Thought games like this don't exist on pubs anymore...

HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
edited March 2014 in NS2 General Discussion
Just played a 50-min game where the server unfortunately restarted at the end - scheduled by the owner I think (no complaints about server stability, I haven't really seen crashes lately).

Everyone on the server was really good, it was oni/fades against jetpackers/exos all the time. There was some back and forth, it was veil deadlock, nano was shifting back and forth between aliens and marines (probably 3-4 turns each).

I thought games like these didn't really happen anymore, so thus the post. I enjoyed this one. I haven't had one like it in months. That's all.

P.S. For whoever was just in it, I was playing as "[Modem] Pingyang" in my not-so-recently acquired smurftrolololing style.

Comments

• meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Lower skilled servers seem to have a much larger proportion of these kinds of games, based on my observations.
    I still see plenty of these drawn out back-and-forth style games in skilled servers, but they're much less common due to teams either conceding or pulling together and finishing the job.
    Does my head in when, e.g. it's mid-late game and the aliens are on one hive and have nano, and the comm wants to take nano and THEN the hive, rather than just finishing the hive off with a JPSG push or something.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    I have been in matches that took over an hour a few times. However, those kinds of matches happened mostly a long time ago.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    They are fun from time to time, but I do mostly prefer shorter games. Lately I only have so few hours to play ns2 a week. I used to play 30 hours a week though, and those long games were fun.
  • CyberKunCyberKun Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182733Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It's quite common. Starcraft 2 and Dota 2 both have issues with noobs making 50 and 80 minute long epic scrub games since no one knows how to push an advantage.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited March 2014
    Lower skilled servers seem to have a much larger proportion of these kinds of games, based on my observations.

The thing which was amazing about this game in particular was that it was NOT a low-skilled game. Like I said, there were good people almost all the way down the board, and the length wasn't because of no teamwork/I don't know how to use gorge/I don't know how to use walljump/I don't know how to shoot shotgun/etc. It was genuinely a really really good game.

I've been in a LOT of remarkably stupid games, especially around sales/release where people just don't know what to do, how to do it, or work together. This wasn't the case.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    I love it when there's a decently long round with plenty of back and forth - as long as it's not due to low skill /an incapable team.
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    HeatSurge wrote: »
    (no complaints about server stability, I haven't really seen crashes lately)

Regarding this, you may not notice it, but my own statistics show that my servers crash once per day on avarage. Pretty much all memory corruption crashes, which could also cause wierd issues (like instability), but most of the time just leads to a crash. In fairness, most of these crashes actually happen on a busy server, so it might as well be more then once a day, and very often during mapchange.
    About performance, I've also seen some odd hitches occuring only fixed by resetting/ending the round or red plugs occasionally, seems to be rather inconsistent, also may be caused of the above.
  • CD121CD121 Join Date: 2013-04-04 Member: 184635Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited March 2014
    I'm glad to hear it, truly, about your epic game. In fact, you could call me jealous. I rarely got to experience these as of late which has unfortunately led to me passing up NS2 for other games. As many know, the only real alternative to an epic game in NS2 is a stomp, or something close to it-and it's the former that drew in many of us hardcore fans, including myself.

In a way it even kind of saddens me to see this occurrence inciting a thread, as in my opinion this should be commonplace enough to keep us off the forums, telling the veterans about 'that one awesome game' in a bunch of botched rounds-and instead telling our buds about all those epic games had in that three hour NS2 binge.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    edited March 2014
    Oh CD, is it so bad as all that? from '04 to now, you must have seen a few 'comeback' or 'to and fro' matches ... I think a lot of it is our frail humans minds, replacing one game in 'short term storage' with another / every other new game played.

The thing about total personal human knowledge is there *is* a limit - we *do* need to reinforce memories to keep them 'alive' - so we reach a limit when we spend 24 hours per day remembering everything up to that point - after that, we cannot learn more.

I do hope you're not using mnemonics/M.e.n.s.a training to remember NS games?
  • CD121CD121 Join Date: 2013-04-04 Member: 184635Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited March 2014
    @OnosFactory I would like to think that my mind is not that fickle, only remembering the blatantly bad and placing the memorable ones in the back of my brain; but I can admit with confidence that for every decent/fun/awesome/epic round, there's a bunch of bad eggs to undo it. And it's as of late I believe the the ratio has increased in favor of the latter. Nowadays it seems a smattering of rooks and vets creates a "who's who" of NS2, where I feel folks are just looking and waiting for the best to join a team, and then following suit.

This is all observational of course...I could very well be clouded by grief.
  • KungFuJVKungFuJV Join Date: 2003-04-03 Member: 15167Members
    I just remember the good ones..and then spend all my game time to try to recreate the good ones...
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Some of the most fun games are where neither side will give up, love it.
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited March 2014
    Nice... We had one of these types of games in play testing last Thursday. Aliens were more consistently on the losing side but it was a great battle including a fully built ninja hive that remained alive for a while.

imo vote concede helped destroy these types of games. Before players had to F4 to concede which made people do it at a later point in the game (often when turtles happened) because they potentially could be sitting in the ready room for 10 minutes alone. Instead that willingness to stick it out a big longer and play was replaced with hold x to concede. I've seen so many games lost due to concede and even I myself have concede only to continue to try and pull off a win.

I understand why it was put in place but I believe it ended up hurting more then it helped in the long run.