Is Collision Console Command a Cheat?

2»

Comments

• UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    I believe i am still right to vote on 100% cloaking while walking. Even if devs have to lower speed when 100% cloaked.

The effect surely looks different on ATI vs NVidia and; or high vs lower setting (gamma, detail... whatever).

Then stays the fluo skin exploit... as Ragnareb mentioned.

• elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2014
    low fps excuse is a joke.

If the purpose of the command was to spot cloaked skulks and other things, who would actually use it in combat. You don't need 200 fps to walk around a map.

Thought that would have been pretty obvious from the outset. so yes, this is a cheat.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    matso wrote: »
    Can't say if anything will happen with it though; the similar one for nav_debug hasn't been touched.

It would make it much harder for the average Joe to spot a nav mesh issue in maps and report it, if the feature was locked away behind the cheats command. I was able to nail the Mineshaft issue down in the very first match right after patch release thanks to nav_debug being available on every server.
  • MoFoMoFo Join Date: 2013-09-09 Member: 188047Members
    wow you guys weren't kidding about the fps drop... I tried it and went from just under 200fps to 15 lol.

So it's the gamma settings or that skin or whatever, in my opinion it is still basically the exact same thing as using a hack... When it's set so you can spot a 100% invisible (not moving with lvl 3 veil) skulk from so far away SO easily, it's cheating.

Example: I remember one game on summit where Aliens had already lost (pushed back to hive, not even 1 RT) yet we still had our 3 veils so I went phantom skulk and moved up to a random spot waaaaaaaaaaay out in crevice and sat to wait for the last few concede votes to roll in. Low and behold the top marine player walks into crevice and miraculously is able to easily spot and kill me... His response when I said wtf... "I saw the shimmer"

Yeah BS, lvl 3 cloaked aliens should be 100% invisible no matter what skin or graphical settings you have chosen.

• elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2014
    MoFo wrote: »
    wow you guys weren't kidding about the fps drop... I tried it and went from just under 200fps to 15 lol.

So it's the gamma settings or that skin or whatever, in my opinion it is still basically the exact same thing as using a hack... When it's set so you can spot a 100% invisible (not moving with lvl 3 veil) skulk from so far away SO easily, it's cheating.

Example: I remember one game on summit where Aliens had already lost (pushed back to hive, not even 1 RT) yet we still had our 3 veils so I went phantom skulk and moved up to a random spot waaaaaaaaaaay out in crevice and sat to wait for the last few concede votes to roll in. Low and behold the top marine player walks into crevice and miraculously is able to easily spot and kill me... His response when I said wtf... "I saw the shimmer"

Yeah BS, lvl 3 cloaked aliens should be 100% invisible no matter what skin or graphical settings you have chosen.

If you move your mouse, your model will also move. The effects are especially obvious when you are stuck to rocks or uneven jutting surfaces because the model will tend to spasm more and attach/detach causing movement. I would also not rule out a veil dying and you not noticing.

unmoving skulks at lvl 3 cloak are already 100% invisible.

• MoFoMoFo Join Date: 2013-09-09 Member: 188047Members
    elodea wrote: »
    If you move your mouse, your model will also move. The effects are especially obvious when you are stuck to rocks or uneven jutting surfaces because the model will tend to spasm more and attach/detach causing movement. I would also not rule out a veil dying and you not noticing.

Wasn't even touching my mouse, and I looked after dying to see all 3 veils still up.

There are players who can easily spot lvl 3 cloaked aliens even when they are not moving at all...

• ZinkeyZinkey Join Date: 2013-06-25 Member: 185694Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    MoFo wrote: »

Wasn't even touching my mouse, and I looked after dying to see all 3 veils still up.

There are players who can easily spot lvl 3 cloaked aliens even when they are not moving at all...

Level 3 is not 100% cloak though. It still gives a subtle light distortion effect. When playing at high fps with a decent monitor I find moving my viewpoint as a marine is enough to spot an alien. You see lines/textures being slightly distorted in one area in a skulk shape.

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver

They are not; since b250, its about 95% max.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Cloak yourself 100% with three veils, can you still see your outline shimmering on the screen or have you completely disappeared?

If you can still see your outline distorted, you should be able to see others, you just need to be aware of what you are looking for, If you can't see your outline when fully cloaked, try adjusting your monitor settings.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited April 2014
    @elodea

False.
    They are still very much visible to the observant eye, with a shimmering outline that is incredibly easy to spot against light sources.
    Definitely not 100%

Not the best example of how easy it can be (brighter backgrounds help), but it gets the idea across. In full motion it's even easier to spot:
    Kb4vdi1.jpg
    vs.
    oiP75G3.jpg
    Not very sneaky..
    mnHTJee.jpg
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    @IronHorse‌ - Why false me? I was agreeing.. lol :D
    then i stand corrected. time to do some gamma boosting
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    In addition, you're not 100% invisible when you're completely still in shade range either.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    d0ped0g wrote: »
    In addition, you're not 100% invisible when you're completely still in shade range either.

You aren't?

...why? D:
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I run a couple of NS2 servers. Is there any way I can disable the collision command for the players?
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited April 2014
    Zefram skulk is only visible when he chooses to be. During combat he ascends to a god-level skulk invincible to mortal man. Think of him as the Chuck Norris skulk.

Disclaimer: Zefram Onos, on the other hand, flashes faster than golden's lerk.
  • ZeframZefram Join Date: 2004-05-11 Member: 28611Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    Locklear wrote: »
    Dat zefram skulk.
    I'm an asian skulk. That automatically makes me a ninja skulk.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited April 2014
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    @IronHorse‌ - Why false me? I was agreeing.. lol :D
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    Cloak yourself 100% with three veils, can you still see your outline shimmering on the screen or have you completely disappeared?

If you can still see your outline distorted, you should be able to see others, you just need to be aware of what you are looking for, If you can't see your outline when fully cloaked, try adjusting your monitor settings.
    I guess i misread what you wrote there ^
    Sounded like you were saying cloaking yourself 100% was a) possible b) able to be determined by looking at your first person view, when it is is active.
    edited April 2014
    @IronHorse‌ - What do you mean your 1st person view model completely disappears?

It does not, it has exactly the same amount of distortion as the world model. I thought you were a playtester :P Here is a short video showing a distorted gorge view model, you can clearly see the same distortion effect around the top and bottom of the screen.

This distortion effect is what you should be looking out for in-game, and I stand by my answer as posted above that you can see the shimmer you need to look for by looking at your view model.

edited April 2014
    Yes, like i said, i misunderstood what you wrote. ;)
    Have edited your name from my prior post to make up for it
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2014
    I believe i am still right to vote on 100% cloaking while walking. Even if devs have to lower speed when 100% cloaked.

The effect surely looks different on ATI vs NVidia and; or high vs lower setting (gamma, detail... whatever).

Then stays the fluo skin exploit... as Ragnareb mentioned.
    Modern shaders really do not work that way... everything should look the same and be IHV agnostic. Especially considering how proficient the devs are...
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Zefram wrote: »
    Locklear wrote: »
    Dat zefram skulk.
    I'm an asian skulk. That automatically makes me a ninja skulk.
    Or a pro-drifter Gorge right?