jumping delay

NS-SoldierNS-Soldier Join Date: 2013-01-16 Member: 179856Members
edited February 2014 in Ideas and Suggestions
there should be a delay or "energy" to each time jump is pressed, this should apply to both marine and alien.

below are marines complaining about this...

Comments

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2014
    Not with how fast paced this game is. Heck no. This would be literately be built in input lag. Input lag is bad. This comes from primarily an alien player. If you really feel this is a good idea you are going to have to support it better with some sort of rational. Your little "below are marines complaining..." is childish and wrong.

edit: I think I had this pegged wrong. I fell for the troll bait.
  • NS-SoldierNS-Soldier Join Date: 2013-01-16 Member: 179856Members
    i'm just tired of seeing marines constantly pressing jump when skulks are attacking them
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    NS-Soldier wrote: »
    i'm just tired of seeing marines constantly pressing jump when skulks are attacking them

But that's the whole point.
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    below are marines complaining about this...

People play both aliens and marines. Nobody wants OP mechanics for marines (or aliens for that matter), because they have to deal with that imbalance when they are on the alien team (and even on the marine team - stomping isn't fun).

There is already an effective jump "energy" preventing players from spamming jump, so there's no reason for this thread or your identical thread in GD. If you'd proposed that the already existing anti-jump-spam mechanic be tinkered with or reworked then that might attract more serious responses. Unfortunately these type of threads seem to be started on the premise marines can constantly jump without being impeded in some way - which is false.

A 'delay' would be obnoxiously restrictive when an energy mechanic already exists as a less obstructive means of mitigating jump-spam. Unless you're talking about a delay before you can jump at full strength again (as opposed to jump at all), in which case, this already exists as part of the energy mechanic (there already is an effective cooldown between full strength jumps).
  • inveigleinveigle Join Date: 2004-01-07 Member: 25117Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    SamusDroid wrote: »

Unfortunately in it's current state, that ability and rational is the problem.
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited February 2014
    You have to learn to time it right. Holding down A/D while spamming the space bar will actually slow you down. Learning the proper timing between strafing and jumping is the key.

Take a look at this video by ISE. Go to 4:46. It explains it in greater detail.
  • RejZoRRejZoR Slovenia Join Date: 2013-09-24 Member: 188450Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    SamusDroid wrote: »

No, that's not the whole point. Have you ever seen a bunch of marines and skulks cluttered together, everyone jumping and trying to attack? There is no skill involved, just luck and hope you'll make a random kill in that mess. Been there, seen that and i think it's stupid. It looked totally moronic. Whole point is that marines should be deadly at range and weak up close where skulks have the opposite ability. Yet i can only sense that when i'm attacking some rookie (on both sides). When 2 skilled players fight each other it turns into one big F mess of jumping. Marine randomly trying to evade and skulk randomly trying to attack. The skill is pretty much irrelevant, because pure luck decides who will win when the game decides one made enough lucky blows. I'd understand it if the game was totally unique and nothing ever to be seen, but i've seen and played AvP and if they could work it out properly, so could UWE. But they apparently just don't give a toss.
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    @RejZoR

You are completely wrong, as all of the baddie marines thinking they know how jumping works and spamming the space bar in a fight have shown me by being the easiest kills possible when they actually slow down and screw up their own aim by doing the jumping wrong. See the millions and millions of threads with millions and millions of competent players saying the same thing over and over again; spamming jump gets you nowhere, it's situational and requires skill and experience to pull off.
  • nezznezz Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174712Members
    Spamming jump is making you a free kill both aliens and marines in close quarter combat. Watch pro players they jump far less and there precision jumps. Not just rolling your face on your keyboard
  • RejZoRRejZoR Slovenia Join Date: 2013-09-24 Member: 188450Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Therius wrote: »
    @RejZoR

You are completely wrong, as all of the baddie marines thinking they know how jumping works and spamming the space bar in a fight have shown me by being the easiest kills possible when they actually slow down and screw up their own aim by doing the jumping wrong. See the millions and millions of threads with millions and millions of competent players saying the same thing over and over again; spamming jump gets you nowhere, it's situational and requires skill and experience to pull off.

I'm not talking about backward jump, i'm talking about side jump which throws aliens off the aim so badly it's hilarious. Being on both sides, i know how it looks like from one or another side. It's much easier to side jump away, where alien with its idiotic FOV loses the track and range and that's where the guns come in. Even if you miss them at range with rifle for whatever reason, you can always draw a gun and shoot them in the face before they can even get into the biting range. Yes, perfecting this takes some time, but it's way easier than perfecting skulk strikes.
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    RejZoR wrote: »
    When 2 skilled players fight each other it turns into one big F mess of jumping. Marine randomly trying to evade and skulk randomly trying to attack.
    I will assume your definition of "skilled" applies to competitive players. To which I will respond, LOL.

Therius is right. You are completely wrong.
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Strafejumping does not make the marine faster than a skulk, and as such the marine only gains an advantage if

a) the skulk has lost its momentum for one reason or another (which is always the skulk's fault as it's entirely possible to maintain a momentum and speed greater than the marine during an engagement) and the marine uses strafejumping to create distance
    b) the marine jumps in a direction the skulk fails to anticipate, at which point the skulk got juked, i.e. outplayed, i.e. outskilled, i.e. l2p

If neither a) or b) is the case, jumping as a marine is actually detrimental to the marine, as it slows them down and makes them incapable of choosing their movement direction for the duration of their jump. Unless of course the skulk is literally so bad that they lose track of the marine if they are a feet off the ground, which I cannot sympathise with.
  • Maxx11_v2.0Maxx11_v2.0 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172221Members
    there should be a delay or "energy" to each time jump is pressed, this should apply to both marine and alien.

So, a cooldown on skulk jumping. Im going to take a wild guess here...Its just a hunch but... you're new to the game?