Removing map locations

NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
Is there any way to remove the text of the map overlay so it's just a map with no text? I know every location on every map and now that I'm using the Clean Maps mod, I would really like to get rid of the text on the map. I took a look through the files and I believe it is somewhere In the GUIMinimap files. Does anyone know how I could it?

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2013
    NeXuS wrote: »
    Is there any way to remove the text of the map overlay so it's just a map with no text? I know every location on every map and now that I'm using the Clean Maps mod, I would really like to get rid of the text on the map. I took a look through the files and I believe it is somewhere In the GUIMinimap files. Does anyone know how I could it?

Maybe look at GUIMinimap:InitializeLocationNames() ;) . BTW such questions fit better into the Modding Section.
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Maybe look at GUIMinimap:InitializeLocationNames() ;)
    I'm not the greatest with coding as I'm still learning but I tried using the // to negate the entire function. When I join a server, it says the game files do not match the server's. So I'm either doing it incorrectly or it's not possible to do it since the my files need match the server's files.
    BTW such questions fit better into the Modding Section.
    I'll keep that in mind for next time. Sorry. :(
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2013
    Ah np. It's just more modder will see you post if you post it in modding. About the issue you have: You can't just mod these files. You have to make sure that both sides have the modded files. Otherwise you will fail at the Consistency Check.

That is the reason there are so less client only mods.

Easiest way to start for now:

Open launchpad.exe and create a new Mod. Then open the source folder and delete everything else than the lua folder. Copy the GUIMinimap.lua into the lua folder in souce.

Modify it in any way you wish. Before you test it run the builder, he will copy/convert the files in the source folder into the output folder.

After the builder is done you can test your mod by clicking on launch game in the launchpad and play -> create a server. Please note you have to "recreate" the server to see codechanges.

If you are fine with your mod, you can even publish it to workshop via the launchpad.

Hope that helps.
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    ok well, what I did kinda worked. The names no longer appear but now the map is in the top left corner and rather small. Could you help me with which lines need to be edited or removed?
    edited December 2013
    My moded GUIMinimap.lua: https://gist.github.com/BrightPaul/d320d013ca1b829e25b2 (Updated)

Works as intended.

Edit: I see what you mean thought you want to remove names completly
    Thanks man. Awesome. Just a tiny problem. I can create a server and it works, but when I try to join a public server it say the files don't match the server's. How do I get around this?
    NeXuS wrote: »
    Thanks man. Awesome. Just a tiny problem. I can create a server and it works, but when I try to join a public server it say the files don't match the server's. How do I get around this?

I mentioned that before there is no way to get around. As you won't pass Consistency Check with any modded lua file. Only way to run a mod at a server is to ask the server admin to enable it or to set the given lua as ignore in the consistencycheck config.
    That sounds way over my head. lol How do I set the lua to ignore?
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2013
    Sigh...y u no check wiki.
    Y no one ever check wiki.
    Wiki console commands up to date
    http://wiki.unknownworlds.com/index.php/Console_Commands
    And yes, I know all the commands by heart.
    setmaplocationcolor <red> <green> <blue> <alpha> Sets the color of location names on the minimap. Numbers are from 0 to 255.

so....alpha of 0 would be.... INVISIBLE :-O

bind key setmaplocationcolor 0 0 0 0 :>
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Woah we have a wiki
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Yeeeeeeeeaaaaaaah. Been there forever. Also linked multiple places in the forum as well. #-o
    edited December 2013
    @SamusDroid I'll use the console command if nothing else works, but I would rather have a mod so I don't have to type it in the console EVERY game.