Can we please have thermal vision as Marines and kick back on guns?

swansongswansong mk Join Date: 2013-11-04 Member: 188985Members
I do not understand with all their technical might, how they've failed to bring thermal vision to their era? We have it today, it's not crazy out there sci-fi, it just makes sense for marines to have it.

Also the guns for Marines are so unsatisfying, they have no kick back or anything to make them feel anything other than pea shooters. I just want to feel like I'm holding a crazy powerful rifle, instead I just end up playing Aliens more often than not because it is just not fun to use that weapon.

Comments

• ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
  • MoFoMoFo Join Date: 2013-09-09 Member: 188047Members
    Thermal vision would completely eliminate any advantage Aliens are supposed to gain from dark rooms...

I can agree that the Marine weapons feel like pea shooters, but realistic kick would be a very bad thing for this kind of game. I have always wondered though, why isn't there a smaller Marine sized version of the rail gun? (balanced properly of course - like less damage and higher rate of fire) It would be nice to have a weapon choice as Marine that doesn't constantly require ammo. (or reloading for that matter)
  • tallhotblondetallhotblonde Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174770Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Do you honestly believe using real soldiers will be a thing in future conflicts? According to your logic every work of fiction set in a future conflict would feature mainly drones and such.
    Also: whats wrong with the rifle? Don't you like the sophisticated anti-kickback module they integrated in it?

Nuke them from orbit just to be sure.
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    MoFo wrote: »
    It would be nice to have a weapon choice as Marine that doesn't constantly require ammo. (or reloading for that matter)

Flamethrower for the win :p
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    maybe the marine armor stimulates the muscles so they can negate weapon recoil (would also explain their jumping ability)
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Saw the title and clicked just to disagree.
    No.
  • HobocopHobocop Join Date: 2010-11-23 Member: 75226Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    What makes you think that thermal vision would be of any use at all against the aliens?

Oh, and sure. Let's go ahead and turn on weapon recoil for a few days. Let me know how it goes when you miss every single shot on anything that's not a gorge or onos from lolscreenshake.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    marines are OP already with nanites...
  • SiG_SiG_ Singapore Join Date: 2013-12-17 Member: 190211Members
    We should also have sniper rifles and a heavy machine gun amirite?

Oh.. um... :P

Snarkiness aside, he's right about the marines' default gun feeling a bit like a peashooter. I'm not saying that they actually are peashooters. The machine gun and shotguns are powerful, especially at W3, but they're let down by their sound effects. I judge all shotgun sound effects by how satisfying the boom is, and unfortunately I still think the Doom 1 shotgun from donkey years ago is the benchmark to beat and NS2's just falls short of it :P Maybe at W3 the machine gun's sound effect could be more distinct than it currently is. I'd be thrilled to have the pulse rifle sound effect from Aliens in its place.
  • MoFoMoFo Join Date: 2013-09-09 Member: 188047Members
    It would be nice to have a weapon choice as Marine that doesn't constantly require ammo. (or reloading for that matter)

Flamethrower both requires reloading AND ammo lol. (yes you CAN run out of ammo entirely)

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited December 2013
    Just throwing this out there: what would be the effect of reducing the bullets per mag on the LMG to 30 (maybe 25) and increasing damage per bullet and reducing ROF so you do exactly the same amount per mag in the same amount of time (also tweak the sound effects)? I always felt that things shoot too damn fast making it difficult to control how many bullets you are firing. I figure with more punch per bullet it could feel less like a peashooter even though the net effect would be the same and the 30 round mag would make it more assault rifle-y. I always thought it was odd that we used LMGs even though they really don't bear any of the typical LMG hallmarks except for the mag size which is big for an assault rifle but still too small for an lmg.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    If you increase damage per bullet you also increase potential burst damage from squads, making Skulks pop left and right without much control on their end. Bullet hell is a term right :P
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited December 2013
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    If you increase damage per bullet you also increase potential burst damage from squads, making Skulks pop left and right without much control on their end. Bullet hell is a term right :P

Only the first shot burst damage which is a function of rate of fire being controlled on a cool down basis. Even doubled though I don't think it would be that much of an issue but anyway it's just a wild theory.
  • DaxxDaxx Join Date: 2002-04-16 Member: 460Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow

Flamethrower both requires reloading AND ammo lol. (yes you CAN run out of ammo entirely)

While true, I think I've run out of ammo maybe once with the flamethrower.

As for this topic, as explained gameplay > realism.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    Thermal vision would completely eliminate any advantage Aliens are supposed to gain from dark rooms...

I can agree that the Marine weapons feel like pea shooters, but realistic kick would be a very bad thing for this kind of game. I have always wondered though, why isn't there a smaller Marine sized version of the rail gun? (balanced properly of course - like less damage and higher rate of fire) It would be nice to have a weapon choice as Marine that doesn't constantly require ammo. (or reloading for that matter)

so OP
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    james888 wrote: »

don't forget about the realism of alien teeth trying to bite through armor. or cloaking... at all. and maintaining speed after getting shot? let's see you try jumping around missing half your leg.