Welding Doors and Vents

ArmymongerArmymonger The spacebearing Country of America Join Date: 2014-04-04 Member: 195135Members
Im a new player (3 hr playtime), and a very new forumer.
So im not sure if this has been suggested/ out ruled or something. It might be nice to see a Sticky thread with a list of all out ruled ideas.

But my idea is to put our welders to work on automatic doors and vents as an effective barricade, especially for Vents,

Welding Doors was something I saw in aliens and I guess it worked to keep away xenos...
And welding vents was something in the original NS right?

So i'm suggesting for a single marine to Weld up a door and vent and have aliens break through it in the same manner as Armor. Just like how Gorge Blobs get destroyed by fire, Doors and vents can get destroyed with constant damage. This method would only be good for early to mid game though as An onos can simply go through these doors like cheese, and Fades can simply Fade through doors.

Its basically Like a Gorge blob limited to only Doorways and Vents, These doors can't be Unwelded by Marines and if Welded carelessly could really restrict Marine movement and retreat.

Comments

• aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Welding doors was removed in the beta because it wasn't fun and created issues. Vent welding was never added, but the extra entities mod added the entities themselves. Mappers just need to put weldables in their maps IIRC.
  • ArmymongerArmymonger The spacebearing Country of America Join Date: 2014-04-04 Member: 195135Members
    That was fast, I suddenly went to the New persons thread here and saw a discussion about it.
    Came back and you already posted. Kudos man.
    Could this idea still work though?
  • freebirdpatfreebirdpat Join Date: 2004-04-10 Member: 27826Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    One of the issues weldable doors/vents presented in NS1 is that it allowed and promoted turtling and there was no going back once something was welded open or shut. That vent/door you welded open would either allow aliens easier access to the map or it meant that they could only come into the room via 2 doors(tanith anyone?) instead of say 5 entry/exit points, with any marine watching those exit points it made it hard for aliens to do an assault and run away which is the entire basis of the alien team. IIRC when they were talking about making this game they mentioned that they were on track to have weldable to be able to go back and forth(open and closed) or maybe even being able to be damaged to open a blocked passage back up, I think someone even mentioned gorge "weldable" but bio-balls or whatever they are called might have fixed that.

IMO I think weldables would not really add any gameplay advantage and mappers would have to redesign maps. Take veil from ns1, pretty much every vent was weldable in the early iterations of the map but as time went on they had to remove them as they made gameplay pretty unbalanced. In the one room from tanith welding all the vents made it so that aliens had two exit points, and it was the last hive location so aliens basically had to wait out marines to tech up and have them move out and then try to rush them.

So the real position we want to do is to have something that somehow blocks/slows/dehabiliates alien movement in an area. Maybe either a mine that stuns/slows aliens in an area or maybe a sentry turret that instead of firing bullets fires stunning/slowing shots? Not sure if I like this idea much either, I feel that marines can be pretty strong as is, as far as pub play is concerned. Seen one marine carry a team to victory just by being able to annihilate lifeforms.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2014
    Breakable doors (that are initially locked) would be interesting (like destructible rocks in SC2).

Aliens could bite/claw/gore them down, and Marines could use welders as cutters to unlock them, opening up shortcuts, for both your team as well as for the enemies, or making new rooms accessible...
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    I have to reiterate that this was explored in beta, it just slowed the game pace down and didn't really work as you think it would. Turtles were a big problem, especially when there wasn't a turret limit... oh the joy.. heehee.

Perhaps something the combat guys might like to look at?
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Breakable doors (that are initially locked) would be interesting (like destructible rocks in SC2).

Aliens could bite/claw/gore them down, and Marines could use welders as cutters to unlock them, opening up shortcuts, for both your team as well as for the enemies, or making new rooms accessible...

There would need to be a balance to make it high enough hp to make it useful, but not too high that it becomes incredibly boring.

Should require some teammates to break it down in a timely matter.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I can imagine in now. The map is tram. I am in repair. Aliens are grinding our gate in hub. I attempt to go through the door but some green welded it. Instead of being able to flank the grind gate I am stuck in repair being slowed down as I try to get out another way or by unwelding the door.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    james888 wrote: »
    I can imagine in now. The map is tram. I am in repair. Aliens are grinding our gate in hub. I attempt to go through the door but some green welded it. Instead of being able to flank the grind gate I am stuck in repair being slowed down as I try to get out another way or by unwelding the door.

Commander must first allow it to be welded?
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    coolitic wrote: »
    james888 wrote: »

Commander must first allow it to be welded?

Very highly situational. I can't even think of a good situation where it would help me. Maybe turtling.
  • ArmymongerArmymonger The spacebearing Country of America Join Date: 2014-04-04 Member: 195135Members
    How bout only allowing the Flamethrower to Unweld the door? Or...Melt it down?