Prioritize Phase Gates

2»

Comments

• Not FlayraNot Flayra Join Date: 2012-05-18 Member: 152282Members
    We tried this, but Comms kept turning gates off while people were phasing through. And while an extra hand with a gun in it is almost always useful, it's a lot more useful when it's still attached to a Marine.
    And setting one gate as the universal exit was almost as bad. I don't want to even THINK about the 'beast with six backs and eleven legs' incident.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Now, there is a huge difference between remapping phase gates and an on/off button.
    First allows respawned marines to go to more important place first, but a little extra time to get to other locations.
    Seconds allows for PGs in every room without messing with current PG network.

So, remapping gates is a purely quality of life feature, as you can totally do it now by recycling and rebuilding PGs in right order (requires some teamwork, tho).
    Other one is serious buff to marines.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I would be ok with reordering built gates.
  • B3rTB3rT Join Date: 2013-02-14 Member: 183058Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yes, reordering would be very helpful without being too strong.

Similar helpful would be an arrow or color-codings to see in which direction phasegates are connected.
  • KungFuJVKungFuJV Join Date: 2003-04-03 Member: 15167Members
    Directional arrows would be awesome.

Especially when you are in a rush to save a base and don't have time to stand in front of the pg and read which area you are porting to.

• Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2014
    Not Flayra wrote: »
    We tried this, but Comms kept turning gates off while people were phasing through. And while an extra hand with a gun in it is almost always useful, it's a lot more useful when it's still attached to a Marine.
    And setting one gate as the universal exit was almost as bad. I don't want to even THINK about the 'beast with six backs and eleven legs' incident.

@Not Flayra , there seem to be many great bugs that were created during the development of ns2. Does @UWE have any intention of releasing a video of various bugs created during development? I personally think development bugs can be hilarious, and tend to record mine for posterity, do you?

@hugh

• Not FlayraNot Flayra Join Date: 2012-05-18 Member: 152282Members
    edited January 2014
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    Not Flayra , there seem to be many great bugs that were created during the development of ns2. Does @UWE have any intention of releasing a video of various bugs created during development? I personally think development bugs can be hilarious, and tend to record mine for posterity, do you?
    I, er... I really have no idea. You see, I am totally not part of, associated with, or a member of @UWE in the slightest. You must have me confused with someone else. You should ask someone who is a part of the UWE dev staff, who is completely not me. At all.

(*whew* ...nailed it!)

• AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    edited January 2014
    blind wrote: »
    One word: OP
    Really needs to be tried out before a solid opinion can be formed on the idea.
    MuckyMcFly wrote: »
    What we all really want is more maps right? :P
    They're coming, you just need to wait 50 years for them.

• d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    You can technically reorder already by recycling can't you? Would just be a more intuitive way of doing it.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    I have a perfect solution for better phase gates which is IMO patent-worthy, maybe even Nobel-prize or two, if played right.

Okay, prior to using the phase gate, you would shout the name of the room you want to go, the gate would display it shortly for confirmation (including life video feed of what's going on on the other side), or change color to green to indicate it understands. To differentiate from standard chatter, you could use a code phrase, like ( "GATE PROTOCOL - ACTIVATE - NANOGRID!" ). If two players would try that simultaneously, the one with higher HIVE rank would have precedence.

If games like Binary Domain can have voice analysis and recognition, this game can do it too.

Now stop lazying around and implement it, damn it! The free market demands it!

On a side note, Old Vatted Demerara Rum is extraordinary booze.
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'd recommend just having the commander have some option to organise and choose the order of phase gates because it's largely dependent on order of production. Instead of phase gate on tram: Main > Server Room > Repair, be able to change order from Main > Repair > Server Room but even changing something like this is probably over the top. PGs function fine as designed, I don't think they need changing.

Also, PGs need to have diminishing returns, having them in every room with a set priority is just silly and be able to choose the order can lead to them having too much of an impact on marine mobility, having 3 is already enough and still provides aliens and marines with harass and defend opportunities.

Being able to turn PGs on and off seems extremely overpowered in my eyes without some other constraint attached.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    Not Flayra wrote: »

@Not Flayra , there seem to be many great bugs that were created during the development of ns2. Does @UWE have any intention of releasing a video of various bugs created during development? I personally think development bugs can be hilarious, and tend to record mine for posterity, do you?

@hugh

I suppose @hugh could chime in on this one, but we did talk about it at one point. I can't remember what the issue was at the time.

As a side note I have a hard time finding good screenshots of NS2 to show it off to people because 99% of my screenshots are of consoles, nav meshes and map holes.
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    edited January 2014
    RaZDaZ wrote: »
    I'd recommend just having the commander have some option to organise and choose the order of phase gates because it's largely dependent on order of production. Instead of phase gate on tram: Main > Server Room > Repair, be able to change order from Main > Repair > Server Room but even changing something like this is probably over the top. PGs function fine as designed, I don't think they need changing.

Reordering wouldn't be over the top. In the example given you could merely recycle Repair gate, and then cancel the recycle, to generate the exact same effect.

EDIT: it might be a little OP if the micro required to reorder is so easy and uninvolved that a good commander with little effort could effectively get any marine to any phase gate location (from any phase gate location) that they want in one phase, in a network of >5 phase gates. This is probably unlikely though, but I guess it would entirely depend on how a reordering function is implemented.
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    d0ped0g wrote: »
    EDIT: it might be a little OP if the micro required to reorder is so easy and uninvolved that a good commander with little effort could effectively get any marine to any phase gate location (from any phase gate location) that they want in one phase, in a network of >5 phase gates. This is probably unlikely though, but I guess it would entirely depend on how a reordering function is implemented.
    That's easy to fix: Just disable the phase gates for a few seconds when reordering. Makes it unusable as an emergency response, but causes no problems in other situations.