Improving overall skill - Methods?

Warforce17Warforce17 Join Date: 2013-09-12 Member: 188154Members
Hello Ns2 community,

I have been playing the game for around 1000 hours now and have reached a point were I find it hard to improve. Since I still encounter a lot of better players which I have a hard time against, I am looking for ways to improve my overall skill as alien as well as marine. I have watched all "It´s Super Effective" Videos as well as the videos on the steam hub but still have problems with:
* Keeping the speed in combat as a skulk when playing aliens [ I love the lifeform :) ]
* wall jump (to a certain extent I am hiting the walls)
* overall aim especially when trying to hit lerks, fades // Jumping marines

What do you recommend me to do to improve in these areas besides playing more? Is the combat mod a good way to improve the aiming?
Greetings,

Warforce17

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    With the right ppl yes the combat mode is a good way to prepare youself. Still the movement in combat differs a bit from ns2.

Best way to practise futher is to find yourself a team to train different situation in special.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2013
    Just play and don't worry too much. Actually I prefer motivating, interacting teammembers over the know-it-all, can-do-all by himselfe guys. The rounds are more interesting and fun that way.
    Try out different servers a couple of hours. Find one where people play that have about the same level as you or are little better.
    Play, have fun and the skill comes for free.

(I mean you got 1k hour in already)
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I made a similar thread to this probably about a year ago and had some helpful advice, you may want to dig that out. The thing that ended up helping me the most was playing competitively. Public gathers on ensl.org are also great and a fantastic way to get towards comp gaming without needing a team.
    The best possible advice I can give you is this: pub servers give you bad habits. Playing with and against bad players does nothing at all to help. Play against the best people you can find. 6v6 games are imo the single best way to improve your skill but be patient with yourself and don't expect too much too soon!
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    If you are NA:
    NS2 Reddit pugs.

If you are EU:
    ENSL.org Pugs

Have fun :D
  • NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members
    Warforce17 wrote: »
    Hello Ns2 community,

I have been playing the game for around 1000 hours now and have reached a point were I find it hard to improve. Since I still encounter a lot of better players which I have a hard time against, I am looking for ways to improve my overall skill as alien as well as marine. I have watched all "It´s Super Effective" Videos as well as the videos on the steam hub but still have problems with:
    * Keeping the speed in combat as a skulk when playing aliens [ I love the lifeform :) ]
    * wall jump (to a certain extent I am hiting the walls)
    * overall aim especially when trying to hit lerks, fades // Jumping marines

What do you recommend me to do to improve in these areas besides playing more? Is the combat mod a good way to improve the aiming?
    Greetings,

Warforce17

Wall of text incoming:

1a) This is a very good question and it depends on your playstyle during certain situations. In the room you've engaged marines in, make a mental note of the surrounding geometry. You could engage with a "glancing bite" by aiming your wall jump past a marine and flicking your mouse slightly to bite him. This keeps most of your speed instead of running straight at him and stopping in your tracks. I believe the recent hitbox changes have made this easier to do. Marines that are aware of you and good at juking can make you miss even if you're going at high speeds, but you could just wall jump past him if you miss your first bite.

If you decide to do a glancing bite (not to be confused with actual glancing bites of previous builds), you could use the surrounding geometry to wall jump and gain your previous speed back. At this point, you could make a wide arc and keep wall jumping in order to gain some speed and bite the rine again. This can be impossible to do while keeping high speeds depending on the layout of your surroundings. You also give the marine more time to shoot you. It's usually better to just keep it simple, biting the rine repeatedly after you've successfully closed the distance.

2) Wall jumping is pretty straightforward. As soon as you start holding W to move, press jump near a wall and press jump again in order to jump off of said wall. This results in a small speed boost, which disappears quickly if you stay on the ground afterwards without jumping. Your speed will disappear much slower if you just keep spamming jump after a wall jump.

Just one wall jump won't gain you much speed, however. You need 3 wall jumps in order to reach a decent speed. So it will look like this: Hold W > Jump near wall > Jump off wall > Jump off ground > Wall jump > Ground jump > Wall jump. Voila, you've reached good speeds. Remember to hold W during all of this.

