Whips

Know painKnow pain Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157674Members
So whips have fallen by the wayside just like drifters? Anyone remember when whips would knock back a gl round or 2 to the person that was lobbing them into the hive? This way marines couldn’t just side outside a hive and just keep on firing gls in, wasn’t that the reason behind the arc/siege cannon?

Comments

• RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah would love if they hit grenades back
  • shriikeshriike Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184461Members
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Wow, I thought for a second I might actually be giving you agree on one of your posts. Nope.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited December 2013
    I wish you'd need to mature whips with mist, so they wouldn't automatically mature to bombardment. Stoopid whips giving away muh cloaked-whip ambushes with their silly goo-balls. :(
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    GLs were pretty much useless back in the day whips could lob them back, and in their current state whips are already very very effective. If anything should change, imo it would be increasing their cost, not buffing their abilities.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    wait.. we have these cheap 'lets nuke away armor and arcs/exos inrange and melee you in the face and place me under shades' tentacles of pure awesome and you want to buff them more? :D
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited December 2013
    Know pain wrote: »
    So whips have fallen by the wayside just like drifters? Anyone remember when whips would knock back a gl round or 2 to the person that was lobbing them into the hive? This way marines couldn’t just side outside a hive and just keep on firing gls in, wasn’t that the reason behind the arc/siege cannon?

No, not really. They aren't fallen by the way side. They're still very prevalent in public games.

Whips are still really strong. But for different reasons. They don't counter the only AoE anti-structure weapon (that marines can carry) now.. which was really terrible for gameplay. Well, whips still are really terrible for gameplay but that's beside the point.

If Marines are given the positioning to sit outside your Hive and aren't forced off (by Fades/Lerks etc which are very effective at killing defenseless GL players) then they deserve to be firing grenades into your hive.

Deal with it.
  • SUPER_SARSSUPER_SARS Join Date: 2013-02-13 Member: 183039Members
  • HobocopHobocop Join Date: 2010-11-23 Member: 75226Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2013
    Drifters are useless now?

And yeah, I remember when whips knocked back grenades. It made GLs into garbage weapons hardly even worth buying.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    edited December 2013
    whips are nearly worthless in larger servers.... half the time they miss anyhow.

with that and making it an upgrade chamber... boggles my mind.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Whips are worthless on larger servers because larger servers are broken.
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    I wish you'd need to mature whips with mist, so they wouldn't automatically mature to bombardment. Stoopid whips giving away muh cloaked-whip ambushes with their silly goo-balls. :(

Would be cool if you could toggle that attack on or off.

• Know painKnow pain Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157674Members
    As I recall whips were introduced to knock back the occasional grenade round to the marine firing it. Then whips were made to knock the occasional grenade round in a different direction sometimes even hitting the hive itself. And if I remember correctly it was then made to knock back every single gl round right back to the marine shooting in the general direction of the whip (1 whip > 20 gl rounds 5 dead marines, making gl’s useless).

Yes at this point whips were OP but that shouldn’t have meant to completely get rid of something that it was intended to do in the first place.

Now I don’t understand why upgrades were placed on the whip when the sole purpose of the whip is to attack and defend. It’s like telling the marines they need to have an arc to get weapons 3 and armor 3 but if they lose that arc, they go back to weapons 2 and armor 2.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited December 2013
    I would really like to see the "smack grenade" functionality restored, in one shape or another.

I'm not sure I liked the implementation before it was removed where 1 whip could hit an infinite amount of grenades back at the precise point where they were fired from with perfect accuracy, i.e. basically 15 res that made an infinite amount of GLs perfectly and completely useless.

I would love an implementation where there's a toggle on the specific whip that you can turn on where the whip goes in panic mode and whips incoming grenades in random directions - even towards friendly structures (and smacks skulks on the ass as they run by, giving them a slight speed boost). Maybe make it off by default or something.

