Fade Vortex teleport

twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
edited April 2014 in Ideas and Suggestions
Fade Vortex in its current state is difficult to use because of its complex key combinations, and lacks power in the hands of the majority of the player.

I propose a simple change that improves the usefulness of Vortex:

Vortex teleports the Fade to the anchor point when Blink is sustained for longer than 1 second (or 88 miles per hour is reached).

This change would make Vortex a more powerful offensive ability, as it would give the Fade the power to choose when to activate Vortex teleport. However, Vortex will be a lot less useful as a panic button.

Do you think this would be a good change?

Comments

• twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2014
    A few other ideas I for tweaking Vortex are:
    • Invisible Vortex portal, to allow the Fade to set up ambushes of unsuspecting marines. Scan should reveal these portals.
    • Vortex provides sight of enemies in its surrounding area.
    • Vortex anchor is not destroyed upon use, to allow multiple uses of the same anchor, and to simplify the key strokes required.
  • GoldenGolden Join Date: 2004-09-01 Member: 31169Members, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    Every single implementation of Vortex as a teleportation tool has either been too strong or too weak. The live version is too weak - it's a fairly high energy cost, only allows for one hit. Your version is too strong - unpredictable teleport, impossible to trap the lifeform once vortex is up. You just drop the vortex at the hive and go about your day, then "oh shit" blink for a second and you're safe.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    *Crotchety old coot voice* back in my day vortex was used to disable marine structures and that was how we liked it!
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    *Crotchety old coot voice* back in my day vortex was used to disable marine structures and that was how we liked it!

That was insanely OP. =P Golden summed it up pretty well.

• twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2014
    (@Golden) How about my version of Vortex as a 3-Hive ability (swapped with Stab)? Would it be more balanced?

The current version of Vortex doesn't cost too much energy though, since it is refunded when the recall occurs. The main problem with it IMO, is it is lacking in power and usefulness for the amount of effort it requires to pull off.

Whereas one second of Blink costs a lot more energy, and puts the Fade at significant higher risk of dying compared to the current instant teleport. However, my version of Votex would allow the Fade to stay in combat for longer, with increased capacity to deal more damage, which is lacking with the current live version.