I Started a Gaming Review Site

TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
I've just opened up a new gaming review site. It's called Objective Game Reviews. I always see gamers online saying that they don't like IGN or Kotaku or something because sometimes someone writes a review with a score that's too low or high because the review is subject. See this article for just one of the many examples.

So, I decided I would start a review site that writes objective reviews. Everyone wins! Follow us on twitter and Facebook!

Comments

• AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Better not die on us like LOUDHOUSE did.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I applaud the effort, but how can something like a computer game review ever be objective? You must have a complete list of plus and minus points for each problem/achievement of the game, which must be published in advance, and this can never be deviated from. I mean, what objectivity score is your brutal legend review balanced against?

Can I see the objective scoring system you used to make the reviews?

Overall, I appreciate your effort, but it is the personal view point that makes reviews interesting. Without trying to put you down, the reviews on your site currently read like the liner notes or instructions of the game manual itself. Nothing about how it actually plays, how it merits the score it has been graded with.

I think you are taking on a very hard task. Kudos for attempting it, but I think it will be difficult to maintain
    the objective approach and make the reviews interesting enough for people to read.

And until you post a complete and unchanging list of how the game is scored objectively, how it is plus'd and minus'd, which can be checked and confirmed as objective, then the review is essentially still subjective.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    edited January 2014
    Suggest you take out the scoring system alltogether. If you wan't to be objective, you can only really point out the good and bad and let the reader decide if they like it or not. Putting a number in takes out a large amount of objectivity.
    Scores are really subject to a personal opinion, and that's just how the mind works.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    I got linked on Kotaku and it killed the site. I think I maybe sort of have it halfway back up.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    AuroN2 wrote: »
    If you wan't to be objective, you can only really point out the good and bad and let the reader decide if they like it or not.

Good or Bad is an opinion, you can only let them know what is available without any expression of good or bad. At the end of the day though, we should never forget:

A review is an experience of something told through the words of the experiencing entity, it will always be subjective.
    A quote from my Hotline Miami review is now on the Hotline Miami Steam store page.
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    Aren't objective reviews of inherently subjective entertainment products impossible?

--Scythe--
  • ThomasNSThomasNS Join Date: 2011-02-19 Member: 82484Members, Reinforced - Silver
    Nice work, keep up the good work
  • shriikeshriike Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184461Members
    Dat 6.5 for Mass Effect 3.
    >Implying this isn't biased.
    Who do you think is more likely to be the biased person - a random nobody on the Internet, or the creator of the website Objective Game Reviews, which only writes objective game reviews? That's what I thought.
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    Unless a synthetic being incapable of subjective-ness is incorporated somewhere in the judgement process, you've failed to live up to your site's name. I suppose transcending beyond humanity through terrible experiments like Dr Manhattan is okay too. Another theory would be if you viewed yourself as the queen ant and everyone else is drones without (real) opinions, wouldn't the queen have an objective view as there is no one else capable to say otherwise? Being the only creature able to produce a view wouldn't it mean it is the objective one?
  • XythXyth Avatar Join Date: 2003-11-04 Member: 22312Members
    This is great and you should feel great about it.
    Please don't take my posts the wrong way. I think this is cool, and my subjective opinions on objectivity aside, I just think it needs to go a bit more in depth into the game it reviews. At the moment it is like reading liner notes, more in-depth 'objectivity' is all that is really needed to make this site something I would actually use alongside more subjective reviews.

• Damenako_AloneDamenako_Alone Asia Join Date: 2014-01-04 Member: 191968Members
    I cannot find a review of Natural Selection 2. :(
    I cannot find a review of Natural Selection 2. :(

Uh, look harder? It's up there.

In other news I was mentioned in Rock Paper Shotgun's Sunday Papers.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Saw this site from RPS... I knew the NS2 review was from a fan.
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    lol nice satire. Fair play, it's pretty good :)
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    What we really need.
    REALLY NEED.
    Is a review site that reviews.. wait for it..
    Reviews.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    AurOn2 wrote: »
    What we really need.
    REALLY NEED.
    Is a review site that reviews.. wait for it..
    Reviews.

I'd definitely review that site.