Game started crashing after upgrading computer

ZenuZenu Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72861Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited December 2013 in Technical Support
Hi,

I have started to experience crashes after upgrading my computer. I ran around with old RAM with 1333MHz for a while and played for few days without crashes but now also changed RAM to 2400MHz and now I crash every few hours atleast. I'm running on SLI with two GTX 780. Have been unable to send the automatic crash reports because the screen will stay black and I can't get the crash window on top of it.

motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Formula
CPU: i7 4770k @ 4.2GHz

Comments

• AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    edited December 2013
    Hmm, did you have windows 8 before? Aparently it's got problems still with anything fullscreen,
    Well anyway, could you go to
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/131384/how-to-make-a-good-tech-support-post and follow those steps?
    And try and get us a techsupport.zip (by running techsupport.exe, ofc.)
    Maybe a DXDiag would help too, considering this is only happened after upgrading hardware.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/run-directx-diagnostic-tool
    says vista but still semi-relevent in 8, i think.

Some other things, can you check if your ram is properly clicked in? it's possible that the cards are slightly off and your computer is having trouble (but not totaly so) loading them and therefore high ram items are crashing? Or is it just ns2?
  • ZenuZenu Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72861Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2013
    Here is techsupport.zip, it also included dxdiag. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/25891026/tech_support.zip

I haven't experienced crashes in other games so far so I think it's only NS2. Windows is also stable. I'll try to delete that options file as suggested in that thread. I have verified the game cache and it's ok.

update: Now Windows crashed while playing another game, so something is not right. Bluescreen said "system_service_exception". Bugcheck 0x0000003b
    edited December 2013
    Also have Asus AI Suite 3 installed and it generates this error in Windows logs, dunno if it's related. I have read from other forums that it can cause the display driver to crash. Quote from other forum: "I've tried reinstalling AI Suite 3 and the DipAwayMode.exe is even set to Run as Admin but it always crashes on booting into Windows. On occasions this causes Explorer.exe or the display driver to crash, not fatally but enough to delay the desktop appearing by up to 10 minutes (yes, you read that right, 10 minutes!). I'm booting from a 256 GB Crucial M4 SSD and have no problems running games or applications otherwise."

Faulting application name: DipAwayMode.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
    Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.3.9600.16408, time stamp: 0x523d4548
    Exception code: 0x40010006
    Fault offset: 0x00012eec
    Faulting process ID: 0x1330
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cef8ac14d6b98c
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\AI Suite III\DIP4\DIPAwayMode\DipAwayMode.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\KERNELBASE.dll
    Report ID: 52c60756-649f-11e3-bed7-d850e64e5f82
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

update: that DipAwayMode crash seemed to happen immediately after computer launch though it didn't cause any serious problems for me. I have now disabled that feature however since it doesn't seem to work anyway.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2013
    Generell i'm not a fan of auto tune software, could you download cpu-z: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html . Download the zip to run it without installing ;)

Then make a screenshot of the memory tab.
    Memory screenshot here. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/25891026/memory.jpg Modules are Kingston HyperX Predator Beast
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2013
    Rams look to work fine, have your tried a memtest: http://www.memtest.org/ . But beside that i think that some kind of background software causing that issue.
    Yeah, just haven't ran it completely yet cuz it takes several hours to run. Could maybe leave it for night. I have also suspected that some program causes it, maybe some of these Asus mobo softwares that I have running. Have to try to turn them off and see if it helps.
    Report back after you tried that ;)
    edited December 2013
    Now I had system hang up after playing for over a hour (ns2) :P. ctrl+alt+del didn't work anymore. Maybe something to do with bios since last few bios updates have been about improving stability?
    edited December 2013
    Normally ns2 shouldn't crash windows in such a way, so there has to be a issue in the background some not working driver, software etc. .
    edited December 2013
    I think I have GPU overheating problem because the temperatures seem to go up to 89 celsius in some games. I'm propably going to get some custom (water) coolers for the GPU's and some more case fans.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    That's definitely too hot..
    BUT, that crash report you pasted above clearly shows DipAwayMode.exe at fault, and that's that AI suite you were suspecting.
    Destroy it then see if you still have issues..
    Its faster than 4 hours of memtest <:-P
    Strangely the temperatures don't go that high on NS2 even though I would believe NS2 to be more taxing for the GPU. Temperatures in NS seemed to be around 80 celsius. Going to test how high temperatures rise while playing Metro: Last light :P. In any case I have ordered 2 more case fans and also new CPU radiator fans because the ones I bought weren't meant for this cooler, needs PWM (4-pin) fans instead of 3-pin :-(.
    Just a side note you know that 3-pin also work at 4-pin just the way how the fans are controlled is differend and with PWM you can set more specific values for each fan.
    Just a side note you know that 3-pin also work at 4-pin just the way how the fans are controlled is differend and with PWM you can set more specific values for each fan.

