GorgeCraft is on Steam Workshop

Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
edited January 2014 in NS2 General Discussion
Welcome to GorgeCraft.

GorgeCraft is a mod designed for players to build and construct to their hearts content. The aim is to give as much freedom as possible to the players for building, letting their imaginations do the rest. It takes the Alien builder class from the game Natural Selection 2, and gives it a whole new lease of life, freed from the ravages of battling pesky Marines.

It's a little known fact that the kharaa aliens are completely different races, absorbed by the bacterium in it's quest to grow. Back on their peace-loving homeworld, Gorges love to spend all their time building, playing sports and sliding around on their bellies. It is their calling. GorgeCraft gives you an opportunity to experience Gorges operating in their natural habitat...

Containing 13 of the Alien buildings, play away to your hearts content, making obscure art from the Alien buildings.

Recommended for playing on your own, or on a listen server with friends. There is no win condition, you just play until you are bored, and then close the game down.

Currently in Alpha, 7 more Alien buildings will be added, code optimisation and other updates will be coming along to further improve your building experience.

GorgeCraft is Part 1 of the GorgeWorld Trilogy.

Game Design and Programming - Andy 'Soul Rider' Wilson

Build Menu Icons by Rantology
Loading Screens by MotherGoose & Soul Rider

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=219694646

preview_zps6766dc65.jpg

4_zpsfb810f22.jpg

2014-01-22_00005_zps5f06a4f9.jpg

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2014
    Congrats for getting it working again :D
  • KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Woohoo, I mentioned this mod idea a few months back - glad to see it come alive :D

Should try and get it working so you can have 2 teams that have to defend their hive with structures and kills the enemy's hive.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2014
    @Kalopsia - Lol, Nice try at self-creditation, but if you only mentioned it a few months back you missed the boat by about 18 months or so :) I first released this mod in April 2012, the week after clogs were added to the game in beta :D It has sat around undeveloped since September 2012, and I decided a couple of weeks ago to get it working again. :D

Also, as mentioned, this is one in a Trilogy of mods, so there may be something fairly similar to what you have mentioned being worked on currently for release in a month or so :)

Here is a link to the mod thread in the modding section of the forum where GorgeCraft has been living for nearly 2 years:

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/118164/gorgecraft/p1
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Wow, so many quality mods coming out!

Heart warming, any chance of a consolidated effort on a map or two?

Despite *far* to many uni years spent playing NS1, were *all* ns1 maps 4 hive ...?... Don't get me wrong, I like Veil and Eclipse in NS2, very much (especially that field wall in cargo, even on low settings it is beautiful)
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    This makes me think of just one thing, idea for another mod...

Gorge tower defense :|
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited January 2014
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2014
    Posted an update to GorgeCraft. There are a few people playing this on servers, and they really needed the update :)

Changelog:
    Fixed a couple of Spectate mode bugs.
    Fixed a Respawn bug.
    Increased Player Jump Height
    Increased Belly-Slide Speed
    Added gc_crevice to the mod.
    Added Cloak to View Model when placing buildings to enable better view.
    A few small server optimisations.
    edited February 2014
    Here's a new GorgeCraft Video:

This is a high-speed video of me playing GorgeCraft in the Crevice Map.

Music - BadummGorge by DerAkademiker
  • KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    @Kalopsia - Lol, Nice try at self-creditation, but if you only mentioned it a few months back you missed the boat by about 18 months or so :) I first released this mod in April 2012, the week after clogs were added to the game in beta :D It has sat around undeveloped since September 2012, and I decided a couple of weeks ago to get it working again. :D

Also, as mentioned, this is one in a Trilogy of mods, so there may be something fairly similar to what you have mentioned being worked on currently for release in a month or so :)

Here is a link to the mod thread in the modding section of the forum where GorgeCraft has been living for nearly 2 years:

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/118164/gorgecraft/p1

Sorry only just saw this post. Was never trying to claim the idea as my own, was just happy to see someone who had the same idea bring it to life :D
    Very big update released, although most of the work is code culling and optimization.

A few playable notes:

Removed AV outline from entities. (The models look much better without that orange glow...)
    Made all buildings digestable. (Hive is currently very hard to digest, as you need to be inside the model :P)

Loads of other things amended that I can't even begin to remember now. Lots of code-culling so the Mod runs very light compared to NS2, well at least, it does at the start of the round....

Note - GorgeCraft Next Update is THIS update...
    GorgeCraftServerResourceUsage_zps3f878a07.png

Enjoy the mod and happy GorgeCrafting....
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2014
    As a gorge, I would have trouble digesting a hive. It is kinda large. :p
    james888 wrote: »
    As a gorge, I would have trouble digesting a hive. It is kinda large. :p

Unless you're Gorgezilla.

edited February 2014
    After a very long delay, may I introduce to you...

GorgeCraft:Exo Edition

2014-02-23_00002_zpsee4904d7.jpg

2014-02-23_00001_zps0006595a.jpg

Featuring 2 new alien buildings - Contamination & GorgeTunnel as well as 10 Marine buildings that can be placed by the ExoGorge.

Buildings include an object rotation while trying to place, and some buildings also include rotation on placement, so that once you have clicked to place, you can rotate them, by moving your view, to get them aligned as you want them.

Buildings can now be stacked, you don't need clogs to attach them together.

ExoGorge also features a 'hover' mode. By pressing the 'Crouch' key, the ExoGorge hovers at that spot, to allow placement of items.

Press 'G' to enter ExoGorge mode, and press it again to return to normal Gorge mode.

Here is a quick demo of the buildings you can build:

And here is a longer build video showing some of the toys in a bit more detail:

• cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited February 2014
    NS1 gorges-are-khamm style? Sweet.

EDIT: Nvm this is just to build anything, but still nice.
    Released an update today. Fixed a few bugs that cause server hangs, performed some optimisations, oh, and now gorges can fly :D

I would love to have some feedback from anyone who is playing this :D Even if it is just screenshots of things you have made :D
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I must say this publicly. This mod is becoming very well polished and is probably one of the better mods out there right now. Needs to get the attention it deserves.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    edited March 2014
    I hope it works better than clog placement in vanilla, cause that barely works, finicky tripe that it is.
    edited April 2014
    Today is the big day. The official release of the GorgeCraft mod.

Unfortunately, I have been too busy to create any new media, so I don't have a wonderful video to accompany this release, but just use your imaginations and pretend it is the best launch trailer ever!!

It's been an amazing experience, and now it is time for me to move on to other projects. I will still maintain and bugfix GorgeCraft, but the feature list is complete and the game is there for you all to enjoy...