Have an idea for some NS2WC filler content? Please post them here! :)

RedDogRedDog Las Vegas Join Date: 2013-02-22 Member: 183267Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow
Hi Everyone!

We have been compiling a list of filler content over the last couple months for the NS2WC. There was a thread back in November that had some great ideas. I wanted to give the chance for other community members that missed that to contribute their ideas as well. Also, if you already contributed to that thread but had more ideas or just wanted to post a the same one (but refined!), go right ahead! I think having the community be able to suggest what they want to see is a great way to get everyone involved! We will try to incorporate the best ideas; however there may be some that we just wouldn't be able to do or cannot do - so keep that in mind please (We'll do our best though!)! :D

I've broken the content into three large categories: Gameplay, Community, and Teams. Any ideas under gameplay would be things related to playing NS2. Things like map overviews and analysis, NS2 basics, etc. The community category is for any filler content that surrounds or involves the NS2 community. Things like 'ask the audience', submitting questions to commanders, thanking contributors, etc. The last but not least is Teams. This category of filler content will focus all about the teams and its members. Individual team member interviews, backgrounds, playstyles, etc. Remember: ideas also can be for filler to be made in videos that we can make for the event OR topics that casters/hosts can discuss or analyze. Let's also keep in mind the audience. There will be a LOT of people watching that have never seen NS2 before. So we can't do 24/7 filler content on deep strategy analysis as many would not understand what the heck we're talking about. We will do this, but we'll have to have a nice balance to appease both sides of the coin.

Anyway - you can never have too many ideas I always say! Also, I ask that everyone please stay on topic here. I am asking for just ideas for filler content for the event that we can use before, in-between, and after matches/rounds.

Thanks everyone! Looking forward to making this one of the best NS2 events!

Cheers! :P

Comments

• Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    As another way to show case the community section, may be you can ask people to submit some short videos to show case NS2 or their experience of NS2. ITSSuperEffective's NS2 in one minute comes to mind. And you can probably do some funny skits of what some teams do for their pre-match warmup, the one I was thinking of was on the forums awhile back, where there was a skulk train and they were walking and jumping to a 7 little dwarfs song. rofl.

Also, as videos, how about some epic battles (from pubs) to get people interested. No UWE trailers, (to show case the community side of things).
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Show recordings of some the the fun/silly/cheese tactics that have been used.

Things like the entire marine team using all their remaining Pres on mines when the game is lost, massive gorge and hydra rushes, or Air France

Or even Epic Moments like the Crusade of John of ARC

Things that show potential new players that there is more to the game than just winning using conventional means.
  • SdricSdric Germany Join Date: 2014-01-02 Member: 191297Members
    Full recordings of commander gameplay (his view) during competitive/tournament plays post commented by you :D
    Love your videos! Great job explaining.
  • Fat_Man_Little_CoatFat_Man_Little_Coat Join Date: 2003-12-02 Member: 23857Members
    edited January 2014
    Reddog I love what you do for the community, but why hasn't UWE updated the page for the World Championship? I understand it's not "their" tournament per se, but considering how much effort, and support (financial and otherwise) the community has given the company over the years why haven't they been more supportive or vocal?

Seeing what you do (love Reddog's Roundup), yet, considering its been a WEEK since the tournament games have ended and yet the bracket hasn't been updated. I bring this up, because no matter what content is added its for nil if it doesn't get advertised on one of the main hubs for the game itself.

In otherwords, I'd like to see some developer participation for the WC. Heck, just update a webpage, or have the a link for the teams rosters would really help. A live feed is one thing, but having a bio page available for the community to read would be a nice way for people to choose someone to root for.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but isn't this World Championship supposed to be a good thing for the community? Why isn't it splashed all over the website for the game, instead of being treated as a footnote in the developers eyes?

• JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
  • ZinkeyZinkey Join Date: 2013-06-25 Member: 185694Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Love the idea of map analysis. Id love to see some pre-game content looking at maps coming up in the following game. So for example if the next map to be played was veil, an overview of spawn points/important rooms/common strategies etc. Could maybe have like a 2-3 minute pre-recorded video giving an overview of the map showing some first person views/top down layout. Maybe @It's Super Effective! could provide something as described and then the casters could play it and talk about the map afterwards.
  • duvelduvel Join Date: 2004-02-09 Member: 26318Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Maybe produce some top quality advertisements for the (E)NSL in general (and gathers), to get more players interested in entering the competitive scene themselves? :)
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Everything Joshhhy said. Plus a SN teaser trailer.

