Ultimate server browser (Updated March-1-14)

SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
edited March 2014 in Modding
I've created the ultimate server browser for NS2.
Features:
Filter Passworded (Unfiltered, no password, password only)
Filter Full (Unfiltered, semi-full filtered (yellow filtered out), all full filtered (red and yellow filtered out))
Filter Passworded (Unfiltered, non rookie, rookie only)
Invert skill bar option (either minimum or maximum skill)
Filter minimum players on server
Filter maximum player slots
Filter minimum free slots
Sortable round times (will only work if server is running this mod)
Added server status to details window. Currently has "Loading"(cycling map), "Pre-game", "Not started", "Game in progress", "Map vote in progress".
LexnymB.jpg

TODO: Polish, implement into next patch hopefully, at least round time at the very least.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=230409135&searchtext=

Comments

• HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2014
    The max slot filter doesn't seem to filter out servers with more than X slots... or I'm just not understanding how it's supposed to work.
    I set the slider to 14, but there were plenty of 18 and 20 slot servers left.
    Huh?gsbr.jpg

Also: Server browser tends to "forget" my settings after disconnecting from a server and re-opening the browser.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    I have always wondered why devs never did this. Good job!
  • simple_simple_ Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188102Members
    Looks great from the screenshot! I usually like to play on servers under 20 slots so this could be real useful.
    Are you planning on releasing it on the steam workshop? Much more convenient that way
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    It's already on the workshop
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Are you ready for this? I don't think you are, so double check.
    Server performance is now an average over the last 2 minutes(only will show for servers running this mod. You can now also sort by whitelisted hive servers in the server filter tabs.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    "Server performance is now an average over the last 2 minutes"

Finally something like that is available. But, 2 min are way to short.
    Average of the last 30 min would be the key to find the real bad servers.
    And if you join a server with bad performance a warning @ join should inform the player that he playing on an suboptimal level.

Something like this had to be implemented BEFORE all the free weekends and steamsales.
    Now its a bit late, but its nice to have it finally.
    Nicely done. Slot filtering now works.
    The server browser still "forgets" my settings after I've closed it though. Especially with all these new options it becomes tedious always having to re-select them again.
    It doesn't forget them it just changes back to what they are in vanilla anytime you join a server. I'm trying to fix this but it will take a day or two.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    For whatever reason, the server browser comes up blank even though all the filters are off.
    That's the point. Max slots needs to not be 0...
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    SamusDroid wrote: »

Not sure why that should be default, but I guess I wasn't thinking.

It's not, it is 50 by default but if you ran it before I update it when the default was 0 and I fixed it, then you will be at 0.

It's not, it is 50 by default but if you ran it before I update it when the default was 0 and I fixed it, then you will be at 0.

Well after getting over my hurdle of moving a slider to the right, I can say that the server menu works great and I am ecstatic to be able to find hive whitelisted servers. Great job and hopefully it gets into a future update.

Apparently I broke my own mod without realizing it. I fixed it.
    Using latest version.
    After coming back from a game into the server browser, it "remembers" the empty and full filters, but not the password filter.
  • ComputronComputron Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185665Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    When I first update the server list on game launch and it gets the pings, all of the pings are incredibly high. Right-clicking on them to show server details will immediately show a much more accurate, and more importantly, much lower ping for most of the servers. This happens with or without your mod. It makes filtering by MAX PING completely useless since all of the servers show up in the unplayable high, 100-200ms range, unless I update each one individually.. .

Since I can get a much more accurate reading by right clicking a bunch of the servers through the list, there has got to be a way to do this with code. Could this mod either fix this issue or add a feature to check pings multiple times per server and average out the results?

Could you also add the option to default to sorting by ping, low to high?
    Pings are an average.