What to do when you inevitably make a turn? Along with holding W, you now have to hold A or D (left or right) depending on the direction of turn. If you need to turn left, hold W + A. Right? W + D.

What to do when you need to turn and you can't reach a wall? Just spam ground jumps in order to keep your speed from dropping sharply. During ground jumps, hold W + the direction you need to turn, else you lose speed as well. You don't even need to actually turn while holding W + A or D. This is an important habit to get into regardless of whether you're turning since this mechanic applies to fades as well.

3) There's not much you can do besides playing against lerks and fades repeatedly. You should also play lerk/fade often in order to learn their habits and how they move. If you play with a high sensitivity (perhaps as a habit or for controlling melee aliens easier), I recommend that you gradually lower your sensitivity, especially for marines. Professional FPS players generally play with a low to medium sensitivity and it applies to NS2 as well. You'll need to get a large mouse pad and a mouse capable of at least 500 Hz polling rate. I assume you've done your research concerning mouse settings already.

Why lower sensitivity? A high sensitivity makes it easier to do 180s and to track at close ranges, but it's tough using your wrist for both broad sweeps and precise adjustments. With a lower sensitivity, you'd use your entire arm for large motions and fine adjustments using your wrist and fingers. It might take getting used to, but I highly recommend it. Both tracking and flicking will benefit from this.

As for jumping marines, they can be tough to track if they're strafing at point-blank range or if they manage to jump over you while crouching. This can be alleviated by setting your FOV slider fairly high. Otherwise, you'll need to just practice tracking repeatedly. You can practice in pre-game before both teams have a comm - just bite a marine annoyingly and he should eventually start trying to juke you. :) Or play on a combat server.
  • StardogStardog Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32448Members
    edited December 2013
    Get a rig that can do constant 60 fps. It's the only way.
  • casan0vaxcasan0vax Cloverfield, USA Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166663Members, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I'm gonna plug myself here... ISE's videos are really good, and I've also done a Marine tutorial myself.

Since you have so many hours, some (most) of it will be inapplicable to you, as this video is geared mainly towards 100% new players. But I do include some aiming techniques that might be able to help your Marine play (you can find them in the video description if you want to skip the rest of the stuff).

It's been a very long time since I've made anything, but since I've finally finished grad school and have some free time, I do plan on doing an Alien + Commander video much in the same vein as this Marine one.

Cheers!
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    Hello casan0vax please tell us more about your educational credentials as I am intrigued by your completion of a masters and interest in doing a PhD. How will this affect (not effect of course) your play time and therefor ability to develop skill in areas where you are lacking ?

Regards,

Scatter
  • casan0vaxcasan0vax Cloverfield, USA Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166663Members, WC 2013 - Shadow
    My feelings are hurt.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    jumping as a skulk is something that just comes with practice. know your route as in, the favorite path through rooms. and knowing how close you need to be to a object to get the wall jump,and whether you will hit a wall before you touch the ground or not or if you're jumping off the ground how quickly you'll need to spam to get the wall jump bonus. skulks also need to be incredibly aware of their teammates as well. if the other guys know what they're doing, flanks will set themselves up, but you need to know how best to act in those situations. in comp play, 1 skulk vs 1 marine means one dead skulk and maybe a bite or parasite on the marine. also, wide fov for bite tracking, and decent frames go a long way. also, every marine encountered should be parasited even if you don't get the kill.

map.awareness is power. I assume you have the command map open for 75 percent of the time you're playing.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    What are your specs? Being able to run at a good framerate makes a big difference.

The best things you can do is improve your computer to a point where you get a great framerate and play against good players in pugs. ISE is great for learning important tactical things
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited December 2013
    I wouldn't use combat mod to improve aim. Even though it's pretty action packed, it's still far from constant action. My standard reply to aim improvement is playing Quake. :pwww.quakelive.com

The action is non-stop, and it has alot of y-axis maps(maps with different heights), and that helps with your up and down aim - for dem pesky Lerks especially.

Edit: Dunno why the link is bugged.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    Think of what kind of stuff you REALLY dont want to see from your enemies, then try to replicate that.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I wouldn't use combat mod to improve aim. Even though it's pretty action packed, it's still far from constant action. My standard reply to aim improvement is playing Quake. :pwww.quakelive.com

The action is non-stop, and it has alot of y-axis maps(maps with different heights), and that helps with your up and down aim - for dem pesky Lerks especially.

