NS2 Mapping Helper application (replaces 1-click map testing batch files)

bp2008bp2008 Join Date: 2012-11-28 Member: 173581Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
edited January 2014 in Mapping
I built a little app that some of you may find useful. It is a tool that can be used standalone or as an external tool in the Spark Editor to replace the functionality of the 1-click map testing tool in the sticky thread. Here is what it will do:
  • Overview creation
  • Overlay a .png image of your choice on the overview map.
  • Copy files from "source" to "output" (this part can be disabled in case you use the Builder)
  • Copy files from "output" to "Natural Selection 2/Your_Mod_Name/"
  • Launch NS2 and hotload your mod from "Natural Selection 2/Your_Mod_Name/"

Screenies:

2o6vfkq.pngAJ8tfPU.png

This goes in your %AppData%/Natural Selection 2/Editor/options.xml, though you'll have to modify the paths to suit your own personal directory structure:
<external_tools>
    <external_tool title="Test Map" command="C:\NS2Maps\NS2MappingHelper.exe" arguments="&quot;$(ItemDir)&quot; overviewlaunch"/>
    <external_tool title="Fast Test Map" command="C:\NS2Maps\NS2MappingHelper.exe" arguments="&quot;$(ItemDir)&quot; launch"/>
    <external_tool title="Overview Map" command="C:\NS2Maps\NS2MappingHelper.exe" arguments="&quot;$(ItemDir)&quot; overview"/>
    <external_tool title="NS2 Mapping Helper" command="C:\NS2Maps\NS2MappingHelper.exe" arguments="&quot;$(ItemDir)&quot;"/>
  </external_tools>

As you can see in the screenshots above, you need to tell it where NS2 is installed and tell it whether or not you use Builder. I know it is kind of a silly option, but I'm old fashioned and I don't use Builder except to make material textures.

Download from https://ns2mappinghelper.codeplex.com/

Comments

• SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2014
    This needs to query and display annotations for a map using @Confused! 's code and it would be even more amazing.
  • bp2008bp2008 Join Date: 2012-11-28 Member: 173581Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    LOL. I think I found what you are referring to. http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/133450/stuck-spot-annotation-tool#latest

Interesting concept, if not exactly what I had in mind...
  • ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    Nice looking little tool. If you do decide to use my stuff and need help with it let me know. The source is on github as well, just follow the download link and look at the repo.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Just to let you know, if you have not created an overviews folder in the mapsrc directory, the overview completes but does not create it. Maybe you could get the code to create the overviews folder if it doesn't exist?
  • bp2008bp2008 Join Date: 2012-11-28 Member: 173581Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    I noticed that too a day or two ago. Thanks for reminding. Will fix soon.

This brings up a question though. I don't use Builder during my mapmaking unless I need to build a material / dds file. So I don't know if Builder will copy the overviews folder from /source/mapsrc/ to /output/maps/. Will Builder do this or should I add logic to the overview process that does this automatically if the "I use the Builder app" checkbox is checked?
    I have updated the app, fixing that bug, and the app now has a new home on codeplex.
  • QuandrastormQuandrastorm Join Date: 2013-01-02 Member: 177128Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    great stuff, i hope it crashes less often the the orginal tool
    Isn't it overviewer.exe and editor.exe that crash (when they try to close)? Those haven't changed.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    bp2008 wrote: »
    Isn't it overviewer.exe and editor.exe that crash (when they try to close)? Those haven't changed.

I don't know about everybody else, but for me it's builder, editor, cinematic editor, and overview that crash on me all the time.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    bp2008 wrote: »

I don't know about everybody else, but for me it's builder, editor, cinematic editor, and overview that crash on me all the time.

Builder is on autobuild ?
    Disable... ? ...