Where did all these jerks come from?

2»

Comments

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    TheRev709 wrote: »
    I've seen too many good bastions of maturity ruined by the infantile asshats who are emboldened by the anonymity of a username
    "Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
    -Oscar Wilde
  • KungFuJVKungFuJV Join Date: 2003-04-03 Member: 15167Members
    My biggest rage inducer is when players cant admit their own mistakes.

It's okay to be a noob, beginner, amateur. It's okay if you made a bad judgement call or did a strategy that failed.

It's when experienced players make these mistakes and immediately try to find someone else to blame. Either the comm blaming players, or players blaming comm. (Basing it off of games where the majority of players are regulars, donaters, and experienced)

That is when I rage and will argue to no end. Usually it just ends in frustration though, because to have that mindset in the first place means you aren't the most understanding of people.
  • RunkiRunki Helsingborg, Sweden Join Date: 2012-12-02 Member: 173929Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Whats wrong with being a bit competitive, if you're easily hurt by words you should probably stay off the internet all together.
  • Maxx11_v2.0Maxx11_v2.0 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172221Members
    Runki wrote: »
    Whats wrong with being a bit competitive, if you're easily hurt by words you should probably stay off the internet all together.

Just because you can handle it doesn't mean you have to like it.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Good thing there isn't a feeding mechanic in NS2 ey, RfK :P

Other than clogging up the spawn queue, I guess...
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited March 2014
    From the perspective of a better-than-average-player, there's a reason why they get even more angry at people who are in this game, as opposed to, say, Battlefield or <insert generic shooter here> - and it's the same reason why people in LOL or DOTA get so angry.

It's because in strategy games, bad players are particularly hated for a variety of reasons:

- everyone usually has a "role" in RTS, so if something fails, it inflicts punishment on you through no fault of your own - i.e. terrible air player in a RTS, causing you to lose the game (badly) even though you won "your" part of the game - the land battle. This can be seen in NS2 where good lerk players win the early game, but in the mid-to-late game the other team turns things around in the absence of good fades, gorges, and general teamwork.
    - in an RTS a bad player can "feed" the enemy team, causing "double damage" to their own team. First, the bad team doesn't have a good player, second, the enemy team gets an advantage (in resources, XP, whatever) directly from the bad player, giving them an advantage. There's probably no direct example of this in NS2, maybe the best example is starting an RT, knowing there are enemies in the room, and getting killed immediately after, so RT is lost on marine side.
    - in NS2 in particular, a bad player causes the enemy team to gain an advantage over you, again through no fault of your own - i.e. faster lifeforms/weapons, or faster upgrades.

In other games, even if it's TDM or objective-based, people on your team can be terrible, but that doesn't inflict punishment on you directly the same way it does in RTSs. I.e. in BF4, the enemy team doesn't get more powerful weapons when your teammates are bad, you all have the same weapons through the end of the round - so it's not really as big of a drag on you if your team is bad as it is in NS2.
  • TheRev709TheRev709 Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186330Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2014

competitive =/= being an ass hat
    it's called sportsmanship

HeatSurge wrote: »
    From the perspective of a better-than-average-player, there's a reason why they get even more angry at people who are in this game, as opposed to, say, Battlefield or <insert generic shooter here> - and it's the same reason why people in LOL or DOTA get so angry.

It's because in strategy games, bad players are particularly hated for a variety of reasons:

- everyone usually has a "role" in RTS, so if something fails, it inflicts punishment on you through no fault of your own - i.e. terrible air player in a RTS, causing you to lose the game (badly) even though you won "your" part of the game - the land battle. This can be seen in NS2 where good lerk players win the early game, but in the mid-to-late game the other team turns things around in the absence of good fades, gorges, and general teamwork.
    - in an RTS a bad player can "feed" the enemy team, causing "double damage" to their own team. First, the bad team doesn't have a good player, second, the enemy team gets an advantage (in resources, XP, whatever) directly from the bad player, giving them an advantage. There's probably no direct example of this in NS2, maybe the best example is starting an RT, knowing there are enemies in the room, and getting killed immediately after, so RT is lost on marine side.
    - in NS2 in particular, a bad player causes the enemy team to gain an advantage over you, again through no fault of your own - i.e. faster lifeforms/weapons, or faster upgrades.

In other games, even if it's TDM or objective-based, people on your team can be terrible, but that doesn't inflict punishment on you directly the same way it does in RTSs. I.e. in BF4, the enemy team doesn't get more powerful weapons when your teammates are bad, you all have the same weapons through the end of the round - so it's not really as big of a drag on you if your team is bad as it is in NS2.

