factions minigames

SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
edited May 2014 in Ideas and Suggestions
hey all,

im looking for more ideas for minigames in the lobby map for the ns2 mod factions. so far there is shooting range:

and dog fights:

i thought having a beat ehm up arcade machine somehwere and maybe dart in the bar

edit: plus points for game ideas which teach you aspects of the main game

Comments

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I am assuming they have to be marine related, meaning no minigames playing as the alien?

Spot the cloaked skulk. Somehow made more complex that just hide n seek.
    Parkor mini game map.
    Some kind of jump game to dodge things.

I am sure I will have more later.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited May 2014
    james888 wrote: »
    Some kind of jump game to dodge things.

I picture maybe an enclosed room w/ like wall pannels coming at you w/ different and varying (crouch & standing) holes cut out that you need to jump thru, or be pushed back by the wall into some pit or somethin that would end game. Speed increases as you progress, then 2 panels start coming w/ hole on one side on first panel, then hole on other side for next panel for strafe jumping. Maybe random objects could also come thru to force more quick movements for the player. Dunno, just some thoughts.

Anyways, I like your cloak hunt idea too!

EDIT:
    I've also always thought it was kind of a shame that there aren't really any map types in ns2 that you could play solo w/ some enjoyment that wouldn't really require much mod if at all. Maps that make use of engine and phyics... the examples that come to mind for me are concmaps in TFC which I played the hell out of back in the day, and surf maps in Counter-Strike.

So not sure if it's even in the realm of "mini-game," but I've never really been able to think of any ideas that sound super fun, but could help you w/ nuances of the game physics/player movement mechanics as far as ns2 goes. A couple ideas.. a skulk wall hop map with pillars over a void that start off close and get further as you progress so that you have to maintain a good line and speed with maybe obstacles and such in between so that the player may feel like he's progressed (like in concmaps you could always say "I've been stuck on 9th jump for 10 min!). So maybe, "ah I can make it as far as that falls hop" or somethin.

I've also thought about some kind of jp fuel management map where platforms over an abyss are technically reachable w/ jp but you gotta fly just right to be able to make it to next plat to refuel. Or fade blink w/ the same sort of idea.

I dunno, I'm riffin here.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Use @lifesfun 's lerk lift code and lets get some gorge wrangling and riding. Bonus points for lasso and saddle.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Mechanical Onos riding! The Onos runs around room randomly, and you have to move to stay on top of it for as long as you can.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2014
    How about Hungry Hungry Babbler? Players are trapped in an arena, trying to dodge an invincible (Skulk sized) alien that leaps around, and players are equipped with Jetpacks that refuel slowly.

For added fun, players can shoot (with a sniper rifle) the alien to make it angrier and move faster (not so fun for the player being chased :P ).
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Gorge Belly slide parcour!

Im never leaving the ready room again.. uhm I mean.. I shall help seed empty servers, sure!
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    You added aircraft to NS2? Nice.

Then again, I now realize it would be the same things as a lerk with dual miniguns, but it's still nice.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    LoL, you do realise this is for the Factions Mod? This is a game which features two teams of Human players, not aliens. It might help if the suggestions didn't include aliens...
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    LoL, you do realise this is for the Factions Mod? This is a game which features two teams of Human players, not aliens. It might help if the suggestions didn't include aliens...
    That is what I was wondering because I can think of much more alien mini games than marine mini games.