What is releasing in 27 days? Speculation thread

Comments

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Comprox wrote: »
    I am posting just to get your hopes up that someone with a gold box finally answered your question.

Please... I already got trolled by @IronHorse for about a half hour over steam the other day. ;)
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    I am posting just to get your hopes up that someone with a gold box finally answered your question.

Please... I already got trolled by @IronHorse for about a half hour over steam the other day. ;)

Did he tell you about the new "pew pew" or the "door with the window"? He shouldn't have.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    I've read too many Dan Brown books to not want to send people on wild adventures with clues written in latin :D
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    current1y wrote: »
    BeigeAlert wrote: »

Did he tell you about the new "pew pew" or the "door with the window"? He shouldn't have.

Nah, all I heard was a bunch of "maybes", "can't tell you that's", "don't put your finger in there", "just wait a few days", etc. etc.
    IronHorse wrote: »
    I've read too many Dan Brown books to not want to send people on wild adventures with clues written in latin :D

Stop changing the subject! We want our update!!! :D
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    IronHorse wrote: »

Et Tu, Ironhorse?
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    and just a fyi Beige you don't use the new secondary pewpew to pew anything through any windows.
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2014
    damn this hulk has the power of foresight.

Ahwell, apology (sort of) accepted ofcourse. :)
  • ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    Another hype build up fail by UWE. GG.
    edited March 2014
    Bad news guys: "Bile Bomb Soda" has been held back.
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2014
    Is there any chance we could at least get a hint if it is game content/performance/graphics update/something substantive? Or if it is some sort... well funding scheme like you sideways mention?

Once again months go by with the majority of the NS2 community not knowing what is going on beyond hearsay...
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Hmm @Dictator93 is right...the last time they mentioned growing NS2, the Reinforcement Program was announced.

I do truly hope it wont be something like that (we already have one) and something more like an alternate client for custom game modes (official Combat Mode)
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Hugh wrote: »
    ...please don't shoot us!

Getting my shotgun ready. Just in case.
  • alsteralster Join Date: 2003-08-06 Member: 19124Members
    "What's coming is very cool, it will, if successful, drive and define the future of NS2 potentially for years to come."

Micro transactions confirmed - YES!
    $5 for a new map
    $10 for arm patch
    $20 for golden skulk

Get ready guys!
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    Alright, I'm hooked. You did it!

I just hope you don't jump the shark with that prospect! Well, you said: "IF successful" to be fair...
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Let it be matchmaking. Let it be matchmaking. *fingers-crossed*
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Please tell me your bringing back the lemon trees. I really don't see why they had to be removed.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited March 2014
    Alright, let me make a decently informed and - for me - plausible sounding guess.

UWE will stop working on NS2 and hand over the responsibility for future updates to dedicated community members (who basically know the game code by heart, anyway). Maybe some special modders, or the PT team, or whoever.

This will both ensure the future of NS2 for years to come (community driven-ness ftw) AND allow UWE to fully concentrate on future games.

Of course, this will initially lead to a lot of hype backlash, but be the best for NS2 in the long run.

How does that sound?

edit:
    Ok, we did the date thing again. *&^$ - This thing, as @ironhorse hints earlier in the thread, is really unusual. It's a new way of doing things - check, a new way of creating cool game content - check. We've never done it before - check, and the 27 day deadline is going to be missed because we weren't able to move fast enough - well....

[...]

What's coming is very cool - check, it will, if successful (!), drive and define the future of NS2 potentially for years to come - check. While it is perhaps 'smaller' than something like Reinforced or Gorgeous in 'amount of content' terms - check, it is 'bigger' in the sense that it has the potential to ensure that even as Unknown Worlds creates new games (Subnautica, who knows what else), Natural Selection 2 will continue to grow and thrive - check checkity check.

So, 'coming soon!' Short term, not Fall 2009, worth the wait, when it's done, etc, please don't shoot us! - *points with pistol menacingly*
    edited March 2014
    Alright, let me make a decently informed and - for me - plausible sounding guess.

UWE will stop working on NS2 and hand over the responsibility for future updates to dedicated community members (who basically know the game code by heart, anyway). Maybe some special modders, or the PT team, or whoever.

This will both ensure the future of NS2 for years to come (community driven-ness ftw) AND allow UWE to fully concentrate on future games.

Of course, this will initially lead to a lot of hype backlash, but be the best for NS2 in the long run.

How does that sound?

edit:
    Ok, we did the date thing again. *&^$ - This thing, as @ironhorse hints earlier in the thread, is really unusual. It's a new way of doing things - check, a new way of creating cool game content - check. We've never done it before - check, and the 27 day deadline is going to be missed because we weren't able to move fast enough - well....

[...]

What's coming is very cool - check, it will, if successful (!), drive and define the future of NS2 potentially for years to come - check. While it is perhaps 'smaller' than something like Reinforced or Gorgeous in 'amount of content' terms - check, it is 'bigger' in the sense that it has the potential to ensure that even as Unknown Worlds creates new games (Subnautica, who knows what else), Natural Selection 2 will continue to grow and thrive - check checkity check.

So, 'coming soon!' Short term, not Fall 2009, worth the wait, when it's done, etc, please don't shoot us! - *points with pistol menacingly*

That sounds plausible & pretty cool.

Guess we are back to the speculation thread then. :)
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Something else just struck me. This is still floating around, too, isn't it?
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2014
    How many missed deadlines does it take for UWE to realize that they never meet them and should stop announcing things ahead of time?

The world may never know.

EDIT: FordPrefect's guess sounds pretty reasonable... UWE must be feeling as though it's time for them to move on to new projects and based on my (limited) knowledge it sounds like SamusDroid has been doing most of the work behind the last couple updates already.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited March 2014
    I think I know what it is. Its not amazing but it's pretty good
  • SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members
    I just want Christmas snow and snowball fights and merriness back for next Christmas :D
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited March 2014
    A huge NS2 map/gamemode that recreates the epic push and pull of NS1!

I know it probably isn't that, but I wish it was.

Or maybe.... TASERS. lol jk
    Great discussion on content pricing with @flayra @max_mcguire @steverockan and @bjcummings today. Data driven decision making

I get the feeling this will be some sort of skins thing, along with... wel... I have no idea.

hrmmm, not sure if I am excited anymore...
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    I think it's going to be cosmetic microtransactions (remember the NS2WC armpatch experiment that was a success)