Speculation thread for the new build

tallhotblondetallhotblonde Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174770Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
So it seems like its to do with models/customization.

Im going for server side control over player models/weapons.
Community made skins, installed on the server, downloaded and implemented on client connect.

I highly doubt that UWE would make ns2 FTP and sell skins on steam like some are suggesting. but who knows XD

Comments

• d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    edited April 2014
    I'm hoping that they roll out the improved skill-rating system.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    d0ped0g wrote: »
    I'm hoping that they roll out the improved skill-rating system.

Ask me about this after the build, when I can say.
  • SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members
    edited April 2014
    From what's been written, I'm guessing the biggest addition is pay4skins as an income supplement for UWE. There'll probably be a few tweaks in terms of balance, maybe a few optimizations. My main hope is the return of mineshaft! (without the loss of a different map in place of it), as well as the ability to see player names again from the server browsers. I'm not expecting much impact from the match-making system, because I don't hear anyone even talking about the once much talked about "Organized Play" feature now. And in typical UWE fashion, all will be revealed on Friday and/or 1st May! :D
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Having read the code in SamusDroids mod, I can tell you that the game is being set up to have changeable Rifle, Exo and Marine skins. These variants have been set up as DLC components in the code, like the badges and the current marine model variants.

They may not be going free to play, but there is definitely pay for skins. What could this mean?

1 - UWE will be selling custom model skins

2 - Community members will be able to create content to be sold via submission to UWE

3 - UWE might be selling slots so you can download custom skins of your choice and choose them from the menu.

Or any other number of options. DLC related customisable skins are coming.
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    I was gonna say "lol another speculation thread"

but... that marine LMG/SMG would be awesome.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited April 2014
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    Having read the code in SamusDroids mod, I can tell you that the game is being set up to have changeable Rifle, Exo and Marine skins. These variants have been set up as DLC components in the code, like the badges and the current marine model variants.

They may not be going free to play, but there is definitely pay for skins. What could this mean?

1 - UWE will be selling custom model skins

2 - Community members will be able to create content to be sold via submission to UWE

3 - UWE might be selling slots so you can download custom skins of your choice and choose them from the menu.

Or any other number of options. DLC related customisable skins are coming.

Oh well, great.

But hey, maybe we get that custom LMG. (as skin.)

edit: Or maybe it's just an elaborate way of visualising the weapon tier in the future.
    W0: Normal skin.
    W1: Gold skin.
    W2: Messerschmitt-style shark sking. (still gold)
    W3: RAINBOW!
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    10 dollah for hello kitty armour!
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I had hopes for the mac port, but if the code says otherwise who am I to argue with the code?
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Calego wrote: »
    I had hopes for the mac port, but if the code says otherwise who am I to argue with the code?

Mac port would be impossible for many many reasons currently. The largest of which is how poor OSXs OpenGL implementation and graphics drivers are.

I am expecting, like everyone, the skinning/ modelling DLC stuff. I can only hope the LMG has made it in. I would happily pay for that glorious weapon in game.

Beyond that I seriously have no idea whatsoever.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited April 2014

A Mac port will never happen. Not like you could even play the game on a Mac

There is no code...
  • derfyderfy Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164630Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't see the problem with cosmetic skin, as long as they're not too gaudy.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    An expanded reinforcement tier, with different ways of implementing skins so as to avoid the terrible performance issues that came hand-in-hand w/ reinforcement?
  • Maxx11_v2.0Maxx11_v2.0 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172221Members
    edited April 2014
    Oh good, another one of these "speculation" threads. Seeing how the last one turned out this can't possibly be a bad idea...I mean, what could possibly go wrong?
    edited April 2014
    Oh good, another one of these "speculation" threads. Seeing how the last one turned out this can't possibly be a bad idea...I mean, what could possibly go wrong?

Well nothing could go wrong. We have been given a release date, and some hints about what is coming. This is different to the Whiteboard Incident of March 2014, and the BigAnnouncement of October 2013 (?date).
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I hope they put an option in the game to turn off all custom skins then.. I like my game the way it is :)
    (yes I'm boring)
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    RockyMarc wrote: »
    I hope they put an option in the game to turn off all custom skins then.. I like my game the way it is :)
    (yes I'm boring)

Wouldn't this be a good idea anyway? Part of the reason that UWE don't like churning out skins is the performance aspect, having an option to turn them off would be decent if that is how it works.

• ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
  • skulkgatoskulkgato Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183645Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Word on the street is...
    corner-gun-431x300.jpg
    They finally fixed to lmg model to facilitate shooting around corners.
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    RockyMarc wrote: »
    (yes I'm boring)
    cl_minmodels 1
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    skulkgato wrote: »
    Word on the street is...
    corner-gun-431x300.jpg

Only if they also add "Wanted"-style curved shots.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Word on the street is...
    corner-gun-431x300.jpg
    Shooting around corner is happening already
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    _INTER_ wrote: »
    Word on the street is...
    corner-gun-431x300.jpg
    Shooting around corner is happening already
    But now it's a Feature! Yay!
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    The only thing I'll confirm is that mineshaft is absolutely working. I've double, triple, quadruple, etc. checked every map for nav mesh issues and at this point that my dreams have blue wireframe meshes over everything. If I manage to let a patch go out with a broken map like that again I'll... I don't even want to think about it. Just know that we've been running double PT sessions every day for several weeks now.

There's (a lot) more than that, but you'll find out about that stuff very shortly.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Narfwak wrote: »
    The only thing I'll confirm is that mineshaft is absolutely working.

Braver words have never been spoken, one simply does not say bug free. One should say, it's a feature that's working as intended :>
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Narfwak wrote: »
    The only thing I'll confirm is that mineshaft is absolutely working.

Braver words have never been spoken, one simply does not say bug free.

Oh, I know.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    There's been a lot of silence around hera... I would shit my pants if that or anything like it is included..