew of issues at that time, sentinel.
    I wouldn't outright blame Exo mobility.

Their armor was too high
    the DPS was far too high for structures with dualies
    Multiple MACs could not only weld a singular Exo, but also themselves
    MACs absorbed damage / got in the way of attacks
    thrusters had very little cool down
    Onos were paper
    skulk movement wasn't great
    welding values may have been too high
    Bile bomb dmgs were too low
    GL spam did higher dmg to players, and higher splash radius, as teammates spammed exo feet

Basically, a kneejerk reaction occurred after this history and now we are on the other side of the issue. ;)
    Their armor was too high Was nerfed
    the DPS was far too high for structures with dualies Was nerfed
    Multiple MACs could not only weld a singular Exo, but also themselves Was nerfed
    MACs absorbed damage / got in the way of attacks
    thrusters had very little cool down Was nerfed
    Onos were paper Was raised
    skulk movement wasn't great Is better now
    welding values may have been too high Players or macs? I don't remember this change.
    Bile bomb dmgs were too low

I think exos are a perfect example of how hard a complex game like ns2 is to balance. There are so many moving parts, you change 5 of them, and 2 more get broken.
    Hmmm...

As they are now, They don't really fulfill the role as a Onos counter as being two huge type units go head to head and being equal in combat.
    Onos can "Seemingly" to me, be able to operate solo against a couple of marines,If an Onos Runs into two or 3 it can stomp all of them and still have enough health to be combat effective.

While if you put the Exo in the same situation, The exo might be able to Knock out those three aliens, But not without taking Severe Damage
    forcing the Exo to back off and Repair, or find a competent Squad member to repair him.
    They just Suck Solo, Which forces them to be More of an Artillery Infantry supporter Rather than Armor to Scare off aliens.

In my eyes,
    When you See an Onos, And you are Alone, You don't Shoot, You RUN, You can't Kill it alone, You will ALWAYS be Stomped.
    Doesn't work with an Exo, Skulks don't Run from an Exo, They Freaking Charge it.

Why?
    Try to jump over the stomp "wave" or use a jetpack.

If an Onos encounters three good rines and doesn't have stomp (what is more likely than the other way round), it might die as well very fast. And it definitely has to retreat and heal.

And skulks charge because they cost nothing. A lone Exo can't heal, so every damage you deal before you die will aid the next alien wave that attacks the Exo. Normaly it is enough to parasite the Exo, that will lure enough aliens to him to defeat it. It was the same in NS1. A lone HA had a big problem, he couldn't repair himself and there were no lmg-grunts between him and an Onos. -> teamplay. Without devour and being weaker as the ns2 Onos, he also needs teammates to stay alive (or aura and a bucket of luck). I don't see a problem here.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited May 2014
    @Armymonger‌ are you kidding about the 3 marines thing? 3 is the limit for my lone onos engagment, and then even if I know nobody else is gonna trap or overwhelm me.

I will never fully engage more than 3 marines by myself as onos, its just suicide (unless they have no weapon ups)
    james888 wrote: »

Exo's could never dance with oni as you mention. They just had enough firepower to even make an onos think again about poking his head out. A regular marine always had more maneuverability than an exo.

Modular exo is pretty great though. One can have a pretty fast exo, or an armored exo. It is up to them.

An exo with even lower armor than it already has would not be very useful for the speed it would get.
    coolitic wrote: »
    james888 wrote: »

An exo with even lower armor than it already has would not be very useful for the speed it would get.

Yes... Not what I was getting at though
  • KungFuJVKungFuJV Join Date: 2003-04-03 Member: 15167Members
    Jetpack marines never run from a lone onos. Unless the marine is wounded/no armor
    Safe-playing jp rines with shottys cannot be 1v1'd
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    A prime different between Onos and Exo is mobility again. With Celerity, you can get moving pretty fast as an Onos, charging in and out of fights with reasonably ease. You can be sure to outrun whoever is following you with good route choice (barring cat packs and jetpacks) and live to heal up quickly at the hive or with your friendly neighborhood gorgy.

With an Exo, you absolutely have to engage and kill the target in order to be sure of getting away. You're just too slow to outrun them. Even gorges can at least keep up with an exo. So while an Onos charges in, gores some stuff and then retreats, an Exo simply has to stand his ground and fight to the death most often.