Oh. And an announcement of Gorge plushies officially on sale.
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Maybe during player interviews show some clips of clutch play. For instance, have a clip of someone single handedly stopping a 4 man skulk crush. Or something similar.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2014
    A segment where people describe how they told work and family that they need to fly to Germany to WATCH computer games... I think that comes under Audience.. :P

Showing off mods would be cool too, and give me incentive to make sure they are all running smoothly as possible.
  • GeekavengerGeekavenger Join Date: 2012-08-31 Member: 157117Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Skulk Races and or Gorge Races

There should be a ref at the finish line, and at least 3 spectator feeds to cut between. That might be hard to accomplish but it could be a really good way to fill shorter moments.
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    Mods, mods, mods.

Hey, did I mention MODS, oh ok, well, mods. Combat, Xenoswarm, Skulks with Shotguns, Last Stand, Proving Grounds, NS2 Classic. Easily hours worth of filler content. Custom maps, Kodiak. Playing different game modes with the community, exposing other sides to NS2 many probably didn't even know existed, reviving the modding community again, now is the perfect time to mod.
    Skulks with Shotguns is still in Pre-Alpha stage but it is soooooo fun.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    OH, I ALMOST forgot, Gorge racing. A must. Maybe with slight code tweaks to make them go faster
  • RedDogRedDog Las Vegas Join Date: 2013-02-22 Member: 183267Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Thanks so far for all the ideas, folks! We can never have enough! While I am enjoying some of the latest ideas for a good laugh, I fear the thread may derail! :D I humbly request staying a bit on target. :P
  • princessprincess Yaaar! Bristol Join Date: 2004-09-11 Member: 31605Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    I would like to see a mass sing along of Happy Birthday to celebrate my 30th on 22nd Feb.

Failing that, I would like to see some humans attempt to imitate a fade and try to blink across the studio.
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited January 2014
    joshhh wrote: »
    -Let the stream listen in to team A or B's comms via mumble during big pushes, openings, or whenever. (Gives a little insight to how teams function)

Huge +1 to this. This would be awesome. Listening to a team during an engagement would bring the viewers right down onto the playing field with the players they are watching and rooting for. You would get the viewers more involved as well as it wouldn't be a bad learning experience for those watching.
  • RedDogRedDog Las Vegas Join Date: 2013-02-22 Member: 183267Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow
    current1y wrote: »
    joshhh wrote: »
    -Let the stream listen in to team A or B's comms via mumble during big pushes, openings, or whenever. (Gives a little insight to how teams function)

Huge +1 to this. This would be awesome. Listening to a team during an engagement would bring the viewers right down onto the playing field with the players they are watching and rooting for.

Yes! Don't know if it will be possible at all but I will definitely inquire on this.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited January 2014
    Basically you and Wasabi or whoever are casting at the time put a deafened and muted user in mumble channels of each team. (Ie your muted & deafened user in Team A's channel, Wasabis muted & deafened user in Team B's channel.) Then when you want to listen in you simply un-deafen yourself in the channel (stay muted) and broadcast the coms. Then re-deafen when you are finished. Obviously do not listen to both teams at once. :P

• WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Reddog I love what you do for the community, but why hasn't UWE updated the page for the World Championship? I understand it's not "their" tournament per se, but considering how much effort, and support (financial and otherwise) the community has given the company over the years why haven't they been more supportive or vocal?

Seeing what you do (love Reddog's Roundup), yet, considering its been a WEEK since the tournament games have ended and yet the bracket hasn't been updated. I bring this up, because no matter what content is added its for nil if it doesn't get advertised on one of the main hubs for the game itself.

In otherwords, I'd like to see some developer participation for the WC. Heck, just update a webpage, or have the a link for the teams rosters would really help. A live feed is one thing, but having a bio page available for the community to read would be a nice way for people to choose someone to root for.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but isn't this World Championship supposed to be a good thing for the community? Why isn't it splashed all over the website for the game, instead of being treated as a footnote in the developers eyes?

please be aware that Hugh who is the site manager for UWE is out of the country without internet. UWE assets will be update upon his return, of course for the most up to dat info always check www.ns2wc.com

• SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I also forgot to make sure the game volume is high enough, I often find the commentators volume is much louder than the game volume. And having music on would not hurt either.