Massive, intermittent slows (not hitches!) in frame rate

FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
So I've been stress my pc quite a bit with school and such, so I think something may be off about it. I bring that up because I think this brings my pcs potential down even more (Macbook Pro 15" from 2012). But it always ran nsl maps at a reasonable 60 fps pretty constant.

Now any map I play with the new patch my game slows down when i need to render events and such.

The glaring example that I want to bring up is this: I went to pug for the first time in a while last night and was sent to crossroads. Nobody came to crossroads and i was just sitting there. The commander dropped the power node and the waypoint it created caused me to go down to something like 5 fps for several seconds.

It is similar to the micro hitching problem that I have suffered from, but I believe this has something to do with the optimizations of this current patch.

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Seems like hitches for me. Wait for 262 and report back ;)
  • DarkLaunch357DarkLaunch357 Campinas, Brazil Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187599Members
    mattji104 wrote: »
    So I've been stress my pc quite a bit with school and such, so I think something may be off about it. I bring that up because I think this brings my pcs potential down even more (Macbook Pro 15" from 2012). But it always ran nsl maps at a reasonable 60 fps pretty constant.

Now any map I play with the new patch my game slows down when i need to render events and such.

The glaring example that I want to bring up is this: I went to pug for the first time in a while last night and was sent to crossroads. Nobody came to crossroads and i was just sitting there. The commander dropped the power node and the waypoint it created caused me to go down to something like 5 fps for several seconds.

It is similar to the micro hitching problem that I have suffered from, but I believe this has something to do with the optimizations of this current patch.

I have a mid-2012 MacBook Pro as well and I really really love it; but if you have the classic non-Retina one with 512 MB video memory like me I have bad news for you, even if you overclock your graphics card you just won't attain a decent framerate on this game since build 249 or so... it's related to the video memory size. My particular 650M is happy with a GTX 650's base clocks on core (1058 MHz) and ~3200 on memory (which gives it about 102.6 GB/s bandwidth, overall this should be a 250% increase over the ridiculously low stock Apple clocks, at the expense of like 5-10°C temperature increase when running fans maxed out, you can tame the processor to balance it out using Throttlestop).

• FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    I don't need a decent frame rate, just one that's constant :p

249 isn't the issue in this case. However I'm curious if I burned anything out since running ANSYS put all my cores to 90C+ with my 650M at about 70. Could it be a hard drive issue? Maybe because I'm partitioned and ANSYS ran through 8gb of memory and started writing to the hard drive. Think thats it?

Should I open this thing up and remove dust from the fans? I've abused it through 1150 hours of NS2