Civ: Beyond Earth - Alpha Centauri 2?! GET HYPE

AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
edited April 2014 in Off-Topic

early screenshots
Few gameplay details
Extensive interview! Lots of cool stuff!
The first thing we did was go on Wikipedia to the Alpha Centauri webpage, and it has the books that Brian Reynolds and his team read, so we read those, and that was our starting point. And we read a lot more, and got a survey of all the weird things we could do and the weird places we could go, and the tech web really reflects that. They cater to each of those affinities as we mentioned, but there's always this thread of plausibility through the whole thing. It was important to us not to start high sci-fi, but to gradually get there through a route that seems very plausible to the player.
One of the favourite features from Alpha Centauri is the unit workshop, which everybody really likes, even though in our opinion the design of that could have been improved, so we did!

Comments

• cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Eh, I have seen better announcements/ads but not bad!

I would say a bit overhyped.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Hm. I've never been a fan of the Civilisation games, but looking at what those guys made with XCOM - Enemy Unknown, it will surely be a great game.

Call me again when they announce a new Galactic Civilisations.
  • SpoogeSpooge Thunderbolt missile in your cheerios Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 67Members
    Alpha Centauri was the first boxed PC game I purchased. Never tried a Civilization game but I might get into this.
    It sounds like they even used the same voice actress from AC!
  • ANeMANeM Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16267Members, Constellation

You mean like this?

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    ANeM wrote: »

You mean like this?

Sweet, thanks. I'm going to put that on my wishlist.
  • NammNamm Join Date: 2011-12-08 Member: 137116Members
    Wow. Alpha Centauri, the first game I bought for Windows. It was years since I played. The movies and quotes were fantastic. Thankfully, YouTube are full of them:

Nanites!

I can go on all day (and maybe I will). Great memories. :)
  • QuaunautQuaunaut The longest seven days in history... Join Date: 2003-03-21 Member: 14759Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Holy hell I actually recognize some names in this thread. Hey Align, hey Spooge, hey ANeM.

Sorry, not even gonna attempt to be on topic here, just lookin' around the old joint.