DX and OpenGL getting low level access: Spark upgrades?

Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
I know CPU performance (and in NS2s case anything helps given lua's single threaded nature) is a big issue among NS2 fans.
I thought it would be cool to cross post here given the potential speed up this could give NS2 were it to come to fruitition. Any more CPU time spent on crunching that lua code is welcome. Also, this should quiet ideas that mantle is necessary for NS2 (a premiss which was already missing thee point).
Just saw this while browsing the GDC catalogue (with help from GAF's KKRT PBUH). Two microsoft DX team hosted sessions:

1.Direct3D Futures
Come learn how future changes to Direct3D will enable next generation games to run faster than ever before!

In this session we will discuss future improvements in Direct3D that will allow developers an unprecedented level of hardware control and reduced CPU rendering overhead across a broad ecosystem of hardware.

If you use cutting-edge 3D graphics in your games, middleware, or engines and want to efficiently build rich and immersive visuals, you don't want to miss this talk.

2.Evolving Microsoft's Graphics Platform
For nearly 20 years, DirectX has been the platform used by game developers to create the fastest, most visually impressive games on the planet.

However, you asked us to do more. You asked us to bring you even closer to the metal and to do so on an unparalleled assortment of hardware. You also asked us for better tools so that you can squeeze every last drop of performance out of your PC, tablet, phone and console.

Come learn our plans to deliver.

Microsoft caught wind of changing tides in Open GL and Mantle and decided to change? Only time will tell.

Also Open GL is a-changin'

1. Approaching Zero Driver Overhead in OpenGL
Driver overhead has been a frustrating reality for game developers for the entire life of the PC game industry. On desktop systems, driver overhead can decrease frame rate, while on mobile devices driver overhead is more insidious--robbing both battery life and frame rate. In this unprecedented sponsored session, Graham Sellers (AMD), Tim Foley (Intel), Cass Everitt (NVIDIA) and John McDonald (NVIDIA) will present high-level concepts available in today's OpenGL implementations that radically reduce driver overhead--by up to 10x or more. The techniques presented will apply to all major vendors and are suitable for use across multiple platforms. Additionally, they will demonstrate practical demos of the techniques in action in an extensible, open source comparison framework.

Multi-vendor cooperation? WHAT IS THIS?!

edit:
riflen wrote: »
This is the Khronos Group.

Comments

• LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Well whatever it is, i hope microsoft doesn't muck up opengl for personal gain.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I was honestly hoping this would happen. I am not the most optimistic for mantles success itself, but I was hoping it would make big slow Microsoft basically incorporate mantle into directx.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    So in short they'll release new versions of directx/opengl/some driver stuff and then force you to move over to a newer gpu/cpu even though it can probably run on your current hardware - maybe even bang out an only available on a new version of windows?

Or do I not know what I'm saying