I'm trying to get into NS2

SyrchalisSyrchalis Germany Join Date: 2013-12-28 Member: 190998Members
Title.

I am not that big of a fan of FPS games, but I really enjoy them once in a while. Not as a casual gamer, but more like "I play nothing else for as long as the game can hold my attention." I played NS2 about a year ago and liked it a lot back then already, that's why I came back.

I was first confronted with all the changes that had happened, mainly because I was becoming a really acceptable Alien Commander and suddenly I didn't know what was what anymore. By now I have caught up and can probably command again without getting assaulted for it.

But what I really can't seem to get into is playing as Alien unit which is also why the game lost my attention back in the day. I am a pretty decent Onos, knowing when to back off and when to go hard, but aside from that it's rather sad. I guess my Lerk skills are also okay-ish. But as Fade or Skulk I am the reason why marines run around with a 15/3/X KDA.

More importantly, my friends really don't like FPS games at all and especially not NS2 (it's just too difficult for them), while I love the concept of action and strategy combined.

What I want is to make some contacts to play the game, learn from them and maybe grab some tips from those who don't want to group up with me. Just please don't link me youtube videos, chances are I watched them already.

Comments

• aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Your best bet for sticking with the game long term is finding a server community (and regulars) you enjoy playing with. That's why I've kept playing NS1/NS2 for many years now. In the meantime, play around with the explore mode/bot mode and learn what everything does in a stress free environment. A lot has changed since you last played.
  • SyrchalisSyrchalis Germany Join Date: 2013-12-28 Member: 190998Members
    Bots are kinda meh. I mean, usually I don't have much problem ignoring the predictability of bots, but in NS2 they tend to all go the same way, over and over again. It's just a giant slaughterfest of marines and skulks at the same location for the whole game.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2013
    Syrchalis wrote: »
    Bots are kinda meh. I mean, usually I don't have much problem ignoring the predictability of bots, but in NS2 they tend to all go the same way, over and over again. It's just a giant slaughterfest of marines and skulks at the same location for the whole game.

Bots are fine for what they are meant for, training commander and learning the basics.

BTT: I have to agree with aeroripper, first learn the basics in explore mode and by tut vids, then just visit some rookie friendly servers. If you found one with nice people on it stick to it, you will soon see that every "good" server has a bunch of regulars who will recognize you after a short while and therefor chat and play with you.

Lot of teams and clans were founded this way.

• SyrchalisSyrchalis Germany Join Date: 2013-12-28 Member: 190998Members
    Yesterday I found some nice people already.

I also have to clarify myself a bit, I am aware of the basics, even some advanced things, it just comes down to raw skill and training in terms of skulk and fade gameplay where I just can't really get anywhere. Not sure how much bots can help me there.

Also I was asked to commander a lot yesterday and I surprisingly won every single game - even my first as marine commander ever - well, not the one where we got Gorge rushed, but I just don't count that >_> they did that just simply because I was commander.
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    As a german you could try playing on HBZ's server. Friendly people to ask advice from but the skill level is really high.
    It will not be a warm, rookie friendly bed, to quote Nietzsche.

"if you have a suffering friend, be a resting place for his suffering, but a hard bed as it were, a field cot: thus will you profit him best".
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Like others have said, find a server you really like, and people who you get to know it, it's a lot more fun to play.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    *shameless advertisement*
    if you are anywhere near eu, TAW is always looking for more. (both the community and the comp group but I assume you want community)

As for lifeforms.. Which basics do you have? Do you walk on the floor or not with a skulk, for example. Do you play vs folk who are simply in a bigger skill league.. etc etc
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Feel free to add me on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197982654475/

I'm playing semi-regularly with a bunch of Rock Paper Shotgun community folks. They have very mixed skill levels and there is always ample space for teaching and trying stuff out. Skulk and Fade are also my favorite lifeforms and I guess I could give you some tactical advise on them during sessions.
  • DefaultErrorDefaultError Minnesota Join Date: 2013-10-31 Member: 188917Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Welcome back! I agree that keeping interest in a game is all about finding people to play with, it take me a few months to find a group to play with regular but, it was worth it. Good luck!