Fixing Descent

kmgkmg Join Date: 2008-02-28 Member: 63758Members
edited April 2014 in Competitive Play
Descent Fixed mod on steam workshop:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=246015799

637x358.resizedimage

Is descent broken? Or does it just seem that way to some people? Does changing descent to be less rushable on horizontal spawns make it a more sensible map, or does it just reduce variety in play? Is what I've proposed above a viable improvement to descent? If not, is there some similar modification which could improve it?

These are all questions I'm interested in hearing your answers to. This is sort of an amalgam of ideas, none of which were really mine. I don't claim to know the map or game well enough to make this sort of call. So the more feedback the better. Ideally all levels of competitive players could weigh in here as sort of an informal survey.

I've also created a complementary thread on the ensl forums:

http://www.ensl.org/topics/1094

Comments

• joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    You can't routeblock the retarded vents on horizontal spawns. The excuse of 'put mines in the vent' just doesn't work either.
  • ball2hiball2hi Join Date: 2012-10-22 Member: 163128Members
    A suggestion for the vents. The vent from water-treatment into Monorail (Top vent) should lead into Silo. The vent from lobby into the east side of Gravity Control should just lead directly into the north of Gravity Control.

Descent needs a fix for competitive play. I'm glad this is being worked on and doesn't as retarded of a map.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Yeah decoy I'm going to route block a vent and just sit inside of it the entire game.
  • kmgkmg Join Date: 2008-02-28 Member: 63758Members
    gimme some feedback. joshy says i should just remove the launch vent and the mono vent entirely. thoughts?
    kmg wrote: »
    gimme some feedback. joshy says i should just remove the launch vent and the mono vent entirely. thoughts?
    There needs to be a 2nd way into Gravity Control. As Aliens I feel like I'm just running into a shooting gallery when I go down that hallway towards the RT.

• DecoyDecoy Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159037Members, Super Administrators, Playtest Lead, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    edited April 2014
    Locklear wrote: »
    Yeah decoy I'm going to route block a vent and just sit inside of it the entire game.

NOT LIKE YOU DO ANYTHING USEFUL ANYWAY LOCK.

The forums are filtering my obscenities. Sprinkle some in there to make it sound like me.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    ball2hi wrote: »
    kmg wrote: »
    There needs to be a 2nd way into Gravity Control. As Aliens I feel like I'm just running into a shooting gallery when I go down that hallway towards the RT.

Disagree. Yes it is hard to get a flank but even if you would use the old launch vent, it would take way to long. The small broken glass window by the east entrance is more than enough to get into the room without getting super chipped.
  • _mod_mod New Zealand Join Date: 2013-11-01 Member: 188922Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I'd bee keen to see vents still near mono and launch just maybe rerouting into silo and the actual bay (where the plane is). Maybe play around with the verticality of the vents as well.
    to be clear this mod currently reroutes the launch vent so that it runs from receiving to gravity control. the gravity exit is above the eastern entrance hallway high enough so that marines should be able to shoot skulks peaking from the vent while on the extractor.

it also moves the exit of the monorail vent down to the floor on the same wall so that it should be able to mine and deal with in general.

i'm going to make an update to this mod which will remove both of these vents entirely. so it will be no receiving vent, and water treatment will still go to depot but not mono. i'm also going to change it to actually override ns2_descent directly instead of creating a new map.

here's hoping for continued discussion. hopefully somebody actually plays with this mod sometime soon :P
  • simbasimba Join Date: 2012-05-06 Member: 151628Members
    I like it. It is my strong opinion that there should never be a lane into a main base that is only usable by one team. It creates opportunity for exploitation that proves very unbalanced.

Think about the gorge tunnel to receiving (alien mono spawn). If marines push hard on the tunnel, they have to go around, which the aliens can counter by pushing in the base. You're stuck with leaving a marine in/very near to base with mines/turrets. The whole play is a very unbalanced low risk lane for aliens to get from their own base to the marine base that is very difficult to block.

If it were like the comp lab to flight control vent, in which the lane becomes usable by BOTH teams, sure, why not? But such a crucial and exclusive lane that only one team can use that the other must remain incredibly conscious of without guaranteeing completely safety? Come on.
    Updates:
    Remove launch contol to receiving vent entirely, no gravity control vent.
    Remove monorail branch of water treatment to depot vent entirely.

This currently overrides the existing ns2_descent when active.
    So what does everybody think of this version? The caps are sorta ugly right now, just wanted to iterate quickly.
  • WobWob Join Date: 2005-04-08 Member: 47814Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Just because it looks "Wheel" like like summit, doesn't mean you play it the same way.

Leave the map alone. It's not broken, it's different. The majority of complaints stem from the fact that people are very rigid in their strategic skills employing mostly experience rather than strategic ability. Often people don't see counters and strategies for certain things until they experience positive results. The majority of players are copy cats rather than intuitive, clever strategists. If everyone was like this, you'd see summit/biodome or tram map copies with very very subtle changes and the game would be boring.
    nachos wrote: »
    Just because it looks "Wheel" like like summit, doesn't mean you play it the same way.

Leave the map alone. It's not broken, it's different. The majority of complaints stem from the fact that people are very rigid in their strategic skills employing mostly experience rather than strategic ability. Often people don't see counters and strategies for certain things until they experience positive results. The majority of players are copy cats rather than intuitive, clever strategists. If everyone was like this, you'd see summit/biodome or tram map copies with very very subtle changes and the game would be boring.

You can't counter Mono/Launch vents, even with mines.
  • WobWob Join Date: 2005-04-08 Member: 47814Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    ball2hi wrote: »
    nachos wrote: »

You can't counter Mono/Launch vents, even with mines.

Mono/Launch vents can be played to benefit marines far more than aliens. You can leave it vulnerable and exposed to shepherd aliens in then wipe them with mines + 1 marine.

It's called zoning. It's a skill.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited April 2014
    Route blocking or screening but for the love of gorges stop calling it zoning.
    soooo this is here if anybody's interested in it. people don't seem super motivated about this idea, and I wouldn't call the consensus overwhelming. so if anybody wants to do anything with this or has other suggestions just hit me up. but instead of everybody complaining about these vents in the future hopefully everybody keeps in mind that this mod exists.