Edit: Should be really easy to implement, since the critical code is already there, and it's a decent balance between ridiculous OPness, and no defense against GLs at all (except killing the GLer).
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Now I don’t understand why upgrades were placed on the whip when the sole purpose of the whip is to attack and defend. It’s like telling the marines they need to have an arc to get weapons 3 and armor 3 but if they lose that arc, they go back to weapons 2 and armor 2.
    Finally, something I agree with you on! ;)
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    WTB whips that toss back grenades, slap you in the face while throwing bile, then steal your weapon and eat it, all while projecting an ink cloud. Ohh, and they should be immune to fire.

But really... lets not give alien khamms any more reason to drop more whips than they already do.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    As I recall whips were introduced to knock back the occasional grenade round to the marine firing it. Then whips were made to knock the occasional grenade round in a different direction sometimes even hitting the hive itself. And if I remember correctly it was then made to knock back every single gl round right back to the marine shooting in the general direction of the whip (1 whip > 20 gl rounds 5 dead marines, making gl’s useless).

Yes at this point whips were OP but that shouldn’t have meant to completely get rid of something that it was intended to do in the first place.

From what I remember, the grenade whack was meant to reduce the power of the GL attachment to both destroy hives and kill lifeforms (since having a GL attached to the Rifle was OP as hell, despite how fun it was)

That being said, the grenade whack made the whip an incredibly useful defense tool (for when GLs were even used) and I would also like to see the whack make a return, but only return 1/4 grenades (so 4 would cancel 1 GL) and also have the GL buffed up a bit on structure damage to make it more worth using.

Basically, Whip vs. Grenade combat was awsome and I would love to see it back

Also, +1 for Evo Chamber, whips as upgrade towers is just silly. (hell, just make the evo chamber life the old shells, 1 Evo Chamber for each lifeform)
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    I always thought the grenade thing was kind of stupid. The GL is already such a niche weapon as it is and having it be hard-countered by such a cheap and easy to use alien building didn't seem right to me.
    Yeah, that's pretty much why it got changed. It was the only thing in the game that felt like a definitive hard counter. Even the flamethrower doesn't act as a hard counter to the stuff that it burns away because the guy using it ends up being so much easier to kill for having it instead of a rifle or shotgun.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Agreed, though I might tone down the flamer a bit if given the chance. It feels like it counters a few too many things at the moment, even if it does weaken the damage output of the person using it.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    HeatSurge wrote: »
    I would really like to see the "smack grenade" functionality restored, in one shape or another.

I'm not sure I liked the implementation before it was removed where 1 whip could hit an infinite amount of grenades back at the precise point where they were fired from with perfect accuracy, i.e. basically 15 res that made an infinite amount of GLs perfectly and completely useless.

I would love an implementation where there's a toggle on the specific whip that you can turn on where the whip goes in panic mode and whips incoming grenades in random directions - even towards friendly structures (and smacks skulks on the ass as they run by, giving them a slight speed boost). Maybe make it off by default or something.

Edit: Should be really easy to implement, since the critical code is already there, and it's a decent balance between ridiculous OPness, and no defense against GLs at all (except killing the GLer).

I like the 'panic mode' thing but I think really, if anything, Whip Bomb should be toggle-able as it often fucks up ambushes.

What I think would be an acceptable implementation of the nade-whip, would be whips knocking grenades out of the air; rather than knocking them TO a specific/random place, the nades should fall to the ground near the whip before exploding. This would mean a) positioning of whips would be important to save your structures from grenadiers, and b) a whip will eventually die after tanking so many nades for your other structures, making them not invincible killing machines.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    HeatSurge wrote: »

I like the 'panic mode' thing but I think really, if anything, Whip Bomb should be toggle-able as it often fucks up ambushes.

