RIFT + Kinect

SammeySammey Join Date: 2012-06-14 Member: 153266Members, Reinforced - Shadow
Next to rift support, I'd love to see Kinect support also added for Subnautica.

I want to put on my Rift and make swimming moves with my arm to move arround in the game!
Subnautica players will be recognizable by their muscular arms!

Comments

• SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    edited April 2014
    Do you even swim, bro?

Edit: or do you even RIFT?
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    I don't think we are even thinking about consoles right now.
  • SammeySammey Join Date: 2012-06-14 Member: 153266Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2014
    Do you even swim, bro?

Yes.
    I don't think we are even thinking about consoles right now.

I'm talking about the Windows Kinect SDK, it has been available for quite some time!
    Getting it to work in Unity3D is a matter of dragging a free asset prefab into your project :)

Here you can see. The last shot (0.25) is a bird game I made where you have to flap your arms like a bird to fly :D

They already have tons of work to do, Kinect should not be in their plans right now.
    Ok think about marketing value then. A game that supports both Rift and Kinect would sounds a lot more unique then a game that supports Rift. And the gameplay seems very fitting for it, unlike any other game. And as I stated above, its fairly simple to implement in Unity3D.

I think a game solely based on exploration and experience should get it's (marketing) value from unique, ( and yes maybe silly ) stuff like this.

It wont help. It's fairly simple to implement in just unity3d, but that doesn't incliude the fact it is hard to maintain. AFAIK most people don't even use kinect on pc and is waste of development time. You should talk about it after release instead of putting even more burden on the devs than they already have.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Wow, that's a really cool idea. I am not sure it would work for full time gaming, but as something extra, it would be great.
    Wow, that's a really cool idea. I am not sure it would work for full time gaming, but as something extra, it would be great.

Yeah!!
    It wont help. It's fairly simple to implement in just unity3d, but that doesn't incliude the fact it is hard to maintain. AFAIK most people don't even use kinect on pc and is waste of development time. You should talk about it after release instead of putting even more burden on the devs than they already have.

Im not demanding anything coolitic, I'm merely throwing some fun ideas out there!
    It's up to the developers to do something with it or not.