Most annoying bossfights in games

KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
edited December 2013 in Off-Topic
Just finished Castlevania - Lord of Shadow. Gameplay-wise it's not a very good game, lot's of invisible walls everywhere, really restricted camera (in an annoying manner - "you don't want to jump THERE"), inconsistent actions - you can jump on some places and on others not, without visual clues or any logic whatsoever. However, the art and the atmosphere is IMO superb, and that made me go until the end, to the bonus mini-campaign after the main story ends, where you fight some demon who tries to escape hell, or whatever - he is very creatively called "The Forgotten One", but I can tell you, it's one of the most annoying boss fights I have seen, like, ever. The fight drags on for tens of minutes, where you have to repetitively chip away your foe's health, while you dodge his overpowered, unblockable super-attacks. You gradually damage his armor and you have to keep hitting one single spot several times, while his attacks become faster and faster.

I cursed the game several times and rage quit, but finally, I managed to do it. What an exhausting, repetitive drag.

phased to off-topic, seems it would indeed feel more at home there -Kouji San

Comments

• KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Oh, sorry, this probably belongs to off-topic, so if you mods could move it, thanx.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2013
    I personally think that blob guy from Megaman 3, not hard once you know the pattern it's just VERY tedious with that tiny hitbox that sometimes can't be hit due to ... happy fun time at the gamedev office to troll us :P
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    All boss fights are annoying. Most consist of just trying to figure out what 2-"x" step maneuver does damage then repeating that over and over and over.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2013
    current1y wrote: »
    All boss fights are annoying. Most consist of just trying to figure out what 2-"x" step maneuver does damage then repeating that over and over and over.
    I dunno man, Half-Life had some awesome boss battles vs the Gargantua and the huge Hypersuctor Sensitiva (three tentalces), heck that last one was a complete episode to start the rocket engine :P

Mostly where you use the environment as killing machine instead of doing it all yourself with weapons and hitboxes on the big big monters... The battles vs the Gonarch and the Nihilant were a bit more classic boss battles, still good but not as good as the other two...
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The Good
    The AI in AI War: Fleet Command (best one so far)
    Cyberdemons in DOOM/DOOM II
    The introduction of any new monster in Serious Sam series
    Malcom in Unreal Tournament
    Xan Kriegor in UT2k4
    Patriarch from Killing Floor
    GladOS from Portal/2
    Ghost/Zombie Pirate LeChuck from Monkey Island Series
    Striders from Half-Life 2

The Bad
    Trash goo thing in Toy Story 2
    The ugly cyborg ladies from Metal Gear Solid 4
    John Romero's head in DOOM II (aka, get frustrated and noclip to the face and punch it)
    Abbadon of Hell in The Haunted
    Santa Claus from Gex 3 (only because I didn't know how to beat it...)
    Quite a few that I've scrubbed from my memory...

The Ugly
    Any boss in a RPG game
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    If you talk about good boss fights, I have to mention the Legacy of Kain series. The story was mostly nonsensical drivel, but the characters, the atmosphere, the story design and the pathos that was liberally sprinkled on everything were top notch. As the most memorable, we must remember the octopus-shaped underwater god that hungered for human souls.