NS2WC Was Great!

ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
Great matches, gg to everyone you all played excellent

Good job to red dog/wasabi/hugh/uwe team/everyone who started the event

I had my doubts originally when the thing was firstly announced but it was great to see the whole thing even if I missed it live, it was a great event and I hope this game can 'cyst' in some more events

Comments

• It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    I didn't donate to the WC because I too had doubts surrounding it, but it was really a major success. I would definitely donate to another one in the future

Mission Accomplished everyone, now go get some R&R!
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    I was broke during the donation process, unfortunely. Should an event like this happen again, screw it I'll sell a kid to donate. Lol
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    where will there be VODs? I was unable to watch live.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited February 2014
    Yeah just look at ns2's past broadcasts. Itll be there.
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2014
    @ezekel
    I largely agree with you.
    Having 3 commentators and rotating them every 2 matches was a genius idea. Whoever came up with that one ->*pat on the back*
    It allowed the commentators to take a little break and come back refreshed while providing the watchers with variety.

The games themselves were nice, too. Not one, but two very close setups. I gotta admit: Last tournament I switched off the stream after the 2nd round of Archea winning hands-down, but this time I stayed glued to the chair.

My commander of the year nomination goes to Virsoul, who was clearly the best of 'em all.
    Each time Titus were aliens, they'd lose quickly to the Snails, but when it was their turn playing marines, they'd pull off a hard earned working victory to the point where the Snails forgot to rebuild their RTs. I especially remember that "pull-out" beacon in Nano. Just great.

I also enjoyed those little team profiles and pre-game interviews you did. I'd like to have seen more of them.
    Especially that team photo with all the names and flags on it. You could maybe extend that and introduce each player separately by showing their individual strengths.

Yes, I get it that Intel and Nvidia contributed big time and therefore wanted to be shown in a positive light, shoving out some extra advertising for SSDs and that god-awful PhysX. That's something I could live with - if it wasn't for them there would've been no NS2WC. And you managed to wrap it up in the NS2 art contest, so it had some connection to the game.

[BIG surprise though that UWE apparently didn't use SSDs before in their office... are you kidding me?]

Speaking of art contest: This was the only thing I didn't like. The "social media expert".
    All her comments made it painfully clear that she had never played NS2 and wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole... [IDK, when was the last tournament? April 2013? She was already on the last one and that's plenty of time to do some "homework" by playing NS2...]
    When she commented on the picture showing a marine sitting in a saddle and riding an Onos it became quite clear that she'd be much more useful on a horse (race) show...
    Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with liking horses better than NS2. But if someone doesn't give a crap about NS2 - why invite that person to be a NS2 game show host again?

Suggestion: This year's winner of the art contest or a randomly elected group of judges from the studio crowd would do a vastly superior job, because they would "get" the insider jokes, pick up on them and therefore provide a much better commentary and art judging.

Pretty much what I said last year:
    Hamlet wrote: »
    Then there is this strange "social media expert"... what is her connection with NS2? Does she even care about the game? I mean: at all? Or is she just there to hold up the prizes? [...] Why not invite [a NS2 fan]? Someone who genuinely CARES and LIKES this game. [...] They probably wouldn't be that photogenic, but authentic love for something easily makes up for sterile, uninvolved beauty.

[...]

Just show us some genuine interaction with the crowd. And true to form, turn the microphone to the audience so they can sing with you.
    [...] just ask the audience how they first picked up NS2, what they like about it and why this game feels so precious to them.

All in all, I watched the whole thing.
    It was very well made, I could see that a lot of thought and planning had gone into the event.
    I'd rate it 1.75 thumbs up!
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
  • SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members
    edited February 2014
    Yeah there was definitely some very good NS2 play from all the teams. It was a good show/production overall, despite the annoying stream interruptions which seemed to happen at the most action-packed points!

Anyway must congratulate all the teams for getting to the last four, thank them for some awesome high-level NS2 gaming, and of course "gg" to the Snails for their win.

Finally we get to put some faces to the names we see stomping the pub servers from time-to-time!

:D
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    any chance they will get put up on youtube? Twitch doesn't work where I'm am.
  • oreo112oreo112 Join Date: 2013-07-14 Member: 186095Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I thought the event was fantastic. The games were great and I know I learned a lot just watching them. Also I though the pace was pretty good. I certainly didn't feel like I sat there for six hours or so. That said, We NS2 players sure are an awkward bunch, lol.

One other little gripe I have though is about the maps. If Jambi is played in the World Cup, why isn't it an official map? Just seems absurd that some official maps are seemingly unacceptable for comp play, but unofficial maps are? I know comp has certain needs, and I get that, but if a map is going to be an option at the highest level, it should at least be official at the lowest.

