Map designer for Factions

oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
edited March 2014 in Mapping
I'm apart of the mod that Sewlek is currently developing called Factions and we're wondering if anyone of you guys are willing to participate in creating maps?

The mod works by having a place where all players meet up, a place where you may que for missions. This place is called virtualreality. I'm currently designing virtualreality and I used all my inspiration from eclipse due to it's fantastic visuals. Check picture belows.

8a443132cca61cda311789253b6440.jpg
The picture above is where you can see the mission terminal where you're able to que for mission.

7525da4dd04285777456946beb4c00.jpg
Another picture above, an gathering place where you're able to choose a team to enter the training arena (while you're waiting for a match to be created).

There are currently three types of game mod for factions.

Game Type Assault

The attacking team has to capture 3 objective points in order to win.
Once they run out of time they lose and each captured objective grants additional time.

Requires 3 “objective” entities. One for each stage, stage one, stage two, stage three.
Requires 6 beacons per team: one for each stage, one of not pickupable (3 * 2)
Requires at least 1 attacker and 1 defender start point per stage
optionally have force fields be enabled / disabled per stage

Game Type Payload

The attacking team has to move a payload (by standing next to it) across 3 check points.
Once the last check point is reached, the attackers won. When the time is up, the defenders won.
Each reached checkpoint grants additional time.

The same requirements as assault game type, difference is DO NOT place an objective. Instead
place 1 payload entity and define its path with payload_pathpoint. Points need to have an
ascending number (point needs a unique number), where index 0 is the start point were the
payload will be placed once the game is reset. Exactly 3 of those points need to have the
flag “stagePoint” set to true (those are the checkpoints).

Game Type Control

There are 3 objective points placed throughout the map. The team which holds more points at
any give time, will generate points. The first team which reaches 100 points or the team
which has more points once the time is up has won.

Sewlek made an quick layout for a map called f_pld_desertstorm which is a map that uses game type payload and I would like to find a mapper which can improve the layout and it's visuals for a rich environment. Check the pictures below.
0798795b09802799874090937ddbb6.jpg
9ebc805cbe431bc1fddd4228d44d84.jpg
1a0a9f5f729cfc384092d23f83b773.jpg
10ef3ace06cc6e184f528ded198999.jpg

Comments

• SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    Is it possible to make a map playable in all possible game modes (or even in multiple configurations for the same game mode)?
  • JoseppeJoseppe Join Date: 2012-01-21 Member: 141497Members
    edited April 2014
    No (if you want to support all gametypes):
    * the map-design must fit the gameplay
    * there is no mod (right now) to support all entities (functionalities) at once

it would be possible, if:
    -you create a entity-mod which support all other mod-entities, but right now each mod has its own entity-setup
    -you change a map to support all available mods, but this is nearly impossible (gorge race vs regular ns2 map design)

Yes (if you want to support only specific gametypes):
    single map for regular ns2 & combat mod is possible. (random spawns without close spawns VS close spawns)

>> example - map-design:
    regular ns2: huge size, different random spawns
    combat mod: smaller sized map with close spawns
    gorge race mod: huge linear map with 1 single route through-out the map (first belly-sliding gorge reaching victory line wins)

>> example - entities (functionalities):
    * regular ns2: techpoint setup can be random or a specific race, but it needs to be possible to avoid specific techpoint configurations (no close spawns)
    * combat mod: could be used with regular techpoint-setup (in my opinion)
    * gorge race: needs extra entities to setup the finish line, no techpoint entities necessary
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    edited April 2014
    That's too bad. Map development is an extremely time consuming process. Maybe some form of multi-mode option might be made available in the future.

P.S. Obviously, different modes require their own entities configured in a particular way. That wasn't my point. If you know ahead of time that you want to support all of the modes, there should be a way to handle this.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    hmm, the game modes are very different from each other, i dont think it makes much sense to try to make a map which features all of them. it would be of course possible for me to add a "game mode" property to the entities, but you will still have to make small adjustments per game mode (another crate here or there, maybe another door, add/remove a route etc), which means you could make one general map, which looks nice, and make then tweaks per game mode and save those files under different names