Shade Hive start tactic

Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
I know this is done a bit to death, but just had to share this tactic with you guys to deny marine natural.
Map was Summit, marine start Sub, Alien start Atrium. Shade first.

Me and another skulk pushed to Observation, and we both went Phantom. He was above door way leading out of marine base, I bit the RT in Obs. He was spotting for me so I know when marines where coming (I had minimap open when biting). I then stop when i see marine coming, and go to parasite the marine, then back off. While marine was busy looking for me or trying to aim at my direction, he could drop down and kill the marine. We baited a couple of marines like that and got the RT.

Comments

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    I'll bet he means Comp Lab or Vent
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos

Basic rabbit (distraction) and wolf close combat tactics. Nothing new for comp players I'm afraid.

Sorry.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    So true about this tactic on comp. (I wouldn't expect less). It was just so fun on a pub game when the comm won't spend the res to scan.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Try camping the ceiling of the little joint room between power sub and t-junction in eclipse. With phantom you can rack up the kills all through the game and completely deny pushes there, as long as your team can kinda hold south loop (which again is another super easy place to defend with phantom)
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    So true about this tactic on comp. (I wouldn't expect less). It was just so fun on a pub game when the comm won't spend the res to scan.

He shouldn't need to scan anyway. Marines should be travelling in pairs, especially on pubs, especially at the start of the game.
    Checking corners should be the first thing the tutorials tell you, closely followed by 'THIS IS WHAT A CLOAKED SKULK LOOKS LIKE.'

I know it's different on different people's machines (apparently... I've used several setups and it's always the same for me), but seeing cloaked skulks is really pretty easy, especially once you know what you're looking for - ie you know they have gone shade hive. The shimmer is quite obvious.
    Not to mention the marine should be able to snipe you off the RT with a pistol if they don't want to push in.

Sigh, pubs :(
  • AnzestralAnzestral Join Date: 2013-05-21 Member: 185327Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    I don't get why exactly you need shade for that?
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Roobubba wrote: »

He shouldn't need to scan anyway. Marines should be travelling in pairs, especially on pubs, especially at the start of the game.
    Checking corners should be the first thing the tutorials tell you, closely followed by 'THIS IS WHAT A CLOAKED SKULK LOOKS LIKE.'

I know it's different on different people's machines (apparently... I've used several setups and it's always the same for me), but seeing cloaked skulks is really pretty easy, especially once you know what you're looking for - ie you know they have gone shade hive. The shimmer is quite obvious.
    Not to mention the marine should be able to snipe you off the RT with a pistol if they don't want to push in.

Were all those setups nvidia? I've noticed nvidia defaults with higher gamma than amd.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter

Moving cloaked alien - yes, easy to see.
    Not moving - very hard. We once did some testing, two aliens hide in sub sector and two marines must find them. Marines know there are cloaked skulks. Man, We couldn't find each other for ages. At one point, marines thought we a trolling them and are in other room actually. When I was marine, I had difficulties finding them as well. And we knew they are there. In combat situation, aliens can switch position or just leave while you are looking the other way.
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    Not moving my view helps me see cloaked skulks easier. Just stand still for a second and you will see only the shimmer moving.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Both NVidia and Radeon cards, though only with intel processors (i7 860 and i5 4670K, both overclocked). I tend to run with low graphics settings (have played with Radeon 5870 and GTX780oc) as the performance is abysmal if you're in close quarters combat (which is the death of my lerks when FPS tanks from 120 down to 80 mid fight.. not good on a lightboost monitor).

I've never had trouble spotting still or moving cloaked skulks. I run at reasonably high gamma tho, wonder if people with full atmospherics, bloom, AO, AF and normal gamma are the ones having the issues?
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Both NVidia and Radeon cards, though only with intel processors (i7 860 and i5 4670K, both overclocked). I tend to run with low graphics settings (have played with Radeon 5870 and GTX780oc) as the performance is abysmal if you're in close quarters combat (which is the death of my lerks when FPS tanks from 120 down to 80 mid fight.. not good on a lightboost monitor).

