Subnautica Terrain Test Released! - Subnautica

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond

imageSubnautica Terrain Test Released! - Subnautica

After lots of hard work by Steve and the rest of the Subnautica team, we are proud to release our first ‘playable’ piece of Subnautica content! ‘Playable’ is not quite the right word, as the Subnautica Terrain Test is a tool. It is a tool that allows you to use the technology we are developing for Subnautica to generate your own procedural underwater terrain. Get it on the Steam Store now! We are going to be developing this tool as a test platform for our terrain generation technology. We hope that you will use it to create your own brilliant underwater terrain – No doubt many of you are much better than us at imagining stunning unknown worlds.…

Read the full story here

Comments

• HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Bump for comment thread!
  • douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    pretty neat, I played around on it for a bit. generates some pretty sweet stuff.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Was interesting to play with. I just played with the default. I ran it on good quality @1080p. It did not run nicely. I have a range of machines here from a 4.8ghz 2500k down to a 2.7ghz celeron. If you could be more specific in what you need for performance information I would love to help.
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I did generate some stuff but I actually got a hard system crash running it (a very rare event). Performance was incredibly high. Capped 120fps constantly with no dips. Only 30% GPU utilization on 1 of my GPUs.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited February 2014
    It looks like you wanted to link some videos at the end but forgot it :)

I'd add "for free" to "Get it on the Steam Store now!" because I first thought you want to sell me something...
    I'm going to try it out later!

edit: Flayra and Hugh are shamelessly giving Terrain Test positive reviews in steam :D
  • OhnojojoOhnojojo Join Date: 2011-08-01 Member: 113400Members
    Great! Going to download it soon and test it out.
    On a side note, what's up with that creature at the end of the video?
    Phallic body shape, vagina-like mouth parts.
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    james888 wrote: »
    Was interesting to play with. I just played with the default. I ran it on good quality @1080p. It did not run nicely. I have a range of machines here from a 4.8ghz 2500k down to a 2.7ghz celeron. If you could be more specific in what you need for performance information I would love to help.

Stay tuned, I'll update it sometime soon to report more performance info. Then the most helpful thing would be to run it a bunch :)
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    This makes me bweeeh with joy
  • 0ni0ni Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156991Members
    Will you be making this for Linux as well?
    Will you be integrating the steam controller?
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    0ni wrote: »
    Will you be making this for Linux as well?
    Will you be integrating the steam controller?

yes to both eventually, but not anytime soon.
    @SteveRock
    That's nice to hear but not super comforting either. For me "soon" makes me think of fall 2009. :p
    I only tease because of how long it took you to get ns2 into linux beta. Still hoping that it becomes playable someday.

How about this then:
    Will you be focusing on openGL from the get go so that you have less trouble porting down the road?
    Also have you seen the openGL, SDL, and Linux porting talks from steam dev days?
    http://www.steamdevdays.com/

I hope you do port to Linux sooner rather then later and I'd love to help test. As is though I've been unable to get it working in wine.
    Oh yeah, also this: http://www.blockscape.com/v2/
    Spend the $13 and check that guys game out.
    All built by one dude from Sweden. Maybe someone to get a hold of to pick his brain a bit. The render distances he's been able to get out of PG terrain is surreal.
    It's going up on Steam Early Access and then he'll be hiring people to help him to complete it so if you want to ask him some tips about what he's learned I'd recommend sooner rather then later.

Also bitch at him about Linux for me if you do decide to contact him. <3
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    SteveRock wrote: »
    Stay tuned, I'll update it sometime soon to report more performance info. Then the most helpful thing would be to run it a bunch :)
    So I don't have to do anything but play with it and you will pull what you need? That sounds easy. When you let us know I will play it a bit on every machine I can.
    SteveRock wrote: »
    So I don't have to do anything but play with it and you will pull what you need? That sounds easy. When you let us know I will play it a bit on every machine I can.

Yep, it's the best way to get this kind of data I think. Thanks for the help!
    Oh yeah, also this: http://www.blockscape.com/v2/
    Spend the $13 and check that guys game out.
    All built by one dude from Sweden. Maybe someone to get a hold of to pick his brain a bit. The render distances he's been able to get out of PG terrain is surreal.
    It's going up on Steam Early Access and then he'll be hiring people to help him to complete it so if you want to ask him some tips about what he's learned I'd recommend sooner rather then later.

Also bitch at him about Linux for me if you do decide to contact him. <3

Wow that is quite the amazing. I'll definitely contact him - that draw distance is out of this world. I've got a few ideas for our (currently terrible) draw distance, but more ideas are always welcome.

As for linux, honestly it's a pretty low priority right now. But since we're using Unity, I hope it'll be easy. We actually have it running in Linux already, but there are some major bugs, so I didn't want to release it. When we will address those bugs, I have to say will probably be after we release the actual game.
  • joohoo_n3djoohoo_n3d Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164703Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    very cool, cant wait to see that lil leech like creature with a SSS shader instead of hl looking luminance maps
    ;)
  • mcfersonmcferson France Join Date: 2014-02-20 Member: 194181Members
    edited February 2014
    the way to find it on steam is awful.
    @SteveRock
    Here's another one I just happened upon that's worth a peek.
    He's straight up licensing his work too. May be worth considering it since it's so far along.
    http://voxelfarm.com/vfweb/index.html
    @SteveRock
    Here's another one I just happened upon that's worth a peek.
    He's straight up licensing his work too. May be worth considering it since it's so far along.
    http://voxelfarm.com/vfweb/index.html

Yeah I've been in contact with Miguel for a bit now. Definitely one of our top choices to consider. Lack of "out of the box" Unity support is a draw back, and I'm still waiting on a demo that's comparable to our use case, but we'll see.
    Well for what it's worth I hope it's the one you pick.

Just gonna put my cards on the table here... it's openGL. :p