PhysX option - does it do anything?

KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
I remember that few builds ago, it did not. So how about 261 build, anyone knows if PhysX support has been implemented?

Comments

• meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    AFAIK It's 'on' whether or not you like it. I'm not sure why the option is there still.
  • ZinkeyZinkey Join Date: 2013-06-25 Member: 185694Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    AFAIK It's 'on' whether or not you like it. I'm not sure why the option is there still.

I think you may be getting confused with Texture Streaming?

Not sure about PhysX, any more informed people out there know?
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think it's still nothing
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    They said it does nothing.
    But the console on my nvidia (which can use physx) says it does use it.

I have not tried to check with nvidia's programs itself if this is true.

General rule of thumb (on any game):
    * nvidia card? Leave on unless the card sucks.
    * non vidia card? Your cpu will burn, leave it off.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Zinkey wrote: »

I think you may be getting confused with Texture Streaming?

Not sure about PhysX, any more informed people out there know?
    Aha you're right, I was even thinking 'texture streaming' in my head >_< Its been a long week lol

Does enabling physX via graphics card settings i.e. Nvidia controls have any effect?
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    IF ns2 uses physX hardware support then yes it would help. I did not check.
    Thankfully if you have a not to sucky nvidia card you can just enable it by default as it is in almost any case a gain.
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    If you turn on the "show Nvidia hardware Phsy support" debug option in the NVCP, you can see that NS2 DOES NOT use hardware PhysX apparently.

I am not exactly sure what it does.
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2013
    PhysX needs to die ASAP.
    I can live without that handful of extra particles.
    What I can't live with, is the huge slowdown that goes hand in hand with PhysX.

If you want to make a point and feature a meaningful use of physics in your game (e.g. Half-Life 2 or Portal), then use a Physics Engine that runs on EVERY system and doesn't slow down everything to a total stand-still. Havoc springs to mind. Hell, take every engine, as long as it is no god-damn PhysX...
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    Developers can use PhysX to bring some extra effects like extra particles, etc to a game.
    If your GPU is to weak your game is slowing down then for sure cause the exta GPU time it needs for PhysX.

But you can also use PhysX to free the CPU from some Physic-calculations wich should end in an faster game if you have an weak CPU.
    In this way you have no extra effects in the game.

I think this is how UWE is going to implement this.
    Dont know why this should be the wrong way.

The only problem with PhysX is that only nvidia cards can use it @Hamlet.
    This is simple due to that AMD/Nvidia war. Neither side is right.

As for being slow IF you have a nvidia card.. that just means your card is to weak to produce all the graphics of the game and you are behind regardless.
    If you try PhysX on a AMD card it runs on the cpu instead, which is slow as hell.