Playing Around with reflection orbs

QuandrastormQuandrastorm Join Date: 2013-01-02 Member: 177128Members, Reinforced - Diamond
edited January 2014 in Mapping
i have a pool in my map, that comes with a big glass ceiling.
and to make it look extremely cool i want the cool lighted water to reflect in the ceiling.

for this i used a reflection orb, however they are round :/ and the reflection that is made is also round while its a big square room and a square pool. so this looks weird
as in the attached picture

i did try to use mutiple small distance reflection orbs but they all look round and you can clearly see its not a solid reflection but it looks like mutiple mirrors/
i also tryed to give it a distance of 3000, this worked to make the reflection strait as the roundess only happents on the edge's of the orb. it also made my entire map reflect the pool on all walls, even in room cannot see the pool

so is there any way to get the reflection not round at the edges?

Comments

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2014
    Unfortunately no. What you COULD do though is try an old trick where everything below the glass is duplicated, flipped, and placed back on top of the glass so it LOOKS like a reflection.

What you could also do is forget about the water surface, and just make all the lights in the pool specular lights.

EDIT: Oh also, something I discovered recently as well: reflection probes eat file size for breakfast. Try to keep the number you have to a minimum... the probe's size doesn't matter.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    RP are living in the tricks and tips world. This is unfortunate to see this thing made like that. I would have preferred a dedicated texture or a setting applied on a face.

Apparently it's a wide angle rendering of the surrounding applied in a round manner. So it add data to the level.

Nothing to do with real reflexion. BeigeAlbert did answer right. Though it is time and resource consuming for mapper and player. Copying a geometry expose your work to the "invalid long long long triangle in-game while ok in the editor" bug.

What you can also do is playing with lights to hide a little the corners. This trick has been extensively used on the original NS2 map.
    This will only cost a couple of hours to test. Light set up is not geometry editing.
  • QuandrastormQuandrastorm Join Date: 2013-01-02 Member: 177128Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    Sorry i dont fuly understand all terms that are used here

"and just make all the lights in the pool specular lights." when is a light specular?

"invalid long long long triangle in-game while ok in the editor" bug. wait wut?

• UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    A specular light is slitly different. The effect is a shiny mirrored light reflexion. Think of it as a glossy surface. But it not a mirror effect. Only light is concerned. Try it on a dummy map and you see the difference between the two.

This bug occurs usually when you copy a geometry. In your case copying your room to mirror it. Everything is ok in the editor but when you play it... it clearly looks different like mashed 3D.

You can find a trhead about that. Look for 'invalid triangle'
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2014
    A specular light is slitly different. The effect is a shiny mirrored light reflexion. Think of it as a glossy surface. But it not a mirror effect. Only light is concerned. Try it on a dummy map and you see the difference between the two.

This bug occurs usually when you copy a geometry. In your case copying your room to mirror it. Everything is ok in the editor but when you play it... it clearly looks different like mashed 3D.

You can find a trhead about that. Look for 'invalid triangle'

Specular lighting is a cheat that video games use to create the illusion of a light source's reflection, despite the fact that every light in this game (and most games) is an infinitesimally small point in space that shouldn't have any reflection. TLDR: it makes shiny spots. EDIT: Oh I think we should have mentioned that the "point" and "spot" light types have a "specular" option... that's what we're talking about.

Oh wow! I never realized THAT'S what causes the bug! At any rate, there's no reason to shy away from copy+pasting, just know that IF this error does occur for you, all that you need to do is save, close the editor, open the editor & your map again, make NO changes, save again.
    Nope it doesn't solve the problem at all most of the time. The best i could find is to create a new geometry somewhere else. Apparently this occurs on the last geometry created.

Then removing it when all is working properly of course. It tends to happen more as your map grows in numbers (vertex, lines,).
    Nope it doesn't solve the problem at all most of the time. The best i could find is to create a new geometry somewhere else. Apparently this occurs on the last geometry created.

Then removing it when all is working properly of course. It tends to happen more as your map grows in numbers (vertex, lines,).

Really? Huh... always worked for me.
  • QuandrastormQuandrastorm Join Date: 2013-01-02 Member: 177128Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    iv been copy pasting a lot already becase if i draw new faces i Always seem to end up with empty faces they dont got a texture on any side.
    and yes i do have had the issues where bit parts of my maps whre screwed up. that sucks especialy since my map is still so small

and yes i didnt know specular was a setting on the light but i found it out a few hours ago, it does add a more skiney spot in the middle of the light
    iv been copy pasting a lot already becase if i draw new faces i Always seem to end up with empty faces they dont got a texture on any side.
    and yes i do have had the issues where bit parts of my maps whre screwed up. that sucks especialy since my map is still so small

and yes i didnt know specular was a setting on the light but i found it out a few hours ago, it does add a more skiney spot in the middle of the light

Yea I copy + paste a lot too.