What I think would be an acceptable implementation of the nade-whip, would be whips knocking grenades out of the air; rather than knocking them TO a specific/random place, the nades should fall to the ground near the whip before exploding. This would mean a) positioning of whips would be important to save your structures from grenadiers, and b) a whip will eventually die after tanking so many nades for your other structures, making them not invincible killing machines.

yeah, give them a grab mechanic, and they swallow it kinda, so decreased aoe on the splash, should be relatively easy to implement.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I think whips not whacking grenades is a technical limitation now, not balance change.
    Whips stopper whacking grenades when dem nades went predicted clientside.
    Yeah, they didn't stop hitting nades back for balance, they stopped hitting them back because they were unable to (for reasons @xen32 said) THEN they decided the change was good anyway and kept it...ehhhhh. If they were to whack nades back it'd be another justification (not that there are any more needed imo) to bump it back to 15tres.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    So... Goodbye ever having an interesting whip mechanic again? :(
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    amoral wrote: »
    yeah, give them a grab mechanic, and they swallow it kinda, so decreased aoe on the splash, should be relatively easy to implement.

This is a bit off topic, but AoE reduction would be a neat drifter ability for shade hive. And a nice re-imagining of Ink..
  • JekyllJekyll Oregon Join Date: 2013-11-20 Member: 189469Members, Reinforced - Silver
    I'm pretty new to these forum discussions so forgive me for my ignorance, but what exactly makes whips OP?

This might just be my perspective coming from someone who has played a fair amount of TF2, but I've always thought whips were very well designed compared to the other kinds of area denial/defensive structures present in most FPS games.

They almost never kill marines unless they're already weak. They can use bombard, but that does very limited damage, even to armor.

A whip basically serves two purposes: it provides soft area denial, and it slows down marine pushes by forcing them to spend time killing the whip.

But compared with nearly every other kind of passive defensive structures in FPS games, whips are one of the most benign to enemy players. They are much less unfair than mines or sentry guns, though their low cost means they are much more prevalent than sentries.
  • SUPER_SARSSUPER_SARS Join Date: 2013-02-13 Member: 183039Members
    Jekyll wrote: »
    I'm pretty new to these forum discussions so forgive me for my ignorance, but what exactly makes whips OP?

This might just be my perspective coming from someone who has played a fair amount of TF2, but I've always thought whips were very well designed compared to the other kinds of area denial/defensive structures present in most FPS games.

They almost never kill marines unless they're already weak. They can use bombard, but that does very limited damage, even to armor.

A whip basically serves two purposes: it provides soft area denial, and it slows down marine pushes by forcing them to spend time killing the whip.

But compared with nearly every other kind of passive defensive structures in FPS games, whips are one of the most benign to enemy players. They are much less unfair than mines or sentry guns, though their low cost means they are much more prevalent than sentries.

What makes them so OP is a couple of things.

1. The alien commander putting them in areas that the marines have to advance through and making them hard to shoot directly at. It takes more than a few clips of a rifle to kill a whip, that usually has a crag in range, and shotties have to move into attack range of the whip to make them worth the shot.

2. They are cheap, only 10 res. The alien economy doesn't need continuous investment in their tech tree, like the marines. What the aliens need are lifeforms.

3. Now that you've blocked doorways and whips are cheap to replace you now created a situation that the marines are fighting the whips and the lifeforms.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    SUPER_SARS wrote: »
    Jekyll wrote: »

What makes them so OP is a couple of things.

1. The alien commander putting them in areas that the marines have to advance through and making them hard to shoot directly at. It takes more than a few clips of a rifle to kill a whip, that usually has a crag in range, and shotties have to move into attack range of the whip to make them worth the shot.

2. They are cheap, only 10 res. The alien economy doesn't need continuous investment in their tech tree, like the marines. What the aliens need are lifeforms.

3. Now that you've blocked doorways and whips are cheap to replace you now created a situation that the marines are fighting the whips and the lifeforms.

I agree with those points. But alien upgrades are expensive. At least in pub games, whips appear when there is no new tech point free for the aliens and all upgrades they got are bought. At this point, aliens can use their res to reinforce their positions. This means that marines are playing passive. When the aliens already got all upgrades from their 2 tech points, it should be more than time for the marines to get a few ARCs going. Either way, with a bit of teamplay, aliens will crush every marine base when enough onos appear. So the marines need to hurry anyway. I like the aspect that a whip spamming com forces the marines to use arcs and GLs.

On the other points: GLs are fine now. And an increase of the whip cost to 15res wouldn't be any problem (when skulk upgrades get 5 res cheaper).
This discussion has been closed.