Location Names

NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
I'm interested in making a mod so that the location names don't show up on the minimap. After so long of playing the game, knowing the map and location names becomes second nature. I have an idea of what file needs to be changed but my knowledge of LUA is non-existent. Could anyone help?

Comments

• McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    This is untested, but...
    //GUIMinimap.lua
    //Add just after line 263
    item:SetIsVisible( false )

As with all GUI modifications, you have to replace the whole file. This is a pure client-side mode, but will still require server's to have it for consistency checks.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited February 2014
    Ok we had a thread about exactly this a few month ago. But i'm unable to find it atm.

So the conclusion:

You don't even have to mod for this. :D

Just use this (in console):
    setmaplocationcolor  0 0 0 0

B-)
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    bind key setmaplocationcolors 0 0 0 0
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited February 2014
    Ok we had a thread about exactly this a few month ago. But i'm unable to find it atm.

So the conclusion:

You don't even have to mod for this. :D

Just use this (in console):
    setmaplocationcolor  0 0 0 0

B-)

Yeah I made the thread a while back and have binded the setmaplocationcolor to a key, but I have to redo after every map change or server switch, just like my maxfps and fps on screen. I'm sure I'm not the only one that would like something like this. As far as consistency checks, is there any way to bypass this file during the check or is that UWE's end?
  • FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    edited February 2014
    Its on the server-owners end I think.
    Maybe it could be possible for you to mod something that isnt consistency checked to run that concmd, but I dont know if there is any such files :(
    And if the fonts arent consistency checked (anyone who knows what is and isnt by heart?), you could probably actually mod the actual font file. There is only one other thing in the code that uses the same font from what I could see.
    "core/fonts/AgencyFB_smaller_bordered.fnt"
    I'm sure I'm the only one that would like something like this.
    Somehow I get the feeling you meant to have a "not" in that sentence
    Experimented setting some values to 0 in that file, and setting the width variable to 0 seems to have worked splendidly. Took some time to do it, but the letters are gone and it didnt block me from entering a srv.
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    I got it Feha! Thank you!. Now, on to publishing. I have published crosshairs but those are pretty simple to do. Do i need to transfer the entire "font" folder to output and add the modded file to the output file as well? Then publish?
    edited February 2014
    Remember that as I said, there is one other thing that uses the same font? Took a minute to look at it. From what I can tell it is the WorldTip you get when aiming at a unit (I think both players and structures count as that)
    The WorldTip/blip consists of:
    ProgressingIcon
    ProgressText
    HealthBar
    ArmorBar
    NameText
    ActionText
    HintText
    And a few more things, although those should only be the bg components that ppl normally dont notice unless I missed something.

The thing called "ActionText" is what uses the same font, and wont be visible to you..
    The file is named GUIUnitStatus.lua

Regarding publishing fonts, I sadly have no clue, especially considering that this was in the core folder. Test it out and see if it works, otherwise it shouldnt be too hard to just make a download for the edited file and have ppl replace it. After all, in the ol' days, before steam invented workshop, downloading mods used to involve actually putting the files in the game somewhere rather than just clicking a button. And ppl managed that just fine :)
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    You won't be able to overwrite core files. If you overwrite a core file, you won't be able to join any NS2 servers. Mods only work as if they are in the ns2 folder. core is at the same level as ns2. So you can't edit anything in the folder. You can however create hooks in a separate file to overwrite the core code.
    edited February 2014
    I think I got it to work. I added a "fonts" folder in the mod folder itself then added the changed font file to the mod. I've tested in sandbox and other servers and it seems to be working for me. Now if only the workshop would quit being stupid and apply my preview image, I'd be set. Here's a link if you want to test it for me. :)

No Map Locaions
    @Feha I've played a few games on different servers and through the sandbox as well, I haven't noticed anything being different other than what the mod is meant to do. a few people have tested it as well and said the same thing. With both full, minimal, and custom HUD, nothing seems out of the ordinary. Thank you for your help! I'll need to edit the mod page to credit you for the help.