Yeah, but my CPU cooler seems to be picky (Antec KÜHLER H2O 920). It cries with "CPU fan error!" on boot but I can skip it by going thru bios. I have attached one of the two of the horrendously loud stock coolers to it (and one 3-pin which is attached to mobo) but it still cries. So I bought 2 expensive fans that are not compatible with it and have to buy another two to replace them -.-.

edited December 2013
    Zenu wrote: »

Yeah, but my CPU cooler seems to be picky (Antec KÜHLER H2O 920). It cries with "CPU fan error!" on boot but I can skip it by going thru bios. I have attached one of the two of the horrendously loud stock coolers to it (and one 3-pin which is attached to mobo) but it still cries. So I bought 2 expensive fans that are not compatible with it and have to buy another two to replace them -.-.

It may cries that out because you didn't connected the fan to the cpu fan plug ;)
    The pump is connected to the CPU fan plug :p. Cables to the fans come from the pump itself.
  • HEllrunner2kHEllrunner2k Join Date: 2013-07-05 Member: 185945Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I expierienced the lag spikes Hugh discribes in his 261 post in the first 3-5 encounters. It NEVER was en issue before and my rig can handle a lot more than this, usualy... what hugeness are you loading there on the fly.. or is the code wreked now?
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    And what about disabling that AI suite?
    Didn't need to disable whole AI suite:p. Has been stable since I disabled dipawaymode.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    uuuuhm... shot in the dark here but noone asked.

How did you OC your CPU? If I put in stronger modules then default on my i7, and I did, it starts messing with my cpu. If you OC your cpu you do not only OC your cpu either, the memory gets OCed also. (unless you have a unlocked multiplier)

I assume the new memory made your total rig unstable in terms of CPU oc, mem oc, or both.
  • TealcTealc Join Date: 2013-08-30 Member: 187226Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited December 2013
    I just upgraded to a 780 GTX about 2 hours ago, and NS2 has begun crashing after a few minutes of playtime. I also installed the H100i Corsair watering cooling to my CPU a yesterday and it was giving me some errors with Minecraft that I've never had before, but nothing with NS2 until the 780 GTX was installed. What is this dipawaymode you speak of?

I don't think build 262 is the problem, although my connection was acting up so I only played ~20 minutes of Eclipse in sandbox on my old Radeon 7950.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    @Tealc
    best to make a new topic. Yours seems (also) hardware related and those warrant there own topic. (so we can custom tailor answers)
    But a good start for you is temperature checks & as checking if your cpu underclocks due to heat.
    I used auto oc ;]. Maybe have to go to default values for testing. It was also too early to celebrate that the crashing stopped. Yesterday crashed once and today once with this message:

Faulting application name: ns2.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x52b0aa8e
    Faulting module name: DbgHelp.dll, version: 6.7.5.1, time stamp: 0x4678a3de
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x00067cb7
    Faulting process ID: 0x1200
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cefe5230dca7e8
    Faulting application path: G:\Steam\steamapps\common\Natural Selection 2\ns2.exe
    Faulting module path: G:\Steam\steamapps\common\Natural Selection 2\DbgHelp.dll
    Report ID: c17066df-6a46-11e3-beea-d850e64e5f82
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:
    dbghelp.dll is used in module debugging. I severely doubt that its ns2 itself.

I will urge you to look into your OC.
  • TealcTealc Join Date: 2013-08-30 Member: 187226Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I lowed my settings a little and gave my computer another restart. It seems to have fixed itself. My guess is the card may have needed more than one restart to install properly.
    When it doubt reboot again I suppose.
  • kinjokinjo India Join Date: 2016-12-07 Member: 224664Members
    I am having SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION problem in my PC.
  • kinjokinjo India Join Date: 2016-12-07 Member: 224664Members
    Here’s the mail I got recently for my problem
    Yeah, well.... This is a week old computer and I have been getting the system service exception constantly.... it is definitely related to Internet because that's when it happens... no idea what is causing it but it is continual. Hope Microsoft figures this out.... seems I'm not the only one... I am an IT manager so not an idiot when it comes to the computer.

Or otherwise try this: http://www.deskdecode.com/system-service-exception-0x0000003b/
    @kinjo Please open a new thread following the instructions of http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/131384/ for your issues.

I'm closing this one as it's almost 3 years old!
This discussion has been closed.