Downloading Mods

OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
I am a new player to NS2.

First server I joined, I saw 'Downloading Mods'

I played a while, I thought "that was kinda fun, I would like to see the real game"

So the 2nd time I played I joined a different server (sadly, as I had formed bonds with those on the first server I played) ... I saw "Downloading Mods"

The 2nd server was different, I had different Alien Vision and the Marines could get exos without an upgraded armoury.

I searched for a vanilla server, for my third game.

No one was playing one.

I stopped playing NS2, as obviously the game isn't fit for cohesive online game play.

Well, I lie, *I* personally kept playing, but until UWE or 'the community' decide on what NS2 actually is, the game will forever be fragmented and de-cohesive.

MODs suck, period. What happened to Vanilla?

Comments

• Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2014
    Mods include shine administration mod, which gives admins tools to manage the server. Custom maps are also downloaded as mods. A lot of mods are not gamechanging, but you have to check the servers.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited April 2014
    You know that there are different kind of mods?

Some are pretty helpfull like admin mods (like Shine and Dak ). They allow to have stuff like real mapvotes?

Then there are mods like Ns2+ just giving everyone more options to customize their gui interface and add alot helpfull stuff comp players have requested over the last years.

Most mods don't change the vanilla gameplay in any way and just add improvements ( like shine is adding a real chatbox ) . But those "good" mods allways offer the player the option to disable all features which directly have an affect on them.

Also there are a few great community maps etc.

So i think overall mods have improved ns2 in many ways and make it more playable ( e.g let's face it the vanilla vote system is crap ).

Most stuff you see now in vanilla where originally things mods (e.g badges, the spectator mode and so on ) added. So mods actually improved also the vanilla ns2.

• RicezRicez Join Date: 2013-04-13 Member: 184784Members
    YOClan runs pure vanilla. Except for 1 custom map that was added yesterday.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited April 2014
    Ricez wrote: »

And with that you got the only critical issue mods can cause in combination with workshop timeouts. That the server freezes at a mapchange ...

Otherwise i don't get why ppl think mods are bad, ofc the need to be configurated and therefor cause more work for the admins at the start but then they improve the server in many ways.

Worst times where those where modded servers were marked yellow. Since then some ppl developed a real bad "modphobi" .

Overall here is another reasson why mods are GOOD. The allow us ( the community ) to fix bugs and issue of the vanilla builds immediately like currently the mineshaft issue.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    You cant play vanilla mineshaft btw. So you need an "evil" mod called mineshaft_fixed to play it.
    Yeah, mods really suck.
    They advancing the game with usefull features "shine (adminmod), NS2+ (more options and fps) names on minimap, etc".
    What? more fps cause an mod? Nah, i want vanilla.

If you have played on 3 servers you have 80% of the current used mods anyway.

So whats the fukin problem.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    edited April 2014
    Ricez wrote: »
    It sounds biased as hell, but I prefer to play in servers with, at the very least ns2+, and if possible cross spawns. The fact that YO is pure vanilla makes it a non-desirable server for me, although I used to have it on my favorites.

HBZ does mods great, it has always been one of the best european servers and with good skill level too.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Mods don't suck, the workshop sucks :/

For server admins its annoying not being able to run stuff like custom maps without people getting timeout/mod missing errors when joining.
    For players, well, how many times would YOU try to reconnect to a server? Would you bother trying that server in the future?
    There is a difference between useless mods like every kind of texture mod (weapon models, pink scancycles), strange custom balancing and usefull mods advancing the game with new features.

Here is a list of "mods" that become part of the game:
    - Summit
    - Spectator overview
    - Eclipse
    - Countless hotfixes from Andi (sewlek), Samus Orphan Black, matso.
    - Balance test

So in the past mods fixes gamebreakers while unmodded servers where unplayble. (like the current mineshaft bug)

• aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited April 2014

As you play the game more, you will probably see the utility of having a few mods running on the server. Most servers don't have gameplay altering mods that change the core gameplay. General mods I like that don't alter NS2 gameplay (beyond a reasonable level):

Shine admin mod
    Player names on minimap
    NS2+

Custom server solutions to 'balance' players to a team, depending on skill level
    Custom maps that players can vote to play on
    Any hotfix mods that correct issues with a broken map that haven't been fixed officially yet.
  • Sharp-ShooterSharp-Shooter Join Date: 2011-05-11 Member: 98364Members
    without mods natural selection wouldn't exist in the first place
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I'm not sure if this is trolling.
  • ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    The way NS2 deals with mods is so weird. I've never seen a game where a client has to download mods for things like administrative tools. It also sucks that there is no way to block certain mods. So have fun with those ear bleeding, super cheesy, "ULTRA KILLLLLLLLL" sound effects and things like replacement heart heal spray particle.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts

Wow 862 posts... he's been busy! :P
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    He's not actually a new player. He's postulating a hypothetical from the perspective of a new player. I get what he's saying and there is sort of a point. Unfortunately there's no real way to deal with it. UWE has stated that they won't be making a "whitelist" of mods that are sanctioned. The situation improved a lot with the build that abolished that "Yellow" modded server list. Unfortunately now there no indication of how modded a server is except for its name.

So from a new player's point of view, they just bought a game and they won't really get why there are no servers running "just that game." They know nothing about mods or anything of that sort. They don't want to bother with anything in the workshop, they just want to play this game they just bought. From their perspective, it seems like this is all one big clustergrenade of modded games.
    Oh my god.
    A adminmod is the reason why NS2 has lost all the players?
    UWE need todo something ASAP.
    edited April 2014
    ns2isgood wrote: »
    The way NS2 deals with mods is so weird. I've never seen a game where a client has to download mods for things like administrative tools. It also sucks that there is no way to block certain mods. So have fun with those ear bleeding, super cheesy, "ULTRA KILLLLLLLLL" sound effects and things like replacement heart heal spray particle.

You know that you can disable the killstreak sounds at your client? Just have a look at the console after joining the server, the shine startup msg explains how to disable them ;)

And i can list you a hugh list of other games which also require you to download admistrative tools . Starting with hl, cs, quake and so on.