More skulks with shotguns!

2»

Comments

• meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I CANT FIND ANY SERVERS RUNNING IT :'(

checked SCC last night and nobody was on and the mod wasnt running D:

This looks so goooodddddddd damnit, I want to play!
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The game is fun but imo the upgrade system (kills for upgrades) should be made more 'imba' (more noticable) and it would be cool if a combat-like system was implemented (choose your own development based on the role you wanna play- big health tankskulk, fast running retriever or big damage defender etc.)
  • Maxx11_v2.0Maxx11_v2.0 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172221Members
    I gave it a go and instantly got reminded of quake. Mixing skulk movement with sg aim works surprisingly well but the lack of variety currently makes it grow quiite stale after just a few rounds. Great start though. Id say the trick is to expand on the concept without overcomplicating things.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    CCTEE wrote: »
    The game is fun but imo the upgrade system (kills for upgrades) should be made more 'imba' (more noticable) and it would be cool if a combat-like system was implemented (choose your own development based on the role you wanna play- big health tankskulk, fast running retriever or big damage defender etc.)

Howser said the upgrade system is going to get an overhaul. I doubt you will be able to specialize, though (keep it simple).

Howser said the upgrade system is going to get an overhaul. I doubt you will be able to specialize, though (keep it simple).

Ok how about just 2 routes then: defence and offence?

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    SKULKS WERE MEANT TO HOLD SHOTGUNS!!! This much is true.
    The metro map is GOLD and is perfect for skulks, with shotguns.

Instead of lerks with lmg, I want lerk with railgun.

Speaking of great ideas for mods, http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/131562/onos-mount
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    This is amazing fun. Well done. It's great for warm up as well. :D
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Lerks with railguns would be awesome if they used the Quake rail instead of the ez mode ns2 railgun.
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Howser wrote: »
    any chances of adding the rifle as an alternative to the shotgun?
    We have thought about other weapons but came to the conclusion that it would just detract from the gameplay. With the shotgun you force players to work within a certain range and in doing so reinforce the importance of movement, aiming and timing of shots. Adding the SMG or handgun will allow people to sit back and snipe or just win by having a good aim alone. Also its just nice to keep things as simple as possible.

lower the damage of the rifle? i figured that would have been assumed based on how large the maps appear to be.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited January 2014
    Edit: I would love it if for the highest level upgrade you get one shot with a railgun within the next couple of seconds, and refreshes if you get a kill with it.
  • c_cc_c Norway Join Date: 2013-11-14 Member: 189371Members, Reinforced - Shadow

Great mod, loving it. But could you remove the unecessary wall of text showing whenever x person has gotten the y upgrade through the killstreak. Reason to this is simple. The guys with low end pc's playing on low resolution to have a decent fps to play the game just gets its screen filled with it making it frustrating to play and to enjoy the mod.

Pic:

?id=220393351

Incase the img doesn't work, http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=220393351
  • Vert^Vert^ Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181227Members
    edited January 2014
    Great to see this mod be recieved so well!!

I still play alot of quake live and defrag aswell, and do plan to adapt a few q3 ctf maps into ctg sws. Keep the good feedback and reviews coming!! ^^ We mappers/modders appreciate it more than you know <3

EDIT: On the whole powerup discussion, for this mod, I found them a bit overwhelming really. I can see the thought process behind, rewarding players for making the other team respawn, helping the entirely of their own team, in the best way possible, and getting a boost in the process, for even more mayhem.. BUT!! I'd personally, rather seen them turned into static respawn, at certain locations, for a one time pick-up and longer duration. Much like how the quake 3 power ups work, and the runes in dota work even, this gives the team something to play/fight and plan for, other than the flag. The current system works well in Death Match tho'!
    Vert^ wrote: »
    plan to adapt a few q3 ctf maps into ctg sws.

May i request UT CTF-Dreary?

CTF-Dreary.jpg

Awesome map for skulking me thinks.
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Played a few rounds today and I love it! :D The combination of 3D Skulk movement and SG twitch shots creates a very cool gameplay.

Regarding the upgrades... basically what @Vert^ said, make them spawn in fixed locations on a timer. I'm fine with kill streaks giving rewards on top of that, but they shouldn't be too powerful. Two reasons:
    • The player finishing off the opponent is often not the one that did the most damage. So it's kind of random who gets the boost, and that might even be detrimental to teamplay. ("stop stealin' mah kills!")
    • It increases the skill gap by boosting players that are already doing well. While cool for them, it sucks for new players, which in turn is bad for player retention.
    Oh, and the mod should definitely set a custom game mode tag. One server was showing as "sws", but most just say "ns2".
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited January 2014
    personally i think the kill streaks should be removed and you should be giving health/energy back per kill while being proportional to the damage you did.
  • Vert^Vert^ Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181227Members

CTF-Dreary.jpg

I was thinking more along the lines of doing the ctf map Circle of Death, and some others close to that feel. But I'll consider it ^^ Certainly know the map

Circle of Death:
    circle1.jpg

circle4.jpg

circle7.jpg

circle9.jpg
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members

CTF-Dreary.jpg

I was thinking more along the lines of doing the ctf map Circle of Death, and some others close to that feel. But I'll consider it ^^ Certainly know the map

Circle of Death:
    circle1.jpg

circle4.jpg

circle7.jpg

circle9.jpg
    I throw ctf4 into the ring for consideration. skulks.. in space.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    amoral wrote: »

CTF-Dreary.jpg

Circle of Death:
    circle1.jpg

circle4.jpg

circle7.jpg

circle9.jpg
    I throw ctf4 into the ring for consideration. skulks.. in space.

Everything is better IN SPACE!.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I think I can safely leave Proving Grounds mod alone for a while, to get on with my other ideas. the high speed shooter is well covered by Skulks With Shotguns at the moment. :D
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    I think I can safely leave Proving Grounds mod alone for a while, to get on with my other ideas. the high speed shooter is well covered by Skulks With Shotguns at the moment. :D

Noo D:
    personally i think the kill streaks should be removed and you should be giving health/energy back per kill while being proportional to the damage you did.
    Getting energy back for a kill would be bloody lovely, even if it was just a shot's worth. I hate becoming floor-bound after a scuffle!
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    edited January 2014
    Deck 16/17 probably wouldn't be the best for skulking but it's worthwhile for shooter nostalgia alone.
    usBeMvC.jpg
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Oooh ye Gods the nostalgia I just got from that screen. QUICK QUICK GET THE SNIPER FROM THE TOP!!! Or the funny sludge gun that doesn't really do anything! ^:)^
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2014
    Narfwak wrote: »
    Deck 16/17 probably wouldn't be the best for skulking but it's worthwhile for shooter nostalgia alone.
    Yeah, it would be too wide and open to make a good SWS map. But nostalgia, oh yeah :D

Or the funny sludge gun that doesn't really do anything!
    Lol, yes now that you mention it... completely forgot about that one. Rookies spamming green goo from above, which most of the time did... nothing at all ^^ The charge-up shot was fun, though.