Why can't the alien commander give his troops commands?

FarewelltoarmsFarewelltoarms gainesville fl Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183603Members
The marine com can do this. "Defend target", "Move here", "Attack target".

The alien com can't say anything to his troops besides "expanding here", which isn't that useful. It's terrible when I try to alien com and people are just running around doing their own things.

Comments

• FarewelltoarmsFarewelltoarms gainesville fl Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183603Members
    Okay, very cheeky, CCTEE, but I've met players who play without sound on. I don't know why but they do. Also, if you tell rookies, "go to lockers and attack the phase gate", they have no idea where lockers is because they don't check the map. A waypoint command would give them on-screen directions.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Uhm, you already can. There's 3 that you can do IIRC.
  • HobocopHobocop Join Date: 2010-11-23 Member: 75226Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    There's actually a "Threat Here" alert under the assist menu, as well as the general map ping that can be used.
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't think specific commands are required at a pub level because skulks are primarily free-roaming, killing RTs and defending bases, Gorges primarily defend bases and build stuff. Aliens are simply more capable of being independent whereas the Marine comm - Team relationship is symbiotic moreso. Marines at some level require direction and commands to build, secure and push.

Anything beyond a pub level uses voice comm 100% anyway.
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2014
    Okay, very cheeky, CCTEE, but I've met players who play without sound on. I don't know why but they do. Also, if you tell rookies, "go to lockers and attack the phase gate", they have no idea where lockers is because they don't check the map. A waypoint command would give them on-screen directions.

No amount of commands is gonna save people who try to play NS2 without sound.
    If you meet more then one just leave the server is my advice.

And yes, me very cheeky!
    youtube.com/watch?v=2CFXhjIoS9k
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Well first of all you can always use text or mic (the former is not always listened to as much as the latter)

2nd, the reason why marines have those kinds of commands is because (especially at start) marines tend to be slower than aliens so that command needs to "linger" a bit. Also most aliens usually just get told 1 place to go but usually they just complete objectives by communicating with teammates and have a "pack" mentality.
  • BobRossTheBossBobRossTheBoss Join Date: 2012-12-31 Member: 176824Members
    edited January 2014
    CCTEE wrote: »
    924011_BB_00_FB.EPS_1000.jpg

Sometimes I'll tell players multiple times that c opens their map and they still don't listen or do it, so I literally have to give them a waypoint so they know where to go.

Or I'll ask a player specifically to run back and build something I dropped behind them and they'll keep running until I waypoint them to build it.

Some newer players literally don't understand what the commander does, much less who they are and in turn won't listen to them. But when the game itself gives them alerts (through me as the commander) they will go to them.

• joohoo_n3djoohoo_n3d Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164703Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    @Farewelltoarms get a microphone and use all features of the game as commander - you will succeed!
    not only threat marker but the healing and expansion and ping...all that along with a microphone and clear and direct communication..win.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    The idea for the Hive Mind was to be more of a hands off approach and giving hints to the alien team as to what he's doing and where he is expanding. While the Commander is a team leader that orders people around. something about asymmetrical and such :)
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    @CCTEE lol You beat me to it. :P
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    You have to click on an alien structure to get the "attach here" icon. I don't use that one much.

"Threat here" - Use when you want aliens to respond to a specific threat
    "Heal here" - I use it when directing a gorge to heal some structure or aliens fighting
    "Expand here" - Use when I want aliens to take a PG or base.

They should be accompanied by specific orders over voicecomm in addition. Using both will aid the newer people on your team to find where stuff is after hearing it over voicecomm. Also recommend playing on a server that requires people hearing voicecomms.
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2014
    I'm fine with the Alien commander giving general directions instead of per-unit orders. However, I find the existing markers quite lacking. "Threat" is the most useful, and can be used as a "defend here" marker. "Heal here" and "expanding here" are too narrow and specific IMO... I would only use it, if ever, before and after dropping a new hive. Using "heal here" to call in support for fighting units is far too clumsy to be of any use.

Also, markers in general are the most useful for novice players, but what exactly is a rookie supposed to do when an "expanding here" marker pops up? It's a very unclear signal IMO.

Right now, I sometimes abuse the existing markers to help new players, as no better tool is available. ("Please go to where I placed the 'expanding' marker and do X.") This is quite clumsy.

What I'd like to have instead:
    • An "attack here" marker - frankly, I'm puzzled why this does not exist
    • A "defend" marker - similar to "threat", but could be also used to guide units in advance, or to suggest Gorge fortification, where "threat" would be confusing as there is no threat yet.
    • The ability to place more than one marker of a type at the same time. Two or more "defend" markers could indicate strategic positions to hold. Multiple "attack" markers would indicate places you'd like to have taken down (harvesters to harass, and enemy positions you'd like to push).
    Yes, you can communicate all this by voice as well. But having these markers (also shown on the map!) would be a great visual help to communicate your overall strategic plan.

Also keep in mind that on public servers, people are joining the match at any time. No matter what you have communicated by voice before will not be available to them. Opening the map and seeing the strategic markers would be a great way to pick up the commander's overall plan, and find out where help may be needed.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    @MrFangs, I almost never use the Alien markers on pubs. It is as you say too generic. I don't use a mic (though I would love to, but waking up the kids is too great a risk). I generally use the ping marker and type my msg out (those who played on my team when I comm will know my typing accuracy drops off drastically as the game go on ;-). If the team is competent, that is all they need, and will know what to do. If the team is green (they are not likely to respond to your calls of gather somewhere anyway).
  • dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    Why do you think people listen to marine waypoints either? I was literally stalking the last marine on my team asking him using his name and waypoints (and pinging). Nothing.

I even had to beacon him to help me build power (and he just ran off anyway -_-)

Some people will just not listen.