Oculus rift is dead

2»

Comments

• Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Oh, and for the people who do think it is going to happen, and are arguing over facebook making you log into itself so it can track you, have you never heard of hardware tracking? Seems the US military haven't either, or they would have been more subtle when hijacking the malaysian airlines plane...

http://intellihub.com/freelance-journalist-hijacked-flight-370-passenger-sent-photo-hidden-iphone-tracing-back-secret-u-s-military-base-diego-garcia/
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited April 2014
    They also said the plane was abducted by aliens, or captured by ghosts. I wouldn't trust that article yet as it isn't hard to fake data. I would wait until a general resolution is found before trusting anything.

VR is much better than before, and it does work as a cool thing to play with (for limited periods of time or you end up puking all over it). But, it isn't something that will be widely adopted.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2014
    You know, I've been thinking about this thing for a while and I'm not sure this headgear is going to be marketable anyways. I mean would you want to come home to relax a bit with your console or computer and have to put on this gear and stuff. Basically having to suit up to game, compared to picking up a controller and just chilling on the couch or behind your Keyboard...

Can you imagine sitting for a few hours with that gear on, sure it has the coolness factor. But I'm sticking to my guns of either holodeck or nothing :P

Matrix style is also out of the question. You're also setting yourself up for pranks when plugged into something like that. I mean true friends are trolls, who will do something to make you look silly, especially when you're helpless like that :))
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    @coolitic‌ - My point was about how easy it is for a piece of hardware to know where it is at all times, without logging into facebook...

I have about as much interest in the plane as I do in VR.... That is to say, I don't think either of them will have any effect on my life...
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited April 2014
    I dont expect Oculus to be spying on me unless it had hackers. In that case, even our computers are vulnerable to hacking.

Oculus is nice to use for short periods of times, but the strapping that c4 on your face feels awkward and uncomfortable, not to mention some people get "vr sickness" after long periods of time. I hope all my friends get oculus though, would be fun to troll them.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I already put my headphones on every day so if it became light enough...
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    The Rift is surprisingly light and comfy, even for extended periods. It's a little more than twice the weight as my phone at ~290g, but much less dense (that also includes the straps). I've done some long ~3 hour sessions with NS2, and streamed them previously, in which the playtesting team and some devs had watched. The only thing I don't like is that the lower strap goes relatively close to my ears, meaning I have to position it slightly off where I want it to. It's not uncomfortable, but it feels less stable.

As someone that despises 3D movies not just as a movie going experience, but as an idea in the first place, the applications it has for gaming are much greater and much more realized due to the "immersion" factor which everyone is riding hard nowadays.
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    I think you have to try the OR before you can say anything about it in terms of hardware or potential.
    I was a huge skeptic before I tried it. After a ten minute demo I've ordered my crystal cove Prototype and really looking forward to playing around with it.

As for the facebook acquisition, I've got no concerns in the short term. Investment of that size just cements VRs future and since occulus don't hold any serious patents and we'll soon see more people move into the hardware production side of things (other than sony) once the market is established. You're not going to throw billions at a product to turn it into a turd that no one wants.
  • _mod_mod New Zealand Join Date: 2013-11-01 Member: 188922Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I will maintain that this 2bn cash injection is a good thing until John Carmack leaves along with the ex head Valve VR guy who just joined.
    I mean sure some kind of story could break in a month or two detailing how worse everything is there now but for now there is no indicator for that.
    Just a lot of supposition from internet communities.
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    In hindsight:
    *Facebookulus took the scummy walled garden approach; going so far as to pay developers to make a vive game exclusive to the rift. Facebook is terrible for PC VR. Only due to intense community pressure did they allow software that makes oculus games playable on the Vive and this requires invasive facebook software installed on your computer.
    *Palmer abandoned most of his ideals of openness and went back on most of his promises; because facebook runs the company, not Palmer
    *Facebookulus rift is not a "display strapped to your face", it absolutely requires drivers made by Facebook and always-on services running on your computer to make the tracking, image warping for the lenses etc. work correctly.
    *There's still no way in hell I would let facebook have essentially two IR go-pros in my room and a microphone.
    *It's privacy policy is predictably horrendous
    *Oculus rift was the face of VR and has now been outsold by a factor of ~two by the Vive. That's the Facebook reverse midas touch in action. Facebook backing was a disaster.
    *The $2 billion cash injection did not help oculus succeed; the launch was terrible and late; the system lacked room scale and tracked controllers (I own a Vive; they're awesome; you might be sceptical about motion controls, but imagine mouse-like precision in 6D instead a mouse stuck on a 2D plane). The Facebook acquisition instantly killed the cooperation with Valve, which was key to the DK2's success.

Oculus is in the "honey-moon" phase right now. If they haven't mortally wounded themselves already, it's just a matter of time until they acquire enough users and start sharing data with facebook, gradually turning on various spying features, like they have a long history of doing with e.g. facebook for mobiles.