Also should add Kodiak to. That map is f'kn awesome.
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    All of my doubts were put away as soon as I turned it on. The attention to detail, the players, the plays, the games, the announcements, the segmentation and interviews were all ace.

I am so proud of everyone involved. Thanks!
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    It was a brilliant day out. Everything came together perfectly, all the organizers deserve a pat on the back for pulling this one off. Roll on next year!
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    any chance they will get put up on youtube? Twitch doesn't work where I'm am

Would love to have the first round between Titus and Snails on youtube, that was the best game of the entire tournament (although all were good).
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I say well done teams. It was very nice to watch.
    Also well done crew/casters.

I had doubts & issues with many aspects in the early phases of the tournament but it seems to have ended well. Im also up for donating next time, if possible.
    Im still glad I donated this time. :)

I have faith some of the early issues wont be there next time. :D

So once again to all, well done.
  • bonagebonage Join Date: 2012-10-13 Member: 162230Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    oreo112 wrote: »
    One other little gripe I have though is about the maps. If Jambi is played in the World Cup, why isn't it an official map? Just seems absurd that some official maps are seemingly unacceptable for comp play, but unofficial maps are? I know comp has certain needs, and I get that, but if a map is going to be an option at the highest level, it should at least be official at the lowest.

This wasn't an official UWE run event, it was a community run event with the help of UWE. Hence it makes perfect sense that a community event will use community maps that are not official. Why does it need to be official to be considered acceptable to be played/ good?

Also kodiak needs a lot of work before it can be played competitively. Caged is more likely to be the contentder for 2nd best competitive non-official map at the moment.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2014
    The only reason Jambi isn't an official map is because it isn't up to par visually so UWE won't greenlight it. Gameplay wise it is perfectly viable for competitive play
  • CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
    edited February 2014
    I realy enjoy watching NS2WC! even my friends who wasn't into NS watched it. Only thing missing was name tags ;p doring interviews (small detail).
    Wb8xSxH.jpg
    bpF84LN.jpg?1
    hayKFRY.jpg?1
    8BF768c.jpg?1
  • Maxx11_v2.0Maxx11_v2.0 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172221Members
    I have to admit, they did a great job.
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited February 2014
    bonage wrote: »
    oreo112 wrote: »

This wasn't an official UWE run event, it was a community run event with the help of UWE. Hence it makes perfect sense that a community event will use community maps that are not official. Why does it need to be official to be considered acceptable to be played/ good?

Also kodiak needs a lot of work before it can be played competitively. Caged is more likely to be the contentder for 2nd best competitive non-official map at the moment.

@bonage Feedback please so I can make this happen :P
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
  • er4qerer4qer Denmark Join Date: 2013-10-31 Member: 188911Members, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Me and a friend watched all the games on a huge tv. Was a entertaining and amazing event! Hope we can see more of this =)
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Not reading the comments as I am still watching through it (bit by bit!). Based on what I have seen so far, it is incredibly well produced: professional format, high pace and lots of interesting insight from the really top notch commentary team. It's also obvious that a lot of work has gone in behind the scenes, so a huge thank you not only to the people front-of-house who put on a fantastic show, but also everyone working to support them.

I am very proud to have supported it (twice!), and wouldn't hesitate to support another such event. UWE even managed to get a good number of the 'things to fix before the WC' done - with limited staff - which has really helped to make it a superb finals event.

Now plz open up onos tier donations again, I'm still sore I missed out first time!

(I know I give you guys a hard time over the alien vision, but I still love the game and I still think you're probably the best game development company out there <3 )

Roo
  • oreo112oreo112 Join Date: 2013-07-14 Member: 186095Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    bonage wrote: »

I guess that's fair to say about the community involvement, but at the same time to an outside observer, (like a new player who doesn't know better) NS2WC was pretty "official". But that's not what I'm talking about.

I wish Jambi would just be available in the regular rotation. Not strictly for competitive play, but available for regular pubbers like me, especially as Jambi represented NS2 on probably it's biggest event ever. I think there are only a handful of active NA servers that have Jambi as an option.

The only reason Jambi isn't an official map is because it isn't up to par visually so UWE won't greenlight it. Gameplay wise it is perfectly viable for competitive play

If the only reason Jambi is out is because it's ugly, then NS2 will run out of players pretty quick. :p
  • b1.seb1.se Stockholm, Sweden Join Date: 2012-09-17 Member: 159734Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Lets start the donation for next year soon yes? :D