locating bad geometry faces?

deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
Simple question really. i have a faulty face in some new geometry i have created that is making half the new geometry not show up when running the map. how do i locate the faulty face. before i could quickly tell which it was but this time im not sure.

Is there a tool or something?

Comments

• SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I would bet money you have invalid triangles.
    Restart the editor and resave.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    how do i know which are invalid?
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2014
    You don't need to, just restart the editor and resave. You'll see in console when loading a map if there are invalid triangles
    edited May 2014
    what test am i looking for in the console exactly...

restarting the editor doesnt rectify the issue
  • OlmyOlmy Join Date: 2003-05-08 Member: 16142Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, NS2 Developer, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    You'll see an invalid triangles message in the console during loading. Restarting the editor, clicking something in the map, then 'save as', should do the trick.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2014
    Here's what confuses me:
    I have a faulty face in some new geometry i have created that is making half the new geometry not show up when running the map.

Making it not show up? Does it look like a random explosion of polygons, or are they simply not there?
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    I found several corrupted faces in Honorguard after the last build got released. Had to redo them. It is like some faces are OK in older builds and in a few builds later, they are missing some parts. You would think that you do a map once and the level file stays the same all the time...
    edited May 2014
    yea its working now, why does saving and reloading fix the issue?

its a very complex geometrical shape consisting of lots of curves, but its working great now. i have been rushing a little and made a few mistakes but all sorted now
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    yea its working now, why does saving and reloading fix the issue?

its a very complex geometrical shape consisting of lots of curves, but its working great now. i have been rushing a little and made a few mistakes but all sorted now

Can't say for sure... it's just a bug. My guess is that the editor gets a lot of garbage built up while you're working and that gets saved in the file, but is ignored when the editor re-loads the file.