Proximity team voice

SkyfishSkyfish Norway Join Date: 2013-11-23 Member: 189525Members
summary: 2 voice chats, one for all team and one only for teammates nearby.

Often I want to call out such as "i'm covering you" and on all team that is confusing "who are you talking to?" Often it's me and one other person rushing or scouting and I need to communicate a lot to them, even simple "back off onos!" when I'm a gorge with low energy with no time to even check the name of the other player in the heat of battle.
All talk is usually great, but there can be a lot of chatter happening at once, especially with an active commander. and it becomes sometimes very noisy.

Comments

• SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    "I'm covering you" is proximity, it only plays to people around you.
  • SkyfishSkyfish Norway Join Date: 2013-11-23 Member: 189525Members
    Do people really understand the alien voice commands? I can't distinguish the different growls just yet myself.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Samus, he wasn't talking about voice commands, he's talking about Local voice and global (team?) voice.
    Would definately like to have this! Would be able to chatter with my team more in comp play. (mind, i would be using mumble for our team chat so only local chat would be used for ingame)
    This would also help supremely in 24p pub games where everyone has a mic. everyone wants to talk at once. "BEHIND YOU", for example. Behind who?! behind me?

+1 for suggestion.
  • NeemhNeemh Lithuania Join Date: 2013-12-31 Member: 191180Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2014
    EAX 5.0 Allow this feature and more. 1) It doing proximity voice chat just like you are your char. 2) It can make your voice sound like you are in helmet with raspirato (+ to ambient).
    p.s. and yea, EAX be good even more here. Lots of time i survive just coz hear aliens running trough ventiliation. So i am for petition to get full EAX suppor to thi game.)
  • KungFuJVKungFuJV Join Date: 2003-04-03 Member: 15167Members
    Approve.

Whenever I hear someone yell "x is behind you!" I always jump 180 on full alert. And then get eaten by the guy that is watching me dance
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Back in the alpha/beta someone wrote a mumble plugin that used the player coords to calculate the voice position, so that you could hear him speaking on your left.
    That is really cool! I use team speak with my clan though. I have used mumble before, but I can't convince my friends to switch. Where could I get such a plugin? Is it laggy?

I would really enjoy to see 3D local voice, so you can just chatter away to your buddy without disturbing the rest of the team. The in game voice commands (on the selection wheel) just are not accessible fast enough, or are not specific enough for all the crazy situations in NS2.
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2014
    AMD's TrueAudio would work wonders in a game like NS2.
    Put on your headphones, close your eyes and listen to this...

• turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited May 2014
    i've always been a fan of having a proximity chat that enemies can hear too (mostly for shit talking and taunting), but I can see why this isn't in many FPS's. having one only for the team would be great.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    i've always been a fan of having a proximity chat that enemies can hear too (mostly for shit talking and taunting), but I can see why this isn't in many FPS's. having one only for the team would be great.

one of the reasons I love arma
    Talking to your enemies is fun
    Also, positional voice adds a lot to atmosphere
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I can only imagine the taunts.
    "Here skulky, here. Come out and play"!
    "ONOS! oops wrong button"

• DecoyDecoy Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159037Members, Super Administrators, Playtest Lead, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    I think it would add more confusion. You'd have to have two binds. I have a bind for in game and a bind for mumble and I still get them mixed up every now and then.

Even if this was put into game, you'd still have a lot of people who ignored the proximity chat and just used normal in game for that exact reason.

So while it's a nice idea, I can't imagine it would ever happen.
    I imagine proximity chat being better for "always on" provided you are not in a noisy environment and the mic stays quiet until you do speak.
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    Skyfish wrote: »
    I imagine proximity chat being better for "always on" provided you are not in a noisy environment and the mic stays quiet until you do speak.
    Yes, because hearing someone's breathing, muttering, sipping on their drink, some furious mouse clicking, and various "colorful descriptions" of other players really helps with immersion. :P

• RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    People still press buttons to talk in games? Is this 1998?
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Thank God for press to talk... My first stream went online and I allowed it to record my microphone, so yes you got my voice chat, and all my keyboard typing, coughing, sneezing and everything else...

Plus, some of us have a non-headset mic..