Aim Improvement Strategies- Coach Bitey (A copypaste from another location)

BiteyBitey Join Date: 2012-05-06 Member: 151622Members, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
So I did a very detailed writeup on how the skill known as aim is actually defined and composed. My last big coaching video was very well received over here in the veteran section, so I figure I'd like to also share it with the more general audience of Ns2. While I'm not actually inside of NS2 while I teach this lesson, these things are much more general in nature and can be utilized in every FPS game.

Without further delay, this is a detailed post I decided to write up in a separate forum which breaks down all aspects of aiming. The video showcases the different techniques, methods, and drills you can utilize to try to maximize your learning potential. Enjoy and please leave feedback and also I still play ns2 but only 6v6 high level action <3
http://www.twitch.tv/bitey/c/3720070

Writeup Summary:

There are essentially four main branches of the skill of "Aim" in FPS video games. While there are some tactics and tricks you can utilize to bolster your ability to aim well. Most people will utilize one of these root forms of shooting:

Twitch- The ability to flick onto a target and fire a round accurately. (Point and click)

Tracking- The ability to track a target directly via mouse/controller inputs by attempting to fixate only on following the object. (Tracing/Locking on/Following Click and drag shooting)

Strafing- The ability to utilize the WASD/Directional keys to counter-act movement displayed by an object. (A or D movement to key a target centered in the crosshair with little or no mousemovement)

Prediction- The ability to anticipate an objects projected path through space and create an intercept course. (Direct hit rockets, prefire/preaiming)

Typical all forms of aim synergies with one another, so if you're going to create a worthy goal for yourself be sure to take the time and master each root form. Twitch-Strafe aiming has spectacular uses and can be showcased in many games like CSS-CoD where reaction and speed mean everything. Tracking/prediction can be witnessed in Quake/Unreal style games where high speed and movement can be crucial. Those master the root forms will typically be rewarded in the long term with great success.

With all of this knowledge in mind there are still crucial things to remember. An important note is that some mouse sensitivities lend themselves to one form or another, in my particular case of ultra-low sens I'm more skilled at tracking then twitching due to the distance I need for a 360. An experienced high sensitivity user can typically do more extravagant Flick(twitch) and Prediction(Rockets) shots that I may struggle to achieve, and the conversely their ability to track may seem lacking when compared to my own.

This knowledge while occasionally true is never a stone faced fact. There are examples of exceptional players in many games who use the Ultra-low and Ultra-high sensitives to perform. So please remember that just because someone uses a particular setup, doesn't mean that you have to mimic their actual configuration. When you learn from someone, always try to incorporate it into your own individual playstyle and help yourself grow into diverse gamer.

Also because I need to keep a little things centralized on Ns2, Enjoy Commander Wob of iM trying to be Jaivol :D

twitch.tv/bitey/c/3720050

Comments

• king_yoking_yo Join Date: 2009-04-15 Member: 67192Members, WC 2013 - Shadow
    There are exceptions but I consider strafing to just be a way to achieve tracking, not a way to aim on it's own.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    king_yo wrote: »
    There are exceptions but I consider strafing to just be a way to achieve tracking, not a way to aim on it's own.

Actually in a lot of games people use strafing to aim rather than moving their mouse -- such as counter-strike you'd leave your crosshair at an angle where you know the 'headshot' is and strafe behind a wall, then you'd strafe out and just fire immediately rather than aim because you're already setup for the headshot