Commentaries on a pub game

Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
Hi all

I have seen alot of NS2 vids and streams (youtube, twitch), and thought there is one type of videos that I don't seem to see much or any of. The commentaries on a pub game. ItsSuperEffective, Hugh, and others broadcast games, either playing as a marine or alien (grunt and Commander), but this will only give the perspective on one side. I would like a commentated game like RedDog does, but in a pub. I am not thinking of doing a strategic analysis (there aren't many in pubs), but more of a "typical thinking" behind decisions and have it as an introduction to new players (I know the sales are done and dusted, and number are settling down again). But with the NS2WC coming, it might be a nice way to let new players doing pubs know why the pub comm, and other pub players do what they do. eg. most marine games I comm, (8v8 or more), the first 20 seconds, 4 guys are in base building the ip and armory I drop (as a commentator, you can discourage newbies to NOT do that). I know it is probably in a Noobie guide, but something more visual would be nice.

What do you guys think? I would love to do something like that, but I don't think NS2 has a demo system to record games (or does it?). Also, I thought about taking a game recorded by ISE, and voice over that, but realised I need to spec or you will only get the perspective of one side only. Time and expertise would be an issue for me in this regard,

Comments

• SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited February 2014
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    You know as funny as that is, it distresses me every time 3-4 people buy grenade launchers, run into a hive room and TOTALY IGNORE THE HIVE.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    AurOn2 wrote: »
    You know as funny as that is, it distresses me every time 3-4 people buy grenade launchers, run into a hive room and TOTALY IGNORE THE HIVE.

What did you expect? Since when has there ever been logic in video games?
  • OscarTheCouchOscarTheCouch Join Date: 2005-01-10 Member: 34647Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2014
    Tactical Gamer has lots of commentated videos of our Captains Matches, which is pretty much jsut organized pub play. http://www.tacticalgamer.com/natural-selection-general-discussion/194726-tg-captains-match-videos.html . Check it out its fun to watch. Every friday we host and post these matches.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Tactical Gamer has lots of commentated videos of our Captains Matches, which is pretty much jsut organized pub play. http://www.tacticalgamer.com/natural-selection-general-discussion/194726-tg-captains-match-videos.html . Check it out its fun to watch. Every friday we host and post these matches.

But Oscar, I heard that only people who want to have fun should go to Tactical Gamer!? Are you suggesting we want to have fun?
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    Its impossible to commentate a pub game cause ....

... people going to kick every spectator after 2 min.
  • OscarTheCouchOscarTheCouch Join Date: 2005-01-10 Member: 34647Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2014
    dePARA wrote: »
    Its impossible to commentate a pub game cause ....

... people going to kick every spectator after 2 min.

TG allows up to 8 spectators during full 8v8 games. Also using the spectator tools you can focus on either teams chat, both teams or none and do your own recording and commentating. And yes BeigeAlert enter at own risk. You will have fun.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow

Thanks OscarTheCouch. That would be the sort of thing I am looking for. I will watch them. Thanks to everyone who replied (esp. BeigeAlert for the funny comments).
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow

soooo, what time on fridays :D
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Benson wrote: »

soooo, what time on fridays :D

Subject to change, but USUALLY, 7pm CST.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    I might have to watch one or two of these. lol. The few times I actually participated, the games were actually pretty fun.
  • Maxx11_v2.0Maxx11_v2.0 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172221Members
    Are any of these servers in Europe? I might give casting some of these games a go since I dont need amazing ping for that but it might be fun to participate if it turns out to be below 100.
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    I did some spectate commentary on the Rookie Servers, things get hilarious there, but it isn't always that popular, as people would rather see me play.
    edited February 2014
    Are any of these servers in Europe? I might give casting some of these games a go since I dont need amazing ping for that but it might be fun to participate if it turns out to be below 100.
    Both servers are located in Chicago, Illinois.
    I did some spectate commentary on the Rookie Servers, things get hilarious there, but it isn't always that popular, as people would rather see me play.
    And the winner of this year's modesty award goes to...
  • DarkScytheDarkScythe Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156876Members
    I don't normally try and advertise myself, but for those who wish to watch these, I recommend looking at the TG forum thread linked earlier:
    http://www.tacticalgamer.com/natural-selection-general-discussion/194726-tg-captains-match-videos.html
    While it's usually not updated as rapidly as a direct feed from my Twitch page, it is far more organized in its presentation - I try to tag each video that goes up (and contributed by more people than just me) as either a Cast, a regular overhead-spectate stream, a POV recording, or perhaps a recording from the Comm's perspective. However, they are all of various Captain's games that have happened on the TGNS servers. I also try my best to keep the thread OP updated with the list of videos.

Otherwise, my Twitch page works just as well, but you may find completely random, non-NS2 related stuff on there from time to time.

Just as a heads-up for anyone wanting to subscribe and/or watch this week, though: I will be out of town for the weekend, and thus will be unable to stream this Friday's games if they occur. Fear not, though, as these matches are regularly scheduled for every Friday, and I will be back next week. The games are set to begin at around 8pm Eastern, though I normally only get back to my PC to stream them closer to 8:30-9pm Eastern.