I wish Aliens moved over objects without getting stuck all the time.

swansongswansong mk Join Date: 2013-11-04 Member: 188985Members
Why can't we have the sort of graceful Ass Creed movement? Instead with NS2 any little bump and your creature gets stuck on it. Moving around all over walls should be fun, instead it is just frustrating and it doesn't help that this is the only game where you can have a good ping, yet lots of lag? I don't understand why the game runs so badly, both on the network side and client. Why can't I run on the ceiling and then if there is a an overhang, run through that and onto the next room? Instead you just drop down on the floor all the time. I just see that as a limitation of the crappy system where your camera stays upright, it is so disorientating. It should have been done so the camera rotates to what ever you're on, if I'm upside down, I want to feel like I'm upside down.

I'm trying to find fun in this game, been playing for 22 hours now and I just come across fault after fault and there is no option. If I want my camera to rotate, where is the option to do so? No instead I'll bring this up and get flamed by the community and them saying it is a stupid idea.... well you don't turn it on and let me have it as I'd prefer it that way? Where is the harm in having options to make it more enjoyable for a particular person? The biggest killer though is the performance, none of my friends play for that reason of it just lagging and taking forever to load lol.

Comments

• sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    The camera orientation would make at least 80% of players nauseous instantly and would make combat more difficult for all skulks, even pros. There is a very good reason it stays level. Rotation only barely works in much slower games and even then it's still a problem for many people.

Anyway, I agree that the degree of auto pathing should be improved for walls and ceilings so that you can follow an outcropping without detaching all the time.
  • ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    Use/hold the Ctrl button.
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    Further evidence in support of my quality vs quantity argument in regards to community size and player retention.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    @swansong. Have you ever play AVP2? the camera rotates when you climb a wall a an alien, and snaps back when you drop on the floor, it is very disorienting. Try and install that and play multiplayer with it as alien (it makes me car sick). The present camera system is fine (a little unrealistic, but it works). As to performance, what are you running? I use a E8400 (3gz dual core - 5 year old tech) with a nvidia gtx650, and it runs fine (I do play on low settings). But I am here for the game play not the eye candy.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    @swansong. Have you ever play AVP2? the camera rotates when you climb a wall a an alien, and snaps back when you drop on the floor, it is very disorienting. Try and install that and play multiplayer with it as alien (it makes me car sick). The present camera system is fine (a little unrealistic, but it works). As to performance, what are you running? I use a E8400 (3gz dual core - 5 year old tech) with a nvidia gtx650, and it runs fine (I do play on low settings). But I am here for the game play not the eye candy.

Just think about how that would work with wall jumping...
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    sotanaht wrote: »

Just think about how that would work with wall jumping...

Puke city!
  • SiG_SiG_ Singapore Join Date: 2013-12-17 Member: 190211Members
    This is going to be an unpopular opinion, but I do agree with the OP. I did play AVP2 and loved the rotating camera. It just felt natural and was intuitive to me, and uh.. no I didn't get any motion sickness in that game at all. On the other hand, running on the ceiling as a skulk with my feet planted on the ceiling and yet having to think "the floor is down" will never be intuitive for me :( I can't say how much it impacts my game, if it does at all, but it's just one of those things that silently bothers me whenever I run on a wall or ceiling as a skulk.
    @SiG_ we will have to agree to disagree. I hated the AVP2 camera because I have to adjust to the camera shift every time I am on a wall and then jump on the ground. It was ok in single player (you sort of plan your ambush and take your time). But in multi player, it really really sux (we played AVP2 on LAN recently), and I couldn't play as an Alien for more than 10 minutes before feeling ill. With the faster pace of NS2, it would be really really bad for me to be on the alien team with the constant camera shift. The skulk rotating head while not "immersive" or realistic, is better for game play.
  • HobocopHobocop Join Date: 2010-11-23 Member: 75226Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2013
    Yeah, changing the camera angle on walls/ceilings sounds and looks cool...but then you actually need to fight in an enclosed space while a marine is trying to not die since they're actual players and not AI and your view is jumping all over the damn place.

I played AvP (all three of them) as well, and the constant camera shifting simply didn't work out as well in practice as it does on paper. All well and good during the singleplayer campaigns, but it went south pretty quickly in multiplayer.
  • SiG_SiG_ Singapore Join Date: 2013-12-17 Member: 190211Members
    @Cannon_FodderAUS Yeah, I think this is the same kind of issue as "mouse forward to look down" controls. And I do have rather awkward key bindings anyway, so consider me an outlier. Heh. I can't say for sure how the rotating camera would work out, or not, at NS2's pace. I don't think of having to adjust to the rotating camera in AVP2 when dropping off ceilings. To me, a fixed environmental frame of reference is more important, i.e. "up is air, down is where the feet are". Eh, I don't know if that was phrased correctly, but yeah different people perceive things differently and all that. I just gorge in pubs anyway. :D
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    The noise a swan makes, let's call it the swan's song, is a high-pitched irritating hissing noise. The good news is that it can usually be safely ignored.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    if this is implemented, watch all games end with marine wins as all aliens instantly run for the toilet after any serious engagement... down is where the gravity is... and when im on the ceiling, my damn head is stuck to the roof for all I.care.
    @Sig_ everyone knows Reverse Mouse (pull mouse back to look up) is the way to go ;-). Actually, among our LAN group, only me and one other guy out of about 10 reverse our mouse. We are both considered "weird".
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter

gives me vertigo... idk about you