Several reasons why a face isn't created with the line or rectangle tool:
    1. The edges aren't actually connected (i.e. a square that's actually just 4 straight lines that don't share vertices, but that LOOKS like it's all connected up. Use welding to fix these non-closed loops.)
    2. The edges making up the face would result in a non-planar face. To illustrate what non-planar means, make a rectangle, select one vertex, and lift it waaayyy up. Notice how screwed up and distorted that rectangle looks now? You can force spark to make non-planar faces by selecting all the edges (again, ensuring that it IS in fact a CLOSED loop), going to select tool, and hitting alt+c. If it doesn't make the face, something else is going on.
    3. A face actually WAS created, it's just facing away from you, and you can't see it. Ctrl+f to flip faces.
    4. Spark is having a hissy fit. Cure with fire, and lots of it. Example:
    -Draw a rectangle.
    -Inset a smaller rectangle inside this one, and extrude this new smaller one downwards.
    -On the big, first rectangle, divide one of the edges into 3 parts by clicking down 2 new vertices. This makes 3 edges.
    -Of these 3 new edges, extrude the two outer ones a good distance.
    -Now extrude the middle edge. If the planet's have aligned properly, a new face will be created encompassing all the faces, even the void created by extruding that smaller rectangle downwards. If you delete this big face, you'll see there was no face created by extruding the middle edge.
    as for not closing them, i assume the rectangle tool does close make closes faces? its that i used so that cant be the reason, and i looked at both sides of the face to see if its was flipped, but it was empty at both sides
    as for not closing them, i assume the rectangle tool does close make closes faces? its that i used so that cant be the reason, and i looked at both sides of the face to see if its was flipped, but it was empty at both sides

Rectangle tool should be used with caution... it does strange things sometimes.
    edited January 2014
    it sure does, thats what i now moved onto copy pasting faces :D
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I found the line tool to be the easiest way to map, I can draw a map pretty quickly and get it to fill in well with the line tool..
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Line tool + extrude
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    edited January 2014
    how many is to many orbs? i like them and the thought of reducing them pains me so.

I generally use extrude its the quickest way to make a level but i use extrude on edges not on faces.
    One must be cautious with extruding faces. It usually end up producing extra faces that are hidden. And sometime these faces produce superposition that just render badly. The flickering effect.

I don't beleive there's a limit on reflection orbs except the pc on which palyers run the map.
    whats a good number
    well if you open maps like eclipse / biodome, you see that they have like 6 per room
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    well if you open maps like eclipse / biodome, you see that they have like 6 per room

Which raises the question if they are a good guideline...
    Don t push too much on it. It s a particular way to apply reflection. It s not like that usual. Usually in 3d it s the texture that bear the reflexion data.

Here you place an orb that will apply reflection on all the surroundings.
    well i have been limiting myself to no more than 3 per room and only in rooms that suit it, can be effective
    6BFA72F86A379ABB96D0C6AEF351C067695885BB
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2014
    That does look amazing to be fair :) The reflection looks more realistic than the rest of the scene :P
    edited January 2014
    well i like it, but you are right the reflection is nice, i have yet to do anything with the lighting in my map other than basic lights
    the reflections are a realy key element.
    in my lateast chamber, i used over > 100 spot lights in a small room :D

it has water in it, and i wanted to make the water look less clear so i stacked up on spot lights with the fog cloud effect \o/

the result looks good and cool, but it also looks realy extreme in the editor :D
    the reflections are a realy key element.
    in my lateast chamber, i used over > 100 spot lights in a small room :D

it has water in it, and i wanted to make the water look less clear so i stacked up on spot lights with the fog cloud effect \o/

the result looks good and cool, but it also looks realy extreme in the editor :D

THAT is going to lead to performance problems... you probably don't need that many spotlights. Also, I'd recommend keeping the atmospherics very low (<0.1) as you don't want it to impact gameplay too much... not to mention most player just have it turned off b/c of the stupid marine flashlight blinding everybody.
    You no like lights :D
    (runs fine on my GTX660TI)
    looks good but combine that with a 20 player server and i dont see it running smooth on most
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    looks good but combine that with a 20 player server and i dont see it running smooth on most

Switch to powerpoint now and you wont notice any difference playing in rooms like that!
    You no like lights :D
    (runs fine on my GTX660TI)

Not everybody has a 660ti. Hell, I have a gtx 780, so I never have any problems at all, but that doesn't mean I can go crazy with details.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2014
    Does it actually use watermod, or just some fake lame 0/10 water.