I've never had trouble spotting still or moving cloaked skulks. I run at reasonably high gamma tho, wonder if people with full atmospherics, bloom, AO, AF and normal gamma are the ones having the issues?
    Normal gamma here and it I can see still skulks but it is difficult.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    The value of the hiding team mate wasn't so much ambush, but intel. I could tell how many marines were heading my way, and react accordingly. If there is one, I can keep biting as I know my team mate can take him/her down. If there are multiple, he doesn't engage, and I can bite til the last second before running away as I can see them on the minimap.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited May 2014
    Anzestral wrote: »
    I don't get why exactly you need shade for that?

He didn't say need. I agree that you don't need it.

Sure, if he was a really great skulk he could do this tactic without Shade. He may have implied that you need Shade with the naming of the tactic but this kind of thing definitely works for public players and newbs better on the Shade Hive.

Shade helps lower level players ambush more easily when commanders don't scan and buy armor early.

Not a very helpful or productive comment honestly Anze - you could at least explain how they could do it better without Shade instead of being the "arrogant comptitive player" :P
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members

... says the man with a functional graphics card. Crevice is a fucking nightmare for me, even after the upgrade on my hardware. shade is just not fair with that much eyestrain.
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2014

You have a point Roo but any skulk worth a damn is not going to be sitting on an open wall waiting to pounce, a clever one is one that utilizes the environment to his advantage in positions that are not very likely. Even if marines move around in pairs, one marine is still likely to die which is a decent trade and if marines are checking every corner, that's time not spent elsewhere. Also, the time you spend trying to find a skulk cloaked can be the difference between keeping an RT and losing one.

In addition, unless there's some magic mod or graphical setting, finding stationary skulks while not especially difficult when you are actively looking can be easy to overlook especially when quickly scanning corners and walls. Trying to find a skulk in ventilation or crevice on summit lol, good luck.

Not every room entrance allows a marine to snipe off a skulk and again, a good skulk is not sitting still when biting res.
  • craZyfxcraZyfx Austria Join Date: 2014-01-20 Member: 193350Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    In situations where you know, that a skulk is hiding somewhere (either it's start of the game or you got parasited), i think it's better to go in with an "obvious" marine and a "sneaky" marine waiting a bit behind (but within line of sight). So if the first marine is jumped on, the second can save him. But I guess like everything in this thread, this is not an new strategy either :D
  • nezznezz Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174712Members
    was this really worth a thread? Basically you killed a marine using invis & a distraction. Game breaking.
    5 marines and we won the game due to the distraction we caused :-)
  • DaveodethDaveodeth Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172717Members
    It's fun but the margin of error is miniscule compared to shift and crag.
  • Brad2810Brad2810 Join Date: 2013-03-24 Member: 184313Members
    Desther wrote: »
    Not moving my view helps me see cloaked skulks easier. Just stand still for a second and you will see only the shimmer moving.

hillarious when there are rookies on the aliens and you do this *sees shimmer on roof* *shoots* "that guy is a hacker! how he see me!?"

i actually fear shade hive starts when i'm playing on marines. because of the silence! you never hear them coming, and in some rooms like gravity on descent it's nigh impossible to find the cloaked skulk without a scan.

not to mention the hallucinations mid game those things...you turn to shoot one and then the real one gets you :/.

The only one that isn't convinceing are the lerk ones. lerks just glide in slo-mo, hillarious.

@Brad2810 not to mention if they shade first it usually means the team is experienced, so you have a fight on your hands.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    The thing is with shade, it's very easy (and FUN!!!) to get caught up in killing countless marines with your silence/invisibility but that's exactly what causes a lot of shade-first teams to lose; they over-focus on marines and forget to hit res.

Silence is the ultimate advantage to biting res because they can't hear you bounding down a corridor nearby; you can get to any rt at pretty much full speed and they won't realise until you're on it. You can also hear them coming a mile off without having to stop chewing ;)
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    edited May 2014
    Hallucination... is really good now.. 2 skulk rush looks like 4. Easy early beacon or at least panic. Only real issue is it's best to save enough res to drop all the veils.. or at least 2.