What Was Your Favorite Major Update?

2»

Comments

• SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2014
    coolitic wrote: »
    nezz wrote: »
    nothing stands out when i think about builds. can't even remember what build gorgeous was.

I am almost certain it was 249.

249 was luaJIT
    250-251 were the balance patches
    252 was Reinforced
    252-257 was recovering NS2 to a playable state
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    HeatSurge wrote: »
    Gorgeous was probably the worst, added new boring, non-competitive ideas and reduced performance.

Agree. I don't have a favorite update, but if there was a least favorite update, gorgeous would be it by a long, long shot.

Gorge tunnels weren't necessary for the game, still aren't, Descent is quite bleh IMO, and that build just demolished performance and introduced game-breaking bugs like 10-15 seconds of HDD grinding when entering tunnels and certain situations to the point where I had to stop playing until they patched the models to reduce memory usage.

If I had to pick a favorite, I would've said somewhere before 249. I really think things were running great at some point, before gorgeous.
    While I generally agree, gorgeous was a game-retarding patch, descent is actually by far one of the better maps in my opinion.
    When it first came out, I was kind of disappointed with the general aesthetic (feels stifled and samey, even if the areas themselves do have some variation to their theme).
    But then summit is hardly a looker (something clicked the other day and I realised the comp lab textures all look horribly dated), and I feel the gameplay is easily on par with summit. Yes, I said it!

And tunnels, sure, they're not necessary, but they are fun, and they do work.

However I really do wish they would put the requirements back up to bio2 to stop these retard gorges burning all their res on a structure that's often essentially useless in the very early stages of the game (no res for hydras and in pubs you can't rely on skulks keeping you safe all the time)
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    nothing stands out when i think about builds. can't even remember what build gorgeous was.

249 was luaJIT
    252 was Reinforced

Which one was gorgeous then?
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    SamusDroid wrote: »

249 was luaJIT
    252 was Reinforced

Which one was gorgeous then?

Something 230ish, I think. Before my time. Shortly.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    This obviously has to be breakdancing marines content patch, with the added feature of causing100% choke while breakdancing on Build 202 :D

UWE removed a feature like that?

Why UWE, WHY? I want to breakdance, I have my RIGHTS! =D
    dat spoiler from back when I recorded a lot of shizzle :D

This needs to be an animated taunt
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    This obviously has to be breakdancing marines content patch, with the added feature of causing100% choke while breakdancing on Build 202 :D

UWE removed a feature like that?

Why UWE, WHY? I want to breakdance, I have my RIGHTS! =D
    dat spoiler from back when I recorded a lot of shizzle :D

This needs to be an animated taunt

Definately, dammit that video got me watching my own videos... Selfprocrastenation sounds wrong :-\"
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited May 2014
    What build was NS2 on shortly after official release on steam?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    What build was NS2 on shortly after official release on steam?
    Build 227
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Back when I had a biscuit tin for a PC, luaJit was a godsend to me. I could play with more than 30 fps now, yay...until 250 came along.