Naturally Selected 2D - a NS2 demake

FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
edited March 2014 in NS2 General Discussion
Last weekend was host to Mini Ludum Dare 50, a game jam with 'demakes' as its theme. @DaanVanYperen and myself took this opportunity to take NS2 and turn it into a 2d platformer called Naturally Selected 2D. Keep in mind that this was a 72 hour game jam, and while we're very satisfied with the result, this game isn't a highly polished, thoroughly tested, and expertly balanced product just yet. ;)

Some instructions for those interested!

o Control movement with WASD, attack with SPACE or MOUSE1, and purchase structures by pressed E when you are next to them.
o The level contains 3 command stations. Protect these from the aliens. If a single command station is destroyed, you lose. A large red icon will appear when a command station is taking damage.
o Aliens (Sulks, Gorgels, and Balbers) spawn from the vents. A blue arrow will indicate the direction of the active vents.
o Sentries deteriorate over time, don't expect them to cover an area for very long.
o Extractors and command stations produce resources, but you have to make sure to pick up the resources yourself.
o You start with an LMG, and armories poop out weapons like shotguns and GLs at certain intervals.
o Jetpackin' ain't easy.

Download the game HERE and let us know what you think!
Play the web client HERE.

Also, @DaanVanYperen put a coding timelapse video on YouTube, so check that out!

120o7KU.jpg

Zvg5p3r.jpg

XhgTsPV.jpg

Comments

• ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    edited March 2014
    Fun game, crashes after a couple 15 seconds for me though :<
    edit: and it leaves the process "ns2d-mld50.exe" running, can't kill it either.
    edit2: Avast Deep Screen was killing it.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    lol played for a few min.

JP can only be described as WACKY

Very fun.
  • MartigenMartigen Australia Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2714Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Reinforced - Onos
    This is amazing! Is it possible to work with UWE to produce a polished product that can be sold cheap, splitting profits between you both and UWE?

Sword of the Stars developers Kerberos did exactly this last year creating The Pit, a rogue clone, to continue its own funding and work on SOTS2.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2014
    It's fun and awesome, but my marine keeps getting dizzy with that crazy jetpack and then I'm covered in Babblers :P
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2014
    I was right about 2d ns2 platforming at the 27 days mark, although it wasn't UWE who made it.
    james888 wrote: »
    IronHorse wrote: »
    *bites lip*

I love reading the wild guesses whenever stuff like this happens.. but you guys aren't going out to left field enough ;)
    tumblr_inline_mrwhqtavEn1qz4rgp.gif

Hungry hungry onos goes stand alone?
    A flash based gorge rag doll game?
    2d ns2 platforming? Where kharra are on one side, marines are on the other?
    LOM! League of MVP's?
  • DarkSeraphDarkSeraph Join Date: 2004-06-07 Member: 29174Members
    Fun game, great work Flat & Daan.
    Jetpackin' ain't easy.
    Truth!
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Haha, this is absolutely awesome.
    How can something like this be done in 72 hours? It's so good.
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Daan is an experienced Ludum alumnus, he has done a number of game jams and knows how to dismiss ideas that would take too long to implement. As for the graphics I did, I guess one of the tricks was just to not create too many new sprites and re-use a lot.

There are just 8 player sprites (2 idle, 1 jetpacking, 4 walking, 1 hologram)
    12 background wall sprites which are all based on the same first sprite
    2 sets of 10 pipe sprites which are also all based on the same first one
    17 floor sprites which are also all copied from an original and modified
    10 structure sprites including their holograms (holograms are just recoloured with scanlines added)
    5 sprites for sulks (3 body, 2 head)
    5 sprites for gorgels (3 body, 2 head)
    2 sprites for balbers
    64 particle sprites which are small and easy to do
    and about 10 UI related sprites

I had the easy job. :D
  • NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members
    Amazing work. I've watched the time-lapse vid, but that stuff's over my head probably because I've only worked in Game Maker before. Guess I need to start learning C++ if I want to make something from scratch. x.x
    xen32 wrote: »
    Haha, this is absolutely awesome.
    How can something like this be done in 72 hours? It's so good.
    I think it's due to having a basic framework from a previous project or perhaps DaanVanYperen is just a lightning-fast coder.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Fun as hell, but gets impossible to go anywhere reliably with the jetpack. I had to use the shotgun's recoil instead (lol)
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    SHUT UP AND TAKE MY RESOURCES
  • GameOverGameOver Germany Join Date: 2003-10-15 Member: 21700Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I just can agree with my previous speaker. This game is fun, especially because the JP is hard to handle.

But there seems to be a bug! - 75% (wild estimation) of the Aliens are around the CC in the lower level. So i was wondering the first 5 Stages where the Aliens are. I stopped wondering after i dropped on the lowest level (it was Stage 13 then) and got covered with Babblers, Sulks, Gorgels who wanted to share hugs. Also the Aliens doesn't seem to attack the CC on the lower level.
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    @DaanVanYperen managed to set up the web client! <3 You'll have to figure out for yourselves whether the web client or the .exe runs smoother, but the option is now available. \o/

Check it out here: ludum.mostlyoriginal.net/game/ns2d/
    I made a timelapse video of the pixelart process (and threw in some gameplay for good measure).

• 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Impressive work for just 3 days! Fun even!
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    any plans on fixing the jetpack?
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    If you have these skills you should work hard on a silly mobile game and maybe become a millionaire off it with your buddies

ex: flappy bird
  • shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @DaanVanYperen managed to set up the web client! <3 You'll have to figure out for yourselves whether the web client or the .exe runs smoother, but the option is now available. \o/

Check it out here: ludum.mostlyoriginal.net/game/ns2d/

Works pretty nicely on Firefox Nightly but the sounds are buggy
    any plans on fixing the jetpack?
    Working as intended. :P
  • fat catfat cat Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164696Members, Reinforced - Silver
    this is actually very good, thanks for the great 2d ns2 :D
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    So... how would I go about getting this to work on my phone? I also am and oddball with windows phone 8.