Edit: Dunno why the link is bugged.

Have to agree fully with this. It's hard to get better than Quake for helping to improve your aim. The three main weapons are perfect for practicing the three different kinds of aiming. Use the LG to practice tracking and the rail to practice twitch shots. The rocket launcher is perfect for projectile aim but that isn't really a skill that is needed much in NS2.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    The RL can be compared to a SG shot. If it's fired close range. Same type of prediction.
  • Warforce17Warforce17 Join Date: 2013-09-12 Member: 188154Members
    edited December 2013
    Thanky you all for your tips. I will try to aplly them next time I am playing Ns2.

@System-related-questions
    My framerate is constant over 60 fps and never had issues in this area. [Settings on medium]

@Gathers
    I will try to join more gathers but most of them never seem to get started. [For whatever reason]

• ChucullinnChucullinn Join Date: 2013-09-05 Member: 187848Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    A big factor in doing well is positioning, as both an alien but especially a marine.

As a marine when you walk into a room you want to engage aliens that would leave them the most exposed and have them travel the largest distance to reach you. You don't want to fight against walls/tight corners because that is more to the aliens advantage.

As an alien you rarely ever want to engage head on, it's always about flanking and trying to reach them before they can see you, use cover, sound and teamwork with other aliens to distract players so you can close in from another direction.

This is as laymans terms I will get.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited December 2013
    Well, you can only learn so much from playing pubs. If you feel you've reached a plateau, start doing PUGs, gathers, join any NS2 community that organises 6vs6 matches, or just find yourself a comp team and start doing PCWs. The more you play with/against more experienced players, the more you will improve yourself. Also, just watching high level comp games and POV streams can be very useful.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    watching comp play is helpful. just wish they'd give away their secrets!
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    RapGod wrote: »

"So, like, you 1-shot this lerk, then 2-shot this fade. Just make sure you don't miss while you jetpack around them while they're blinking. Also, you should aim to shoot at least 3 skulks with 1 mag, reloading is a waste of time."

Yes, me too.
  • simple_simple_ Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188102Members
    edited December 2013
    casan0vax wrote: »
    I do plan on doing an Alien + Commander video much in the same vein as this Marine one.

Cheers!
    Do that! Like the video!

• male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    RapGod wrote: »

I have FPVODs of my scrims / matches

Check my thread here
    http://ausns2.org/showthread.php?786-mf-FPVOD-of-scrims-matches-thread
  • Maxx11_v2.0Maxx11_v2.0 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172221Members
    One thing you'll find is that its not just a matter of raising your skill (which after 1k hours should be fairly high), but changing how you think in the game and dropping some bad habits you may have picked but might not even be aware of. I found that I have a ton of these, which oddly enough started to materialize during my streams. I started to dissect my play-style while giving advice on how to play and realized that I should probably start to take some of that advice myself :)
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Most important thing you can do is lose your ego. It holds you back so damn hard. Lose it and concentrate on doing everything you're already doing better (or if you figure it's a bad idea then do something different).
  • simple_simple_ Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188102Members
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Most important thing you can do is lose your ego. It holds you back so damn hard.

Thats sounds like solid life advise :)
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Honestly before you even try getting improved at a game, how about improving your hardware setup?

There's a lot that goes into monitor/mousepad/mouse/framerate performance/monitors

You'd be surprised how much of a difference those things can actually make
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Having a better computer cannot fix already bad aim. Improve personal skills first and then get the comp upgrade if you still deem it necessary. lol
    I know a few players (not many) that do pretty damn well at this game playing at an 800x600 resolution so they can get decent fps. Not ideal, but it does not hold you back as much as people would like you to believe.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I noticed an immediate improvement in my accuracy moving from 60 to 144 Hz with a bump in fps from a gfx upgrade too. It was actually staggering the difference it made, seeing literally more than double the information in the same game. Smooth turning helps cqc tracking a huge amount. But yeah I was already playing competitively by then and had already made a lot of improvements to my game through simply the number of hours playing pcws and matches. That's the first thing to work on, play 6v6 with and against high level players.