I'm not complaining about the play style difference, I think that's what Exos are meant to be, and meant to do. I am complaining about their ability to do so effectively.

So yeah, I don't think anyone here is disagreeing that Exos need a buff, I just wanted to point out that comparing Exos to Onos in engagements is fundamentally different.
    My bad everyone, Forgot to mention J packs, No marine runs from an Onos with a J pack. Derp for me.

Calego all of a sudden it now becomes "How do we buff the Exo to be more effective, without changing anything Directly tied to mobility, Firepower or Armor..." That's the running question on exo changes ain't it?

And I just realized that we Derailed the thread from Conversing on the Befuddled Exo jets to exos entirely.
    Is that bad?
    edited May 2014
    Calego wrote: »
    A prime different between Onos and Exo is mobility again. With Celerity, you can get moving pretty fast as an Onos, charging in and out of fights with reasonably ease. You can be sure to outrun whoever is following you with good route choice (barring cat packs and jetpacks) and live to heal up quickly at the hive or with your friendly neighborhood gorgy.

With an Exo, you absolutely have to engage and kill the target in order to be sure of getting away. You're just too slow to outrun them. Even gorges can at least keep up with an exo. So while an Onos charges in, gores some stuff and then retreats, an Exo simply has to stand his ground and fight to the death most often.

I'm not complaining about the play style difference, I think that's what Exos are meant to be, and meant to do. I am complaining about their ability to do so effectively.

So yeah, I don't think anyone here is disagreeing that Exos need a buff, I just wanted to point out that comparing Exos to Onos in engagements is fundamentally different.

And that role for the exo you just described was damaged when they became harder to weld effectively.

Reduce their speed a little, add a bit more health, and allow marines to weld exos faster. If you think they become op, maybe increase res cost.
  • RejZoRRejZoR Slovenia Join Date: 2013-09-24 Member: 188450Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Every equal class from opponent side should be able to deal with the threat. Meaning lone exo with lvl 3 wpns and lvl 3 armor should be able to take on onos by itself. It just means you need different approach. Onos needs to ambush exo to negate distance and exo must keep the distance. Currently, from what i've seen exo often can't even take on skulks, let alone vortexing fades or onos. With onos, you just charge even at some distance, because you will take down rail exo with ease and dual won't cause you that much damage.

I only found exo useful to stand in a very tight corridor or to defend ARC's from the side, which are VERY rare scenarios. For everything else its easier and cheaper to just buy JP and shotty or GL and you can basically take a hive down alone.
    edited May 2014
    Do you mean every 40res Exo should take on an Onos alone or only Dual-Minigun Exos?

If you buff Exos again, the Onos should get Charge back as standard ability. Its made of Paper already... Exos and Onos die a lot, make both stronger or let them how they are. Oh boy, changing Exos will cause at least 10 builds to balance everything else around it. I don't want to go back to that approach.

I think I would use Exos more often if I could actually hit sth in close combat. But the attacks eat away my fps like candy and hitting gets reduced to pure luck and learned spray patterns. How do you guys with fast PCs experience the close combat? To get back to the OP: I use the jets from time to time in close combat. It doesn't really give me an advantage, but rines can shoot the skulks at my feet better that way. At least I am willing to think that.
  • RejZoRRejZoR Slovenia Join Date: 2013-09-24 Member: 188450Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Only dual exo at lvl 3 upgrades.
    RejZoR wrote: »
    Every equal class from opponent side should be able to deal with the threat. Meaning lone exo with lvl 3 wpns and lvl 3 armor should be able to take on onos by itself. It just means you need different approach. Onos needs to ambush exo to negate distance and exo must keep the distance. Currently, from what i've seen exo often can't even take on skulks, let alone vortexing fades or onos. With onos, you just charge even at some distance, because you will take down rail exo with ease and dual won't cause you that much damage.

I only found exo useful to stand in a very tight corridor or to defend ARC's from the side, which are VERY rare scenarios. For everything else its easier and cheaper to just buy JP and shotty or GL and you can basically take a hive down alone.

Unless you are an onos running directly to the exo down a long hallway (bad idea), onos always beat exo in 1v1.