Classic Natural Selection (NS2c mod)

joohoo_n3djoohoo_n3d Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164703Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
edited January 2014 in NS2 General Discussion
just finished playing a few games of classic NS (the mod for ns2) and omg aliens are (like i remember) SOOO MUCH MORE FUN THAN NS2!!!
it is more difficult for noobs but omg soooo fun!
and the best part is...
so many years have gone by that gamers generally communicate better which makes aliens even better!!

workshop page here;
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=123837895&searchtext=ns2c

Comments

• ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    can you bind mwheelup/down for bunnyhopping in it? (if there's no bunnyhopping.... then not the same as classic ns.)
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    There is b-hop. This was programmed into the mod specifically. It's as close to NS:Spark as you're likely to get...
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Hmm, my brain is activating excitement receptors like a friggin pinball machine
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    There is b-hop. This was programmed into the mod specifically. It's as close to NS:Spark as you're likely to get...

and my other question, can you bind mwheelup/down to jump for bunnyhopping?

Otherwise, having bhopping in it is pointless for me.

I believe UWE mentioned something about some sort of limitation to the game handling mwheelup/down. I'd be interested to know if the modders found some way to make that work.
  • joohoo_n3djoohoo_n3d Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164703Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    its awesome fun, mouse wheel or not
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    This has been around since before game release, sadly I don't see why it would suddenly gain popularity now. At least there'll be no populated servers locally for me.
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    mouse wheel binding was possible in the menumod created by fsfod over 2 years ago.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited January 2014
    A guy named Player also had a very complex server administration mod with other server features including the beginnings of a HLTV system for NS2. But gave up because it became too difficult for him to continue modding during the beta/with spark etc.

A real shame since it would be better (was better, during it's functional period) than the official implementation. And would've added a great feature to the game.

As far as NS2c goes, Classic #1 was full all day today.. I recommend people to play! It's a ton of fun!

@zomb3h

And Dragon also implemented ICE's LMG with sounds and animations.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I didn't pursue adding the ability to bind mousewheel up/down to jump, rather just made that part of bhopping not a requirement. For aliens you can hold down your jump key to continuously jump, and marines have queued jumping. I did intend at some point to remove the hold down jump for aliens (and use queued jumps), but the lower command rate of spark makes that slightly awkward at times. I also removed the requirement to let go of forward, simply by nulling that input when desirable. That option can be changed by clients however, there is an advanced movement option added to the main menu which will disable that behavior.
  • joohoo_n3djoohoo_n3d Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164703Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    xDragon wrote: »
    I didn't pursue adding the ability to bind mousewheel up/down to jump, rather just made that part of bhopping not a requirement. For aliens you can hold down your jump key to continuously jump, and marines have queued jumping. I did intend at some point to remove the hold down jump for aliens (and use queued jumps), but the lower command rate of spark makes that slightly awkward at times. I also removed the requirement to let go of forward, simply by nulling that input when desirable. That option can be changed by clients however, there is an advanced movement option added to the main menu which will disable that behavior.
    @xDragon ...so i go to options and enable advanced movement and that only effects the ns2c mod movement? the forward movement thing is actually really unpleasant for me.

• xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2014
    Yes that option is not even visible when playing vanilla NS2, nor does it affect vanilla. Now when you say the forward movement thing is unpleasant for you, what exactly do you mean? From my testing there was very few instances where its effects were negative...
    i cant change direction when i jump onto/off of a wall
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I find it fun to play classic again now and then for the old ns1 feel, but its servers are empty often.