model files

Commando24Commando24 Viel Join Date: 2014-03-10 Member: 194643Members
edited March 2014 in Modding
just a quick question. are ns2's .model files (example: gorge.Model) the same as .mdl files? if not, is there any way to convert the .model files to .mdl files?
I want to know because I need to decompile .mdl files to a different format to be able to upload them to the steam SFM workshop. so if the ns2 models are not .mdl files I can't convert them.

Comments

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2014
    Commando24 wrote: »
    just a quick question. are ns2's .model files (example: gorge.Model) the same as .mdl files? if not, is there any way to convert the .model files to .mdl files?
    I want to know because I need to decompile .mdl files to a different format to be able to upload them to the steam SFM workshop. so if the ns2 models are not .mdl files I can't convert them.

It's a proprietary format unless I'm mistaken. There's no known way to decompile them. (Well... unless you work for UWE... ;) )

Many of the models are provided with their .max source file though! Mostly just the gameplay stuff, no props or anything. If you look in your "Natural Selection 2" directory (not "ns2", the one above it) there's a folder called "assets".
  • Commando24Commando24 Viel Join Date: 2014-03-10 Member: 194643Members
    oh wow thanks! I had no idea! this helps me out so much! I cannot express my gratitude!
    p.s nice profile pic :)
  • EndeneyroEndeneyro Join Date: 2012-02-14 Member: 145674Members
    I not find files max in folder «assets»... :(
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2019
    We removed the asset files some time ago to lower the overall installation size for the average user. But you can still gain access to them following these instructions:
    1. Right-click at ns2 in your steam library and select properties
    2. Open the Betas tab
    3. Enter forthemodders into the betas access code field and click at check code. It should tell you that a number of private branches have been unlocked
    4. Select the build_307 beta
    5. Wait for the download to finish
    6. Open your ns2 installation folder. There should be now a assets folder.

• ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Pm,d anyway you can decompile the models with a tool without animations in SMD format and then import animations from 3dsmax then import into source engine for goldsrc it requires dumbing down the animations though. Let me know how it goes or add me on steam id/archie