I agree completely with what you said, but my point is how to deal with these players. I get frustrated all the same, but I don't handle it by being a crass loud mouth. Coaching can go a long way in alleviating the headache than being a douche.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    HeatSurge wrote: »

Not disagreeing with you here, but one more way a bad player can hurt is they clog up the spawn queue, so your better players can't be on the field as fast. I once played a game where the comm (he took the game more seriously than others I guess), actively said to 2 players who just can't aim, don't know how to position (and gets killed all the time outside spawn) to stay in base to defend because they were clogging up the spawn queue.
  • RunkiRunki Helsingborg, Sweden Join Date: 2012-12-02 Member: 173929Members, Reinforced - Shadow

Just because you dont like it doesn't mean you can stop people from doing it.
  • Maxx11_v2.0Maxx11_v2.0 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172221Members
    edited March 2014

Not entirely true, admins can set and enforce rules of conduct.

competitive =/= being an ass hat
    it's called sportsmanship

Pretty much.
    On a side note, was that disagree meant for my post or was it a missclick.
    Not a big deal but we seem to have a similar stance here (at least going by the quoted comment) so I'm a bit curious where it came from.
    edited March 2014

Not entirely true, admins can set and enforce rules of conduct.

True, but admins on unofficial servers can make up any rules they want, which is why they get such a bad rep.
  • TheRev709TheRev709 Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186330Members, Reinforced - Shadow

Being accepting and complacent with it doesn't help. There's a lot you an do, just speak up and don't be an asshole.

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Now to reinforce this point, I was showing my friend how to play the game. Complete nub, even to PC games in general (just build a new rig), and had them go through the tutorial then sat there as they logged onto a server to try and coach them through the game. So needless to say this person's a noob, name is in green, had them log onto a noob server (AI's NS2 SRV1 Houston:Texas)...and within just a few minutes they're being bitched, called a faggot, and basically bitched at until they wanted to quit. Lucky for them I bought him the game, but I doubt they really wanna play much anymore.

Now, luckily we have some gracious people vote kick the ass hats and remind everyone it is a noob server, but still. Frustrating first experience to say the least.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Now to reinforce this point, I was showing my friend how to play the game. Complete nub, even to PC games in general (just build a new rig), and had them go through the tutorial then sat there as they logged onto a server to try and coach them through the game. So needless to say this person's a noob, name is in green, had them log onto a noob server (AI's NS2 SRV1 Houston:Texas)...and within just a few minutes they're being bitched, called a faggot, and basically bitched at until they wanted to quit. Lucky for them I bought him the game, but I doubt they really wanna play much anymore.

Now, luckily we have some gracious people vote kick the ass hats and remind everyone it is a noob server, but still. Frustrating first experience to say the least.

Sucks, man, sorry to hear. To be fair, though, you know just as well as anybody that ns2 isn't a beginners FPS. If you're buddy is new to gaming in general, it's gonna be a steep hill for him to climb, so he should bare that in mind. I've had my brother in-law and my best friend both purchase ns2 w/in the past year, and neither played more than about an hour because they're just not FPS players and got utterly destroyed.
    I understand, but she did better than you'd expect. Kept an even K/D ratio but I had her running Gorge half the time and coaching over their shoulder. She had trouble, sure, but nothing to deserve being treated like she did on the console games she left behind.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    One day, hopefully, they will mature. A lot of us were, to some degree, like that in our early days/teen years of gaming. A lot of it, what I think has to do with it, is the introduction of services of the likes of XBOX live and PS network, in where online gaming was brought to the masses of younger people who otherwise wouldn't have had access to online gaming like we enjoyed with PC's in the earlier years of the 2000's and the late 1990's. With it, it brought a wave of younger people who would be cheeky and insulting to older/mature people because they could, and because of there immaturity in general. I don't see this as a problem that is just going to go away, if not get worse, unless there is a proper system to regulate the age of people playing games which are categorised as too old for them. I don't think there will ever be something of such a system. But games like COD (not hating on call of duty, just using it as a reference) are a good thing as it generally keeps a lot of younger/immature and unsporty people there. That being said though, There will always, to some degree, these tipeof people in all games, it is inevitable in that even if a game starts out not like that, eventually they will be there.
  • CidcaldensfeyCidcaldensfey Chicago Join Date: 2014-02-10 Member: 193924Members
    edited March 2014
    I was going to make a huge post but really it comes down to this: the ingame community kind of sucks and the game is too hard for a lot of people. Not only that but the game is excessively frustrating because if you don't successfully control the map for the first few minutes of the match, the game is pretty much over at that point.

There are just too many factors which makes a match turn one-sided. If one team has the advantange, the advantage is an exponential advantage...and it makes it extremely difficult, if not impossible, for the other team to catch up. Most matches can be declared win/loss in the first few minutes and it's only due to commander/team error if a win is resolved from an otherwise lossed match (ie: comm not using beacon fast enough during a gorge rush).

Really, this game is fun only because you sometimes get to be on the team that is mercilessly digging into another team. That is really it. But the two factors I pointed out pretty much make an asshole out of anyone. I'm usually pretty calm and easygoing, but NS2 just pisses me off sometimes and it's not even because of the losing, the game is just that frustrating. And it's not like I'm that bad either, I've gone 50/3-4 plenty of times as either marine or alien, but I don't know...I just know I'm starting to become an asshole too and I don't like it, so I think I'm done.

A game should make you feel good and be entertaining, not leave you feeling bitter and antagonstic.